Lady Cyclones District One Champions

coaches_corner

The Cyclones (25-5) took control of the contest in the first half, with a seemingly endless parade to the free-throw line where they shot 13-of-15.

Elizabethton finished 18-of-24 from the foul line in the contest, compared to the 3-of-6 free-throw shooting by Central.

825585642[/snapback]

I'm one of the first to complain about bad officiating (saw quite a bit of it in the S.G./CD game last night) but even if you get sent to the line...you still have to make those freethrows. Looks like the Cyclones did a pretty good job of it...75% from the freethrow line!

Though I didn't get to see the game, I'm sure it was a well deserved win by the undefeated champs in District 1.

Like, Sports Guy, I hope it's Elizabethton & Pigeon Forge in the finals. We've got a few games to go before we get there though.

By the way, Sports Guy, it was nice meeting you last night. Don't forget to post something about the radio coverage!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game last night and I think it was called fairly even. The ref's missed some on both ends, but it happens. Central was playing aggressively and that will lead to more fouls. End of story.

I want to give the Cyclones a big thumb they have been playing great down the stretch and do most of it without a great amount of fanfare. Do not loose your intensity if anything step it up a notch and get ready to play Monday.

To the fans of both sides of the court last night, the players are there to play a game and should not be ridiculed for fouling out. You shouldn’t stand and wave bye bye to a player that just fouled out. This is poor sportsmanship and a bad example to set for the younger fans in attendance. We should applaud the effort put fort by the player and leave it at that. IMO. :huh:

Again good luck to the fighting Cyclones

LTM:

That wont be finalized until the coaches meeting tommorrow. The prevailing thought is that the number one and four seeds, boys and girls will play monday with the twos and threes playing tuesday; semis on wednesday and finals thursday. However that is not set in stone.

TimmoSams:

You have a point about the fouling out, but fans will be fans! I know a Cougar fan got thrown out for improper gestures, so emotions were running high on both sides, especially after 22 tried to hurt Val with the intentional foul. I thought for the most part our fans were into the game and loud.

thumb thumb thumb

Great job Lady Cyclones! All of Betsy are very proud of you,keep focused as the competition just got a little stronger. We will follow you all the way to the State.

Betsy fans let's not get caught up in the name calling and poor sportmanship directed at the kids or other fans. we are classier than that!

GREAT JOB GIRLS!!!

Cyclones Nightmare,

I stand before you as the Cyclones' Biggest Critic. I've expected them to fall apart time and again. Each time I think they're going to break down, they seem to become even more determined, more resilient. And this despite having, or using, little-to-no bench.

I've pondered so many "what if" scenarios: "What if they played Unaka?" "What if they have Injuries?" "What if they get into Foul Trouble?" "What if Coach Farthing moves to Nashville?" La De Da.

It's time to state the Obvious: These Cyclones are for Real! The regular season Conference Race was no race at all. The District Tournament proved to be more a disappointment for the Lady Blue Devil faithful than any expected Lady Cyclone catastrophe. They've won their games with a tremendous half-court trap, led by Valneesha Redd. They have simply overwhelmed most opponents. Yes, they gamble by bringing Rikki Baughman up front at times, which might still get them beat against a very good passing team; but again, Nightmare, they're still Winning.

Let's just give these Ladies in Orange their due. They could not have had preferential officiating at Every Gym they've played in. They've managed to play very aggressive, yet very smart.

And for what it's worth, they are some of the very nicest Ladies I've met to date.

Cyclones Nightmare,

I stand before you as the Cyclones' Biggest Critic.  I've expected them to fall apart time and again.  Each time I think they're going to break down, they seem to become even more determined, more resilient.  And this despite having, or using, little-to-no bench. 

I've pondered so many "what if" scenarios:  "What if they played Unaka?"  "What if they have Injuries?"  "What if they get into Foul Trouble?"  "What if Coach Farthing moves to Nashville?"  La De Da.   

It's time to state the Obvious:  These Cyclones are for Real!  The regular season Conference Race was no race at all.  The District Tournament proved to be more a disappointment for the Lady Blue Devil faithful than any expected Lady Cyclone catastrophe. They've won their games with a tremendous half-court trap, led by Valneesha Redd.  They have simply overwhelmed most opponents.  Yes, they gamble by bringing Rikki Baughman up front at times, which might still get them beat against a very good passing team; but again, Nightmare, they're still Winning.

Let's just give these Ladies in Orange their due.  They could not have had preferential officiating at Every Gym they've played in.  They've managed to play very aggressive, yet very smart.

And for what it's worth, they are some of the very nicest Ladies I've met to date.

825587483[/snapback]

That didn't hurt. Krich has his favorite, just as I, but at heart, he is a fan of all of the teams in the county. He supports his ladies, but writes positives concerning HV, Hampton, Cloudland and Eliz. He might have had a bit of a twinge, but no pain :D

thumb  thumb  thumb

Great job Lady Cyclones! All of Betsy are very proud of you,keep focused as the competition just got a little stronger. We will follow you all the way to the State.

Betsy fans let's not get caught up in the name calling and poor sportmanship directed at the kids or other fans. we are classier than that!

GREAT JOB GIRLS!!!

825586338[/snapback]

I was most impressed with the Cyclone fans applause of Central's team, despite the booing by a good portion of the Cougar fans as the Cyclones were announced as the district champs. Let's keep the Cyclone side of the court classy win or lose. thumb

Krich: You are being too hard on yourself!! Throughout the year, you have given the cyclones credit and their due, but you, as did many others, played the "what if" game. Its human nature. So far Coach Wilson has been pushing all the right buttons. His handling of this team to-date, the way they have grown into such an unselfish team, is outstanding. The one thing all these kids want, from the JVers, to the varsity players that dont get much time, to the leaders of the team, is simply to WIN. The younger kids who arent playing much or at all, know their time will come if they work hard.

GLee: We do want good sportsmanship, but it is okay to be LOUD isnt it!!

I predicted Unicoi County would win the regular season title; but it didn't happen, and for three (or more) key reasons:

1)Weaver, Sparks and Lingerfelt were injured, and Unicoi lost a couple games while recovering. They never approached last season's dominant form.

2)Bad Shooting; both from outside, and the free throw line. The lack of confidence, and especially by the Unicoi guards, seems to magnify with each game, and with each loss.

3)***Elizabethton is much better than originally anticipated.***

But sadder still for Unicoi, it might be too late for a last minute injection of self-confidence, as a first round visit from the South side of Greeneville looms.

Will be awfully interesting to see who EHS pulls for in the first round. :lol: