Whitehaven @ White Station - Week 7

kwc

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick news flash...even though they lost today. Dontae Vaughn got his first interception with Notre Dame.

So Donte got in the game as a true freshman and got his first INT. We need a clip of that to post in this thread. I'm sure it's probably on his twitter by now! ... LOL, I know it would be on mine!

I wouldn't say WS has been tested. Desoto central is not a top tier team. Besides trezvant gave them the biz last week. CBHS is a good game but they haven't played a real threat like we have so far...but bein this is a division game against one of our toughest outs, like always it could turn out to be another good game...they are a thorn in our side every year...but I believe in our D and we will get it done....

I wouldn't say WS has been tested. Desoto central is not a top tier team. Besides trezvant gave them the biz last week. CBHS is a good game but they haven't played a real threat like we have so far...but bein this is a division game against one of our toughest outs, like always it could turn out to be another good game...they are a thorn in our side every year...but I believe in our D and we will get it done....

Ok ... let's analyse the schedules and see how we compare to each other.

White Station is 4-2 on the year and they are currently ranked the #10 in the Tennessee 6A AP Poll. This is their first time being ranked in the Tennessee 6A AP Poll for the 2016 season. To date, their opponents are 17-18 on the season. Out of the six teams that they have played, four of those teams are 0.500 or above. CBHS (5-1), Desoto Central (4-2), Arlington (4-2), and Bartlett (3-3). They've lost two of those games ... CBHS (22-14) and Desoto Central (16-7). The Arlington game was a shoot-out with WS winning 45-35. They beat the brakes off of Bartlett 55-7 last week. They've been tested. Their losses were to good to decent teams. Desoto Central isn't a slouch team. I agree, they aren't world beaters either ... but they are none-the-less, 4-2 on the season. 

Whitehaven is 6-0 on the year and are currently ranked #3 in the Tennessee 6A AP Poll. We've been there all year since the season began. To date Whitehaven's opponents are 14-21 on the season. Whitehaven has only played against two teams that are above 0.500 this season. Arlington (4-2) and Ridgeway (4-2). We beat Arlington 47-17 and we beat Ridgeway 27-8. I will also add that Ridgeway is currently ranked #7 in the Tennessee 4A AP Poll. Just based on the numbers, White Station's schedule is more impressive then Whitehaven's. Someone standing from the outside looking in would say that White Station's schedule, to date, is tougher then Whitehaven's.

Let's look at common opponents ... which would be the team in bold above. WS was in a shoot out with them and Whitehaven beat them pretty solidly. Arlington is a Region 4, 6A school, so both teams have a victory against that team in that regard.

Let's look at stats, according to the Shelby Metro Sports Blog website.

When you look at the Updated Individual Stats as of 9-22-16. Offensively, through the first 5 games of the season, you will find that Whitehaven's Kylan Watkins is one of the leading RBs in the Shelby County area, regardless of classification, with 692 total rushing yds on 97 carries, as well as, being one of the top all-purpose RBs averaging 170 ypg. You will also find that Whitehaven's QB, Lesley Mosby is rated among the top in the area based upon performance (29 Comp/53 Att/645 yds/55% Comp. Rate/4TDs/3INTs), also, regardless of class. White Station's Micah Breckenridge is just killing it. As of the 25th of September he has hit 14/16 XPs and 5/6 FGs to combine for 29 points thus far. He is listed 4th the Shelby County area, regardless of classification. Defensively, Whitehaven's Aubrey Miller is listed among the leaders in INTs with 3 so far, with 2 of those returned for TDs.

When you look at the Updated Team Stats as of 9-22-16, offensively through 5 games, Whitehaven is rated the 16th best in scoring at 31.8 ppg. Whitrehaven is listed as the 11th best team in rushing yards at 228.6 ypg and White Station is listed 16th at 205.8 ypg. Neither school is listed in the top 20 in passing yards per game. However, in overall offense, Whitehaven is listed 6th at 358.6 ypg while White Station isn't listed in the top 20. Defensively, Whitehaven is listed 8th in scoring only allowing 11.8 ppg. White Station isn't listed in the top 20 in scoring defense. Whitehaven is listed 9th in rushing yards per game allowed at 74.4 ypg. WS isn't in the top 20 list. Neither team is listed in the top 20 in fewest passing yards allowed. Whitehaven is listed 14th in total defensive yardage allowed at 204.2 ypg. WS isn't listed in the top 20.

The stats pages will be updated on Thursday, September 29 to reflect last weeks games upon the database ... for those who are interested.

Edited by kwc

So what does White Station'S offense look like now this season. I've heard different things. How do they score now that Dillon Mitchell is playing WR at Oregon?

I haven't got an answer to my question coach10ac. What do we have to stop in order to stop White Station now that Dillon isn't there anymore?

With all those dam stats you just posted, seems like to me you should know the answer to that. ...lol...but you counting Bartlett as a test? Really kdub!!! Desoto central is not even a factor in MS.when they do anything worth talking about get back to me...I don't get into stats because different play each other different...we beat the brakes off Arlington(example) WS struggled with them so stats don't matter to me...they have struggled and lost to tougher teams where we have excelled...but this is always a tough game regardless of records. But I think this time we will dominate this game!!!

With all those dam stats you just posted, seems like to me you should know the answer to that. ...lol...but you counting Bartlett as a test? Really kdub!!! Desoto central is not even a factor in MS.when they do anything worth talking about get back to me...I don't get into stats because different play each other different...we beat the brakes off Arlington(example) WS struggled with them so stats don't matter to me...they have struggled and lost to tougher teams where we have excelled...but this is always a tough game regardless of records. But I think this time we will dominate this game!!!

I'm not counting Bartlett as a test, not at this point in the season anyway. However, I am taking into consideration how competitive they where with CBHS. I know the loss to Desoto Central wasn't a good thing in your view, but at this point in the season DC doesn't look all that bad just because DC is 4-2 at this present moment of the season and the margin of victory was close. They get the benefit of the doubt.

As far as stats are concerned, I don't throw all of my trust solely on data alone. Consideration has to given to the strength of the opponents to which those stats were derived. That's why using stats alone, without any knowledge of whom the teams that were played to get those stats could lead to unwise decisions ... if you make a decision based on data alone.

That being said, it does give you an idea of how a team performs when you take everything into account when looking at the data. 

All of that being stated, Whitehaven is the favorite and White Station is the underdog, just based on recent history between the two programs. White Station is a different program now that it is being run by coach Joe Rocconi. I've watched his leadership from afar. In my mind the jury is still out but he's established the type of program he wants to run. That is a program that had as much talent flocking to it as any in the city, if not more at times. Only time will tell.

I think we win this game. I think it will be a tough game. I'd love to see us dominate.