Title 9

peabodymom

I am trying to find out if this case would be held under the Title IX standards.  In the school system that my children attend the football team and boys soccer teams are provided with a field and field house to use.  The girls softball and soccer teams have to play on a city field where they have to try to schedule around other sports that are using the fields during the same seasons.  During the fall season (when the softball team is playing fall ball) the baseball team uses the softball team's field for practice because their field is covered. 

This year alone the girls' softball team has had to pay out of their fund approximately $5,000.00 in improvements that the city would not pay for to make the field safe for play.  This has depleted their funds and the improvements will have to be redone next year because of the neglect that is done by the city. 

How can our girls get a field of their own that is dedicated to softball just like the football team has so that they can excell? 

I know that someone out there can help me with this problem, if so please help.  Our girls have worked hard to raise the additional money to pay for their TSSAA umpires so that they can have their games, the parents are also trying to raise the money along with giving their time to help keep the games going. 

Right now if the game is one that is away the parents have to drive the players to their game because the school system will not provide buses for the players like they do for the football team.  I know that many people believe that the bus issue is trivial but when a parent has to take time off of work to provide transportation it becomes an economical issue for the whole community. 

Where should I start trying to get the playing field even?

825640078[/snapback]

These problems exist all over the state. I would like to help you if I could. I know it is risky, but if more people spoke out on the issue , it would get better. Try calling the lawyer, Phil Davidson. You have an iron clad case.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way 9 is enforced is at fault for mens opportunities being cut. At least on the college level. I also believe it will move on down to the high school level. lhdbb01 stated they had raised money and donated time to build a new facility for baseball. Softball was asked to help, but choose not to and bluesfan said tough luck softball should beable to use it because it is on county property. Location should not be an issue. Principle and honesty should be the issue. Title 9 advocates do not understand these concepts.

Girls should have every opportunity to compete. Should never be discriminated against.

There is still right and wrongs in life and they are not always fair. I am the coach of a minor boys sport. We are treated like a redheaded step child. I can only wish to be treated the way girls softball and basketball are treated at my school. But it is the same at home they wine and cry about how football gets more. Well football gets more than all. They also raise 90% of the athletic budget. and maybe use 40 to 50% of it. But they still cry and mone. My sport is one of two that pays its own way because we work for it. If we want it we raise money for it. And they mone and gripe some more. So who has

worse. From my vantage point my boys do, but I have no recourse. I dont have a coach at father ryan who is an attorney who can file a suit of discrimination. Boys have no recourse.

The way 9 is enforced is at fault for mens opportunities being cut. At least on the college level. I also believe it will move on down to the high school level. lhdbb01 stated they had raised money and donated time to build a new facility for baseball. Softball was asked to help, but choose not to and bluesfan said tough luck softball should beable to use it because it is on county property. Location should not be an issue. Principle and honesty should be the issue. Title 9 advocates do not understand these concepts.

Girls should have every opportunity to compete. Should never be discriminated against.

There is still right and wrongs in life and they are not always fair. I am the coach of a minor boys sport. We are treated like a redheaded step child. I can only wish to be treated the way girls softball and basketball are treated at my school. But it is the same at home they wine and cry about how football gets more. Well football gets more than all. They also raise 90% of the athletic budget. and maybe use 40 to 50% of it. But they still cry and mone. My sport is one of two that pays its own way because we work for it. If we want it we raise money for it. And they mone and gripe some more. So who has

worse. From my vantage point my boys do, but I have no recourse. I dont have a coach at father ryan who is an attorney who can file a suit of discrimination. Boys have no recourse.

825640090[/snapback]

Look, the money is divide in half, half for girls and half for boys. If football or another boys sport takes all of the boys money , I am sorry. Talk to your AD.

Edited by swingaway

Look, it is the law. If it is important to a baseball team, or football team or whatever team not to  share its facility they should build it on their own property. Then they wouldnt have to worry about the Title 9 issue.

825640080[/snapback]

should the softball team have to buy their own private property too so they can drive to their htting facility... B)

Hopefully from the messages posted on this board we can see why some of the AD's out there have come to the conclusions that they have reached...forget trying to please both mens' and womens' programs...so cut the mens' and not have to worry about forming a womens'...take the mens' programs away, and never give the women a chance...open your eyes people, because that is what some AD's are doing...it's not right in any way whatsoever...but the harsh reality is that the women are not getting what they deserve (the same thing that they have deserved for many years, a chance)...and now the men aren't either...

