Top 5 Offensive and Defensive Teams

ptguard12

Top 5 Offensive Teams

1. Trenton Peabody - Absolutely dominant on the offensive end. They can beat you in transition or in the half-court game. They possess possibly the best post player in 1A in Jessica Bobbitt, who should get a Miss Basketball nomination. Throw into the mix Danielle Barnett and Jennifer Simpson, two very high powered offensive players, and you've got a recipe for high scoring games.

2. Perry County - They currently have two possible Miss Basketball candidates in junior post Alecia Weatherly and junior guard Kristal Edney. These two currently lead the mid-state in scoring in 1A with 22.5 (Weatherly) and 20.1 (Edney) points per game, while Edney also leads the mid-state (and possibly the entire state) in all classifications in 3-pointers made with 85. These two, coupled with a solid point guard and two up-and-coming freshmen, make them extremely dangerous when the ball is in their court.

3. Chattanooga Christian - They have dominated teams in their area, winning games by a margin of about 35.2 points per game. Most of that can be blamed on the team's star player, LaCondra Mason, who is making a big name for herself and setting herself apart from all the other players in the Chattanooga area.

4. Dresden - This Lady Lions team has made a living off of the 3-point shot as they have posted numerous double-digit makes from behind the arc in many of their games. Kaci Bailey is one of the state's premier point guards and Brooke Levister has established herself as maybe one of the most versatile post players in Class A.

5. Donelson Christian Academy - Quick in the transition, deadly in the half-court, tough on the inside, and streaky from the outside. This team is one of the most all around solid offensive teams in Tennessee. On any given night, any one of their players can beat you. However, much of their credit has to go to post player Kortni Hester who has stepped up to fill the huge shoes that were left behind by the Lady Wildcats' former star player, Keaton Bodiford.

Just Missed: Unaka, Clarkrange, Gleason, Summertown, Collinwood

Top 5 Defensive Teams

1. Donelson Christian Academy - They have the most smothering defense that I have seen thus far in 1A. They play 32 minutes of full court pressure defense. They pressure the ball handlers, step into passing lanes, and cause numerous turnovers. Though they play one of the toughest schedules in 1A, they are holding teams to only 42.6 ppg, which is a huge accomplishment considering some of the strong offensive A, AA, and AAA teams that they play.

2. Trenton Peabody - Size and quickness is what sets this team apart from most on the defensive end. Their press is relentless, which causes most teams alot of problems. However, their man-to-man play is what is so inspiring as there may not be a team in single A ball that can play it better then them.

3. Summertown - When you think of the Lady Eagles, the first thing that comes to mind is defense. They are extremely quick and they love to pressure you full court. You won't see them play zone too much as they are much more effective in man-to-man. They are small, but they don't let that keep them from boxing out and grabbing all the defensive boards.

4. Davidson Academy - Allowing their opponents what may be a mid-state low 35 points per game shows what kind of defense this team has. They'll get after you defensively, which DCA will attest to since the Lady Bears used that defense to keep them in the game agaisnt the very offensively powerful Lady Wildcats.

5. Westmoreland - Only giving up 36.7 ppg to their opponents, which is the lowest in a pretty good District 8A. They have confused teams with their changing defenses and shut down some of the mid-state's most potent offensive teams, such as Gordonsville and Friendship Christian. However, outside of these two, they haven't play many tough teams, so their opponent's ppg could be little misleading, but all reports about them say they are a pretty darn good defensive team.

Just Missed: Chattanooga Christian, Franklin Road Academy, Gleason, Perry County, Richland

Edited by ptguard12

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 5 Offensive Teams

1.  Trenton Peabody - Absolutely dominant on the offensive end.  They can beat you in transition or in the half-court game.  They possess possibly the best post player in 1A in Jessica Bobbitt, who should get a Miss Basketball nomination.  Throw into the mix Danielle Barnett and Jennifer Simpson, two very high powered offensive players, and you've got a recipe for high scoring games.

2.  Perry County - They currently have two possible Miss Basketball candidates in junior post Alecia Weatherly and junior guard Kristal Edney.  These two currently lead the mid-state in scoring in 1A with 22.5 (Weatherly) and 20.1 (Edney) points per game, while Edney also leads the mid-state (and possibly the entire state) in all classifications in 3-pointers made with 85.  These two, coupled with a solid point guard and two up-and-coming freshmen, make them extremely dangerous when the ball is in their court.

3.  Chattanooga Christian - They have dominated teams in their area, winning games by a margin of about 35.2 points per game.  Most of that can be blamed on the team's star player, LaCondra Mason, who is making a big name for herself and setting herself apart from all the other players in the Chattanooga area.

4.  Dresden - This Lady Lions team has made a living off of the 3-point shot as they have posted numerous double-digit makes from behind the arc in many of their games.  Kaci Bailey is one of the state's premier point guards and Brooke Levister has established herself as maybe one of the most versatile post players in Class A.

5.  Donelson Christian Academy - Quick in the transition, deadly in the half-court, tough on the inside, and streaky from the outside.  This team is one of the most all around solid offensive teams in Tennessee.  On any given night, any one of their players can beat you.  However, much of their credit has to go to post player Kortni Hester who has stepped up to fill the huge shoes that were left behind by the Lady Wildcats' former star player, Keaton Bodiford.

Just Missed:  Unaka, Clarkrange, Gleason, Summertown, Collinwood

Top 5 Defensive Teams

1.  Donelson Christian Academy - They have the most smothering defense that I have seen thus far in 1A.  They play 32 minutes of full court pressure defense.  They pressure the ball handlers, step into passing lanes, and cause numerous turnovers.  Though they play one of the toughest schedules in 1A, they are holding teams to only 42.6 ppg, which is a huge accomplishment considering some of the strong offensive A, AA, and AAA teams that they play.

