Middleton class A state champs

How many ads in the Sun are from Hardeman County or Lake County?  How often do you see out of Jackson ads compared with Jackson ads?

Do they cover the private schools more?  You mean the schools who's supporters buy a significant portion of the ads?  You bet. 

If I ran the Sun, I doubt if I'd do anything differently as far as sports coverage.  Why would you?

Why would you??? You would if you want to sell papers in those outlying areas ... and also if you did wish to get advertisement from those areas.

Why should businesses in those areas advertise with the Jackson Sun in addition to their local county paper when it would not increase their business???

Now, if you wish to sell your newspaper in an area (which brings in $$$) why would you not cover that area?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many ads in the Sun are from Hardeman County or Lake County?  How often do you see out of Jackson ads compared with Jackson ads?

Do they cover the private schools more?  You mean the schools who's supporters buy a significant portion of the ads?  You bet. 

If I ran the Sun, I doubt if I'd do anything differently as far as sports coverage.  Why would you?

825627107[/snapback]

They try to sell there paper in these areas so they should cover the sports teams for those areas. If they covered the sports they would sell more papers and make advertisments for the businesses of those areas worth the money.

i personally have no problem with the jackson sun. they have put Bolivar in their plenty of times this year. i'd imagine Middleton will get more coverage in the sun next year with them being the defending state champs. i know our picture started hitting the front page alot more after we won last year. yall can complain about it but i'd die if all we had was the bolivar bulletin or hardeman times whatever its called. that paper kills me....the ball games they cover in it are games we played 2 weeks ago.

:rolleyes: come on my friends to the north, you have got to be joking right.  The Jackson Sun the the most bias, liberal paper in Tennessee.  Case in point, Middleton wins Sub-state, are you with me.  What does the Jackson Sun put on the front page?  Jackson Christian loosing their game.  I would be fine with that if the paper promoted being a Jackson paper but they claim to be a West Tennessee paper.  Thats my point.  Sure Lake CO and others have had articles but the majority of quality articles are USJ, JACKSON CHRISTIAN, TRINITY CHRISTIAN, see a trend!!!

825626938[/snapback]

no..it shouldnt be called the jackson sun..it should be called the "usj paper" cuz they always have somethin in there about usj girls basketball..i wonder why...i know!

:ph34r: come on my friends to the north, you have got to be joking right.  The Jackson Sun the the most bias, liberal paper in Tennessee.  Case in point, Middleton wins Sub-state, are you with me.  What does the Jackson Sun put on the front page?  Jackson Christian loosing their game.  I would be fine with that if the paper promoted being a Jackson paper but they claim to be a West Tennessee paper.  Thats my point.  Sure Lake CO and others have had articles but the majority of quality articles are USJ, JACKSON CHRISTIAN, TRINITY CHRISTIAN, see a trend!!!

825626938[/snapback]

Okay, I have got to say it. I am so sick of seeing people use the word LOOSE for the word LOSE. I know, I know, I know, I am being picky - BUT it is driving me nuts. Good grief, read your posts before you put them on here!!!!!

A team either WINS or LOSES. It does not LOOSE a game. In fact, teams that are feeling a little LOOSE usually do not LOSE.

Other than that, I agree with Middletonfan35. The Sun really doesn't cover that area of West Tennessee very well.

When the Sun does run a story about a team from another town playing a Jackson school (i.e. Peabody girls vs. USJ on the front page of the Sun following the championship game), the stories can tend to be slanted toward the Jackson school. After the horrible tragedy of the death of Sarah Beth Whitehead (and I absolutely mean no disrespect, for her death was so very untimely) I knew the Sun would either say her death propelled the Lady Bruins to victory or be the reason they were mentally drained and did not win, which is what the Sun did.

I thought it kind of took away from the achievement of the Lady Tide, but it is really tough to say that after the loss of a teenager, and I realize some people may be offended - that is truly not my point. I am just saying the Sun is going to tell a story from a Jackson school perspective. They did do a nice job in the sports section on Peabody's win, and the pictorials on the backs of the sports sections after both tournaments were nicely done.

However, BlackSunshine does have a point about the advertising aspect. We have to remember the Sun is a business and not bound to cater to anyone except its bottom line.

the sun's been like that for as long as i can remember. yeah, we got more coverage this year bc we were defending state champs, but we've been as good and in most cases better than most of the teams they ALWAYS write about! they don't always give credit where the credit is due. but it's ok, after so many years of being looked over by the jackson sun, we are used to it. and there are TWO gold balls sitting in hardeman county today, so i think we'll be alright!

Hey everyone. I am a middleton cheerleader. MHS is losing some of its main starters this year. Those being, #33 Smith, #25 Hunt, #31 Williams. The other two starters will be returing, that is Murden and McKinnie. I dont think that Middleton will suffer too much next year. I am glad that this happened in my senior year. I am so excited, still, and its over. I am glad that I got to cheer my LAST game at a State Championship and I am glad we won that game. We really deserved it this year. Our boys worked VERY hard.....I cant even imagine running the HWY. Good Luck next year boys. I know I will be there to watch.

CONGRATS TO M *TOWN AND B*TOWN thumb

WOW!!!! WE DID IT. I will always remember that game for the rest of my life. I was so excited. As a senior, it was my last game to cheer, so we did it all out. I am so proud of you guys. You did just what we went to do, and that was to bring the GOLD BALL back to HARDEMAN CO. I remember listening to some of our basketball boys talkin before we went to state. They said, before its all said and done, we will have shirts that say "STATE CHAMPS" on them and we do. I love all ya'll. GOOD JOB!!! thumb

WOW!!!! WE DID IT. I will always remember that game for the rest of my life. I was so excited. As a senior, it was my last game to cheer, so we did it all out.  I am so proud of you guys. You did just what we went to do, and that was to bring the GOLD BALL back to HARDEMAN CO.  I remember listening to some of our basketball boys talkin before we went to state. They said, before its all said and done, we will have shirts that say "STATE CHAMPS" on them and we do.  I love all ya'll. GOOD JOB!!! thumb

825629162[/snapback]

Hey there Lollie. You know who I am I helped you out at work tonight (cant tell you who I am though because I would have to kill you lol.) But yeah I am right with you I am soo proud of the Class A 2005 State Champs. And about the shirts I remember when we got the District Champ shirts and they were charging people $6 for them M.W. and C.S. said that everyone better have lots of $6 because if they made a shirt for every Championship that they were going to win that they would need lots of money because they would soon have one that said STATE CHAMPS! I am soo proud of you boys for going to the BORO and getting exactly what yall wanted, that will be a time that everyone will remember!

Hey. Yea, I do believe I know who you are. I appreciate the help at work too. I have a full schedule this week. Anyway, yea, I remember M.W. and C.S. sayin that. They were right too. We went all the way and will hopefully do the same next year. We did what we came to do...its over for class of 2005. We knew that we would make a difference and we did. THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALWAYS SUPPORTING US.

hey lollie!!! guess who.... gimme a sackful and ill tell u lol u were talkin ab this while we were on the phone so i figured id write something...i am sooo proud of our boys, bein in the boro was the best experience i have ever had and winning stae just completed it and everyone thats hatin get over it cuz we won duh!! theres nuthin u can say now just congratulate us we'd do the same 4 yall....GO TIGERS hardeman county rulz bye!