2005 Mr. Basketball Winners

CoachT

Doaks was the best athlete in A basketball this season, but not the best "basketball player". I know seeing Skogen play that he was a better player. I have never seen the kid of McEwen play so I can't comment on him. And, gomab you don't decide who has credibility and who doesn't. I'll say Doaks is overhyped because its the truth. And, I make that statement and still retain my credibility. I hope Doaks turns out to be a great player at UTC because I am from about an hour outside of there and follow the team. I know, you know, and coach Shumate knows that he is a "project" at the D1 level. He has a lot of work to do to be able to compete at that level.

Edited by therickbol

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would agree with you about Caleb Skogen.

He should have won the award -- but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

825625453[/snapback]

No...i didnt say Skogen should have won i said i figured he would. Im glad Doaks won, he deserved it i just didnt figure it was possible with Temple only losing 1 game this year. Doaks is the best athlete in A and he carried his team to the title game, people talked about how horrible he played after the first game when he scored 19 points and 13 rebounds....what a joke?

Game.....how the heck do you figure Brewer got ripped off last year....he won Mr. Basketball!

I have nothing against any of these guys.  All are very talented.  Most are over-rated however. Doaks definitely should not have won the award.  Why?  When you take into consideration that he nearly cost his team a chance of even making it to state due to poor sportsmanship and when you consider how few pts. he has scored beginning with is 12 pt. sub-state performance you know it was pure hype that got him this award.  I doubt he is even the best player on his own team.  On what basis do I say that:  when he was suspended for getting two technicals, his teammates beat a good Greenfield team without him.  Someone other than Doaks pulled off the win vs JCS in the sub-state game not to mention two JCS starters fouling out.  Niccy D. must improve to play at the next level.  Let's hope he does.  We'll be pulling for you Niccy D.

Represent West Tn well in Chattagnnooga.

825624626[/snapback]

Another jealous person! Doaks deserved to win Mr. Basketball. Some of you guys are pitiful. Stop drinking the hater-aid. Great job Doaks and good luck to you in years to come! From a true fan of basketball no matter if they're from my home team (Halls) or not!

No...i didnt say Skogen should have won i said i figured he would. Im glad Doaks won, he deserved it i just didnt figure it was possible with Temple only losing 1 game this year. Doaks is the best athlete in A and he carried his team to the title game, people talked about how horrible he played after the first game when he scored 19 points and 13 rebounds....what a joke?

Game.....how the heck do you figure Brewer got ripped off last year....he won Mr. Basketball!

825625555[/snapback]

He should have won all four Mr. Basketball awards last year, and two Miss Basketball awards!

J.P. Prince and Thaddeous Young are perhaps two of the best talents to come through the city of Memphis in a long time and they represent Memphis by winning class AA and AAA Mr. Basketball awards respectively. Reginald Delk and Tyler Smith are talented players, but these Mr. Basketball winners are more than that. Both could play in the NBA and will have major impacts on college basketball. It's a shame J.P. will never play at Memphis, but Thaddeous Young just might.

Voting for all classes was due in before the tournaments started, correct?

Just a point of discussion for all three classes.  If all of the people who could have voted could have changed their vote at the end of each respective game, do you think they would have?

Who would have gotten it, instead?

825626233[/snapback]

After the tournaments, in A I think it would of still been Doaks who had a good performance at stae, In AA without a doubt Kemp would have took it because of his play, and also the fact that the other two didn't make it. In AAA, Delk had a pretty good tournament besides the big loss to Ridgeway, and I know Niles wasn't a finalist, but how could you overlook him.

i agree with bsims i think if the voting was after state tournament some votes would have changed specifically AA and AAA. i dont see why they vote before the season is over anyway. the winner is supposed to be the best player in his class this season but the season isnt even finished when they vote. anybody can do it in the regular season, but the big dogs get it done in the postseason.

I disagree with you on this one. I think the Mr. Basketball should be the best player in his classification, not necessarily the one who leads his team to the state finals. You already have an award for that- the state tournament MVP.

2005 ALL-TOURNEY TEAM: AARON DUKE-EZ HARDING, JOE LACKEY-EZ HARDING, DANIEL DOYLE-WAYNE CO, MONTERRIO WILLIAMS-MIDDLETON, CHRIS SMITH-MIDDLETON, MACK ASHBURN-PEABODY, NICCHAEUS DOAKS-PEABODY, MARQ MURDEN-MIDDLETON (MVP), JAMICHAEL MCKINNIE-MIDDLETON, GREG RAMSEY-PEABODY

I disagree with you on this one. I think the Mr. Basketball should be the best player in his classification, not necessarily the one who leads his team to the state finals. You already have an award for that- the state tournament MVP.

2005 ALL-TOURNEY TEAM: AARON DUKE-EZ HARDING, JOE LACKEY-EZ HARDING, DANIEL DOYLE-WAYNE CO, MONTERRIO WILLIAMS-MIDDLETON, CHRIS SMITH-MIDDLETON, MACK ASHBURN-PEABODY, NICCHAEUS DOAKS-PEABODY, MARQ MURDEN-MIDDLETON (MVP), JAMICHAEL MCKINNIE-MIDDLETON, GREG RAMSEY-PEABODY

825626365[/snapback]

when exactly do they vote?? is it before state or do they do it before district starts?

Here are the reasons SKogen got screwed...

1. He didn't have the hype that doaks had- (and he was hype)

2. He was from a private school- this whole private public thing has gotten so out of hand there was no way they were going to give it to a private schol kid this year

3. He is from chattanooga- in single a mr. basketball has gone to a chattanoogan 4out of the last 5 years-

4. His brother already won it two years ago- people don't want the same name up there again an again- change is good and exciting and not predictable-

Caleb is just a better player right now no doubt- and gomab's credibility is the one going down the tube b/c I have talked to college coaches as well as other college players that saw doaks play- and everyone I talked to thought he was overrated as a player and after watching him play it sealed up in there mind that caleb was going to win it-

anyway doaks won it so congradulations to him- disagree? yes but that's the way life is....people get screwed and people get overhyped- deal with it.

this kills me, yall think that its just Gomab that thinks Doaks is better and you think he just dislikes Temple is why Skogen is ranked so low. well here you go...go to unapproved website.com(another site similar to coacht) and see where they have these 2 ranked....and these rankings have just been updated either today or yesterday....Doaks #9....Skogen #37.