2.  Trenton Peabody - Size and quickness is what sets this team apart from most on the defensive end.  Their press is relentless, which causes most teams alot of problems.  However, their man-to-man play is what is so inspiring as there may not be a team in single A ball that can play it better then them.

3.  Summertown - When you think of the Lady Eagles, the first thing that comes to mind is defense.  They are extremely quick and they love to pressure you full court.  You won't see them play zone too much as they are much more effective in man-to-man.  They are small, but they don't let that keep them from boxing out and grabbing all the defensive boards.

4.  Davidson Academy - Allowing their opponents what may be a mid-state low 35 points per game shows what kind of defense this team has.  They'll get after you defensively, which DCA will attest to since the Lady Bears used that defense to keep them in the game agaisnt the very offensively powerful Lady Wildcats.

5.  Westmoreland - Only giving up 36.7 ppg to their opponents, which is the lowest in a pretty good District 8A.  They have confused teams with their changing defenses and shut down some of the mid-state's most potent offensive teams, such as Gordonsville and Friendship Christian.  However, outside of these two, they haven't play many tough teams, so their opponent's ppg could be little misleading, but all reports about them say they are a pretty darn good defensive team.

Just Missed:  Chattanooga Christian, <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=151&SportID=2' target='_blank'>Franklin Road Academy</a>, Gleason, Perry County, Richland

825584163[/snapback]

How did tha Clarkrange Ladys Win State last year and not make tha list of single A defense or offense teams?

If you took the points scored per game average and the points allowed per game average of the ten teams you mentioned in each category, and placed them in order, Gordonsville would rank #8 in defense (40.4 points allowed per game) and #4 in offense (63.1 points per game). They are very evenly balanced on offense with several girls able to step up and take shots, eight players averaging between 6 and 12 points a game, and they play hard nosed, man to man defense.

I just wanted to give them some credit. they deserve it.

Hey point12, how does the current (ie this year, right now) number one team in the State by the AP and number two team by CoachT's rankings NOT EVEN make your top five in either category, and only makes honorable mention in one (offensive).  You midstaters dont get it.  We do play a little BB here in UET.

825585454[/snapback]

Yeah, but you don't play anyone all that tough and you struggle against those that are very average (cough cough CPA). I hear your offense is strong, but your defense could use some work, which is also evident by the amount of points Unaka gives up to those average teams. That is why they aren't in my top 5 on here. However, I realize that winning 27 games is impressive (no matter who you play) which is why I ranked you #2 in my poll last week, but that does not mean that you are one of the better offensive or defensive teams around.

And, all the while I thought you'd actually seen Unaka play. :unsure:

Well, it will all be settled within a couple weeks. My biggest fear is overall team speed, assuming you're right that all these other teams are lightening-fast. Unaka has a few players who can run and press with the Very Best of them; but they will have to be on their toes if they're to achieve Greatness in Murfreesboro.

As to the offensive/defensive rankings and schedules: All we can do is play who we play, within a few hundred miles of our place. Unaka did drive down to Pickett County around Thanksgiving, where the lone loss occured. Other than that, I don't think they've been asked to play there.

Incidentally, I think you do a great deal of work ....within your area. But I don't think the CPA folks will appreciate your arrogance; I certainly hadn't see that side of you before now. Otherwise I think you're like really funny.

Keep up the good "home"work; but, you really should watch the teams you comment on, either positively or negatively.

And, all the while I thought you'd actually seen Unaka play.  :unsure:

Well, it will all be settled within a couple weeks.  My biggest fear is overall team speed, assuming you're right that all these other teams are lightening-fast. Unaka has a few players who can run and press with the Very Best of them; but they will have to be on their toes if they're to achieve Greatness in Murfreesboro.

As to the offensive/defensive rankings and schedules:  All we can do is play who we play, within a few hundred miles of our place.  Unaka did drive down to Pickett County around Thanksgiving, where the lone loss occured.  Other than that, I don't think they've been asked to play there. 

Incidentally, I think you do a great deal of work ....within your area.  But I don't think the CPA folks will appreciate your arrogance; I certainly hadn't see that side of you before now.  Otherwise I think you're like really funny. 

Keep up the good "home"work; but, you really should watch the teams you comment on, either positively or negatively.

825585612[/snapback]

Most of them I do see, like CPA for example and they are average. I haven't seen Unaka, but I have made no secret about that. I can't very well drive the 5 hours over to see them, and I would if I could, but that's just too much time. Therefore, I have to go on what I hear, read, and remember about them (from last year's state tournament appearance). I think they are a great team, but they will need to be perfect if they expect to get past the 1st round of the state tournament where unfortunately they will have to play someone from the West (either Dresden, Gleason, or Peabody). A 27-1 record doesn't mean a thing once you reach Murfreesboro.

I agree with most of what you've just said; and thanks for staying up.

Maybe Julie Roberson won't have three fouls on her within the first four minutes ....and her fourth right after getting back on the court.  But like you said, that's IF they make it back. 

Again, we do appreciate the work you put into this.

825585622[/snapback]

Thanks. I appreciate fans like you that actually see the big picture sometimes. Some fans are so blinded by their love for their school that they do not take any type of criticism towards their team well. They believe their team is the best at everything. I am pretty sure that Unaka is going to make it back to state. They are just too good for the other teams over that way. I will put it this way, I will be absolutely shocked if they don't make it back and I look forward to seeing them in March.