Bearden 2015

NewB

And one of the reasons the football program has struggled is because those baseball and basketball athletes tend to be one sport athletes.  Very few kids play one of those and football at Bearden.  It's not a school where in recent history athletes have been "shared" by sports.  

It's a shame.  That's getting to be what it's like in more and more places.

It used to be that your studs might be All Conference or even All State in 2-3 sports.  Now they don't even try because every sport has a yearlong grind.

In football you have to lift and train year round to be in game shape, but I don't understand why kids can't do that while they're also playing basketball and baseball.

Actually, I do, but AAU and traveling teams are B.S. and they're ruining youth athletics at all levels.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nothingelsematters

The new OC's name I believe is Shelton?  He was a new guy last year and coached the defensive backs.  I'm not quite sure where he was before Bearden, but seems pretty young.  Coach Fendley is still out there, or at least was Monday.  Apparently, Bearden had TWO offensive line coaches last year (this was news to me).  One of the offensive line coaches left, not sure what his name is.  You're right about the tough schedule though.  Gonna be a long haul for the Bulldogs, but I'll always be there.  There's no way the offense will be as bad as it was last year though.  Maybe the worst offense I've ever seen in high school football.  You follow closely nothingelse?  I'm new to the chatter.  Would love to hear your thoughts.

How do you go from being db coach to OC? If this Shelton guy is so good then why was he not the OC last year? Was Shinlever keeping him hid on defense so he could throw (really waste) last year seniors season. THE db's were not so hot last year so he gets a promotion? What happened to the second coming of Quarles from the former qb coach with the so called Maryville pedigree like most of the rest of the coaching staff. Maybe he could throw an unproven qb/oc in there and everyone would trust Shinlevers decision just because he was from Maryville? If it blows up,(it did 1-9 except for some old school Delong on o and d in the last game or it would have been0-10), Shinlever could blame it on qb/oc coach and look good if Shelton pulls out some wins in 15. Well if it does not work in 15, then what is the excuse. The D, the kicking game, injuries, schedule, or matbe blame it on the the boosters club? The real blame should be put on the principal for hiring the HC with no successful HC or coordinator experience on either side of the football. Bearden football is going to keep going down until the principal leaves because he got rid of a very good and successful HC and hired an unproven hc that both the principal and new hc and former ad both had a grudge against. Bearden football might not ever recover but they will still have great academics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest nothingelsematters

New OC came over from Unicoi County.  He's very big on zone read and multiple formations and personnel packages.  They'll look a lot like an NFL team on offense with read option thrown in.

They've got some good coaches on staff.  Bearden is now guaranteed a playoff spot next year under the new Super 32 realignment, even if they go 0-10, but they have a BRUTAL district and were 1-9 last year with a very young team that was starting a bunch of freshmen at the highest classifcation in TSSAA football.

Long-term, this group could grow up and surprise some people in a year or two, but Maryville, Dobyns-Bennett, Science Hill, Hardin Valley, etc. aren't going anywhere.

To the OP, Bearden has traditionally been very good in basketball and baseball, but football is up and down.  They'll have good years and bad years.  They've been on a downswing for a little while, but academically that school is top notch and rivals a good private school.  I hope your son loves it there!

Are you saying that the new oc played or coached at Unicoi Co. What has Unicoi ever had in football?

I like Morgan, but this was a typical east tennessee/knox county hire. Never win more than 5 games. Need to quit blaming coaches who think they can do it and start pointing the finger at the admin who have no clue about football. There is not another state in the southeast that would hire a position coach who has never called a play to be the HC at one of the biggest schools in the state.

How do you go from being db coach to OC? If this Shelton guy is so good then why was he not the OC last year? Was Shinlever keeping him hid on defense so he could throw (really waste) last year seniors season. THE db's were not so hot last year so he gets a promotion? What happened to the second coming of Quarles from the former qb coach with the so called Maryville pedigree like most of the rest of the coaching staff. Maybe he could throw an unproven qb/oc in there and everyone would trust Shinlevers decision just because he was from Maryville? If it blows up,(it did 1-9 except for some old school Delong on o and d in the last game or it would have been0-10), Shinlever could blame it on qb/oc coach and look good if Shelton pulls out some wins in 15. Well if it does not work in 15, then what is the excuse. The D, the kicking game, injuries, schedule, or matbe blame it on the the boosters club? The real blame should be put on the principal for hiring the HC with no successful HC or coordinator experience on either side of the football. Bearden football is going to keep going down until the principal leaves because he got rid of a very good and successful HC and hired an unproven hc that both the principal and new hc and former ad both had a grudge against. Bearden football might not ever recover but they will still have great academics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Somebody's pretty passionate about this.  Are you the former HC?  :popcorneater:

Just kidding nothingelse.  I'm not sure of the pedigree of any of the coaches of this year's or last year's staff.  All I know is from what I watched last year, and what I saw the other day, as of right now, they're better coached.  Will that translate into a lot of wins?  Probably not.  But I'm gonna go on out on a limb and say they won't be the train wreck they were last year offensively.  Turning the ball over all the time, interceptions, fumbles, and probably the must poorly coached quarterbacks and offensive line that I've ever seen.  Most of the time the kids just looked like they had no direction. 

Edited by BeardenBulldog65

It's a shame.  That's getting to be what it's like in more and more places.

It used to be that your studs might be All Conference or even All State in 2-3 sports.  Now they don't even try because every sport has a yearlong grind.

In football you have to lift and train year round to be in game shape, but I don't understand why kids can't do that while they're also playing basketball and baseball.

Actually, I do, but AAU and traveling teams are B.S. and they're ruining youth athletics at all levels.

This +Infinity

Sounds like you are pretty close to the program to have all that information...

From reading and talking to people around the program it sounds like the offense last year had no identity, no leadership, and not any well coached O-Lineman. So if what  Bulldog is saying is true, it sounds like they are at least being coached this year. 

I'd rather have an unproven OC that has a plan, leadership qualities, and a drive to coach fundamentals, Then an OC that won state championship rings in high school, no plan, and can't lead.

P.S. Maybe Shinlever is improving his staff and making necessary changes because coaches could not get the job done last year. 

Only logic to this is you must be a bitter ex coach / teacher and a poor one at that. If you're as passionate as you pretend to be; you'd be having rallies, meetings, or demonstrations. Instead, you're on here tearing down people that are trying to do right by kids-- anonymously at that.

My nephew loves his coaches and is excited about actually being coached. I plan on trying to make as many games as I can. Especially knowing you aren't on the sidelines.

Sounds like you are pretty close to the program to have all that information...

From reading and talking to people around the program it sounds like the offense last year had no identity, no leadership, and not any well coached O-Lineman. So if what  Bulldog is saying is true, it sounds like they are at least being coached this year. 

I'd rather have an unproven OC that has a plan, leadership qualities, and a drive to coach fundamentals, Then an OC that won state championship rings in high school, no plan, and can't lead.

P.S. Maybe Shinlever is improving his staff and making necessary changes because coaches could not get the job done last year.

Agreed.

Guest nothingelsematters

I like Morgan, but this was a typical east tennessee/knox county hire. Never win more than 5 games. Need to quit blaming coaches who think they can do it and start pointing the finger at the admin who have no clue about football. There is not another state in the southeast that would hire a position coach who has never called a play to be the HC at one of the biggest schools in the state.

At this level of football like or dislike does not really matter. Wins and losses matter. I agree with you that the principal has no clue about what he is doing with his football hires, but Shinlever got the ball rolling when he decided to go the ad route and he and the principal became partners. 5 wins would be a stretch.

Guest nothingelsematters

Only logic to this is you must be a bitter ex coach / teacher and a poor one at that. If you're as passionate as you pretend to be; you'd be having rallies, meetings, or demonstrations. Instead, you're on here tearing down people that are trying to do right by kids-- anonymously at that.

My nephew loves his coaches and is excited about actually being coached. I plan on trying to make as many games as I can. Especially knowing you aren't on the sidelines.

It really does not matter who I am, I could be anybody. I hope that you do come to as many games as possible and bring as many other fans as you can because Bearden will need all the gate money they can get so maybe they can pay their bills this year. I hope your nephew gets a lot out of all of that fund raising he will be doing. Maybe look into BHS finances and see people scramble for answers. There is a puzzle to put together about all of this and somebody will put it together someday. Anybody been following Blackman lately?

It really does not matter who I am, I could be anybody. I hope that you do come to as many games as possible and bring as many other fans as you can because Bearden will need all the gate money they can get so maybe they can pay their bills this year. I hope your nephew gets a lot out of all of that fund raising he will be doing. Maybe look into BHS finances and see people scramble for answers. There is a puzzle to put together about all of this and somebody will put it together someday. Anybody been following Blackman lately?

Based on this, let me add fired ex coach / teacher. It matters because you wreak of bias and personal agenda. It's always easier to attack what you couldn't get done yourself. Internet conspiracy theorists are the yellowist versions of cowards you'll ever meet. Bottom line is you're obviously not "just anybody" and have issues with current coaches. Grow a pair and darken their office after a practice one day. Report back when you do.