Hopefully from the messages posted on this board we can see why some of the AD's out there have come to the conclusions that they have reached...forget trying to please both mens' and womens' programs...so cut the mens' and not have to worry about forming a womens'...take the mens' programs away, and never give the women a chance...open your eyes people, because that is what some AD's are doing...it's not right in any way whatsoever...but the harsh reality is that the women are not getting what they deserve (the same thing that they have deserved for many years, a chance)...and now the men aren't either...

825640401[/snapback]

Title nine was a very important step for women. The reality is that it is helping girls and without it we would be back in an instant to the gravely injustice ways of the early sixties and seventies. I am sorry some boys sports take money away from other boys sports. That is an AD problem and needs to be treated as such. As far as booster clubs and raising funds for facilities, maybe it is time for people to work together. Earn money together for the good of all in the community. The law says if a building is erected on school grounds it needs to be availiable to all or seperate but equal facilities provided. I agree with that. The same goes for any facilities built on any public property. A local ball park wanted to erect an indoor batting facility on park grounds. They had the money. The Williamson County Parks and Rec Dept. told them to go ahead but it had to be availiable for the ENTIRE community , not just their local organization. They felt this judgement was unjust. I say it is fair. It is public property, and it is the law. If you dont agree with it then you really need to put the facility on your own property.

I copied this from the Title IX question and answer page:

"Does Title IX apply to booster clubs and other types of (similar) support for athletic teams?"

"Yes. If the school permits an individual or group to donate funds for the benefit of a specific gender or sport, it must also make sure that benefits and services are equivalent for both sexes. "

So , I dont know if it would apply to something like a pressbox but certainly it would apply to the fact if the baseball team was built really nice fields,  facilities, stands, indoor batting cage, etc.... and the girls softball team was funded inadequately and was not allowed to have facilities or use what was built. If the boys facilities were built on school property it would not matter who funded it , the school or booster club.

Title nine was a great thing when it passed. Up until that point girls were really discriminated against. Still, with Title IX intact serious infractions exist at our high schools. I mean how many of you know of "weight rooms " and "batting cages" that exist at our local high schools that the girls are not allowed to enter or use? What about  state of the art baseball fields with concession stands and bathrooms and every ammenity when the girls softball field at the same school has nothing. While it is true, these girls and parents need to raise money to "fix " thier fields , what about those whose parents kill themselves making repairs and improvements but still the inconsistency exists?

We are making strides, and I am glad Hixson is getting a field that is not always flooded. They are  a great group of girls with what seem to be great parents.

825636121[/snapback]

can you give me the exact website for this information?

Who said that football was a mens' sport anyway? There was nothing stopping females from coming out for our football team. My senior year, a female freshman came out for the team, worked all through two-a-days, and she was a member of our football team just as much as any young man that was out there. Cheerleading is not a womens' program, and football is not a mens' program.

I keep hearing that women "should have every opportunity to compete", and they should. I want women to be able to compete. I want women to have somewhere to play professionally if they are good enough. Honestly, I would love to see a professional womens' fastpitch softball league. There have been some efforts to get one started, but it nevers gets to where it needs to be. Our young ladies need something to shoot for, but equality isn't one of them. Why shoot for being equal? Where does that get you? Honestly, the young women athletes should be shooting to out do everyone else. They should want more than just their fair share. Go out there, compete, and show everyone that you are for real.

Should football teams use the softball field for practices? No, but it does happen. But I also know that some football teams use the baseball field for practices as well. Some also use the soccer fields. It isn't just the female athletes getting hosed on this deal, it's everyone. Title IX has made things happen since the 1970s, but what now? Something more for our ladies is what they really need. What's the big deal with having a new field or new uniforms? Does a team play better because of them? I'd much rather for our ladies to have coaches that know what they are doing (I am talking about what I hope is a very small minority here). Too many times I have seen where someone has been placed as "coach" that has no idea what they are doing. I want to know why this is happening? And I have definitely seen it happen more to womens' programs than mens'. This is at the high school and small college level. Is it cheaper to just hire someone? I know that this doesn't have much (if anything) at all to do with Title IX, but while I'm ranting then I might as well include this. There are too many know-nothing coaches ruining good athletes out there, and most of y'all will probably have a clue about what I'm talking about here. The boys get much better coaches, and maybe that's more important than money handouts.