Wautauga Conference - Week of April 4th

GLee

The field is mainly a Bermuda grass. If you noticed all of the brown spots, that's it. It hasn't come in yet. Should be better in a few weeks and for sure, when the Twins play on it, it will be like carpet. Until then, it's a bit rough but both teams play on the same field.

825642001[/snapback]

Neither team should have to play on something that rough. I think they need to overseed with rye so they would have a good stand of grass for spring time play. That place could be an awesome park even in spring time. Good seating and the new scoreboard is very nice. I'd say by tourney time it will be in good shape. Until then, wear a mouthpiece. :)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Twins field is the worst that I have seen this year. Hampton's field cannot be much worse. That is true, even if we had won both games. Whether or not both tems have to play on the field has nothing to do with quality. You Carter County people think everyone is like you, trying to make excuses when they lose. The field is in terrible shape right now for whatever reason. Facts are facts.

Some of the bad bounces were in the dirt. That has nothing to do with the type of grass.

The reason Volunteer lost the first game was because they did not make some plays when they should have.

The Twins field is the worst that I have seen this year.  Hampton's field cannot be much worse.  That is true, even if we had won both games.  Whether or not both tems have to play on the field has nothing to do with quality.  You Carter County people think everyone is like you, trying to make excuses when they lose.  The field is in terrible shape right now for whatever reason.  Facts are facts.

Some of the bad bounces were in the dirt.  That has nothing to do with the type of grass.

The reason Volunteer lost the first game was because they did not make some plays when they should have.

825642070[/snapback]

Dude, don't get out of shape. I agree, the grass is not in good condition now, of course the field is intended to be for the Twins, not the local high school. When the Twins show up, I"m sure it will be nice. We appreciate that they let us use it. We have no control over the "grass" and I don't think rye is the answer. It is set up for being used at a later date. As far as the dirt...... it is smooth until played on. Seemed to be a little wrinkle at third base from rain. Maybe we need to get them to come out for a 5th inning stretch and rake it back out for you. No excuses....... but don't blame it on blades of grass not being where you need them or a lump of dirt in the way. Like I said, it was the same for both teams and your last sentence summed that situation up. FACTS are FACTS :blink As far as excuses.... well, looks to me like you are the one who is grasping :D

Now, please be civil :)

MR GLee , None of the last three posts said anything about the field being the reason we lost, so don't try to accuse us of that. We were just talking about the terrible condition of the field. And overseed would help. Go check out some of the other minor league fields around and you will see that they have bermuda and their fields, I guarantee don't look like the mess we saw Thursday. ETSU plays at Cardinal Park and I figure it is Bermuda. Do you think Coach Skole would settle for playing on a field in the condition Twins Park is.

You guys have a pretty good ball team, it's a shame they have to deal with that every home game. Good Luck to you guys the rest of the season, but watch them grounders. thumb

MR GLee , None of the last three posts said anything about the field being the reason we lost, so don't try to accuse us of that.  We were just talking about the terrible condition of the field. And overseed would help. Go check out some of the other minor league fields around and you will see that they have bermuda and their fields, I guarantee don't look like the mess we saw Thursday. ETSU plays at Cardinal Park and I figure it is Bermuda. Do you think Coach Skole would settle for playing on a field in the condition Twins Park is.

You guys have a pretty good ball team, it's a shame they have to deal with that every home game.  Good Luck to you guys the rest of the season, but watch them grounders.  thumb

825642412[/snapback]

Maybe I was defended our honor a bit strong, but as a Carter Co. citizen, I took offense to 72's post in regards to us (Carter Countians) making excuses for losing. It hit a nerve, but no harm from me intended MR DD, just a snap back. The games were a bit heated, but I think the officials had more to do with that than the players or coaches. As always, fans will be fans and they were a bit irrate from both sides of the field, but for a just reason.

Overseeding would help, but again, the field is not ours and I wouldn't recommend rye. It's is good for highway medians ;)

For more info on the field you might try contacting Mike Mains, gen. mgr. of the local Twins club and head of the Park & Rec Dept of Eliz. We have no say so over the field and don't get response from him when contacted. Of course, that field is better than the one we practice on...... maybe we can get you on our football field sometime? With Coach Rider there, that might be a possibility in a few years.

Your team is no slouch outfit either and I am sure they will do better. Good luck to you and your guys also and remember to bring your mouthpieces when over here.

;)

Looks like Sullivan North and Unicoi Co. made a mark this week. North took it to Happy Valley and Unicoi blasted Elizabethton today, 14-4 I think. Seems like most of the teams could beat the top teams anytime this year. Pretty even conference.

Looks like North has stepped to the front for now. I still think HV and Unicoi will battle it out in the end. When HV gets humbled enough ( and that may have happened Fri.) they will start playing up to their potential. Unicoi is starting to get tuned in. Talked to a friend at work Sat. and he said they had something like 70 hits this week and played very well last week in Charleston, winning 2 of 3. North's chances still ride on the arm of ole #5 although the team seems to be very scrappy. Betsy's not out of the hunt yet. HV game will tell the tell. Everyone else is playing for a 4th or 5th seed depending on what happens above them.

Good luck to all!

Looks like North has stepped to the front for now. I still think HV and Unicoi will battle it out in the end. When HV gets humbled enough ( and that may have happened Fri.) they will start playing up to their potential. Unicoi is starting to get tuned in. Talked to a friend at work Sat. and he said they had something like 70 hits this week and played very well last week in Charleston, winning 2 of 3. North's chances still ride on the arm of ole #5 although the team seems to be very scrappy. Betsy's not out of the hunt yet. HV game will tell the tell. Everyone else is playing for a 4th or 5th seed depending on what happens above them.

Good luck to all!

825642993[/snapback]

Edited:

Never mind, I just re-read what you wrote. You got E-town with a chance. I agree.

Edited by Falconbaseballbacker

Yeah, they have a legitimate chance. They have a big game with HV this week and that might show how much of a chance they have.

Also I think how we do this week will show just where we might end up. If we could win 2 out of 3 this week we could still be playing for a top 4 spot because I figure 2,3,and 4 seeds will have several losses. If North continues to stay unbeaten then 8-6 or maybe 7-7 might still get you in the top half of the standings. North staying unbeaten is a really big if because there are some very good teams that they still have to play and sooner or later they are going to play two of them on back to back days and won't have Hinkle to pitch. When he's not pitching they are an average team.

Edited by DandDD

Yeah, they have a legitimate chance. They have a big game with HV this week and that might show how much of a chance they have.

Also I think how we do this week will show just where we might end up. If we could win 2 out of 3 this week we could still be playing for a top 4 spot because I figure 2,3,and 4 seeds will have several losses. If North continues to stay unbeaten then 8-6 or maybe 7-7 might still get you in the top half of the standings. North staying unbeaten is a really big if because there are some very good teams that they still have to play and sooner or later they are going to play two of them on back to back days and won't have Hinkle to pitch. When he's not pitching they are an average team.

825643017[/snapback]

Hinkle ain't unbeatable, either. There will come a time when he's not on and somebody will get him. Hope it's on a Monday night, about a week from tomorrow. ;)