Elizabethton Cyclones

coachh17

From what I've read, the freshmen and sophomores are the ones making the errors (the paper said 8 in the johnson county game alone). Some of those middle school players have quit due to being knocked down to 3rd string.

All I'm saying is it's a very big adjustment from middle school to high school ball and a lot of these girls are just not ready. It's a lot easier to hit a 35 mile an hour pitch than a 55 mile an hour pitch especially when some of these girls have never been taught how to hold a bat right. I hope these girls don't give up and keep trying because they have a lot of talent.

As far as Petrowski goes, she made a very wise decision staying with bball because she has a very bright future there at the college level.

EHS has a great group of kids and I wish them all the best of luck whether it be in softball, basketball or just life in general.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant first time post! It is thinking like that that prevents the Cyclones from reaching their full potential. The current Cyclone Sophomores and a couple of the Freshmen went 18-0 three seasons ago including 3 victories over Jessica Mason and Unicoi County. The starting infield of Pietrowski, Oliver, Jones, and Nave made no errors in 18 games, none! The foundation was laid and the pieces were in place. Then politics reared its head, and not a victory over Unicoi since. I believe Coach Hardin will lead this team to greater heights the next two seasons. He just had to clear the mine-field first.

825672766[/snapback]

I think it's pretty funny that you had to think back 3 years ago to find where you beat Jessica.... When you have a good team that is behind there pitching (look out)... Just give credit where it is due....

The Cyclones had a very good hitting team this year but errors did kill them.  A lot of the errors that occurred were by players who have been playing those positions since middle school.  No excuse for them - they just never learned the fundamentals correctly.  EHS's feeder program has never been adequate and it's hard to start teaching the girls once they reach high school age.  I was told by the parent of one of the girls that left middle school to attend a different high school that the reason was that their self confidence had been torn apart and so they decided to try something different.

EHS did finish 3rd in the district in extra innings and the girls played hard against a good Johnson County team.  They should hold their heads high and come back ready to fight next year.

The conference this year was very strong with a lot of games going into extra innings.  I'm glad to see softball picking up in this area.

Good luck to Unicoi and Johnson County in the Regions.

Does anybody know who made the all tourney and all conference teams?

825672715[/snapback]

Yes...To answer your question...Katie Hubbard, Brittany Smith, and Jessica Robinson made All Conference. Katie Hubbard, Jessica Robinson, and Abbie Jenkins made All Tourney. I think that these were very good picks. The Cyclones lost to errors. Plain and simple. Everything else was there. Hitting, Pitching...but errors in the infield cost the season. Good luck next year Cyclones ;)

Brilliant first time post! It is thinking like that that prevents the Cyclones from reaching their full potential. The current Cyclone Sophomores and a couple of the Freshmen went 18-0 three seasons ago including 3 victories over Jessica Mason and Unicoi County. The starting infield of Pietrowski, Oliver, Jones, and Nave made no errors in 18 games, none! The foundation was laid and the pieces were in place. Then politics reared its head, and not a victory over Unicoi since. I believe Coach Hardin will lead this team to greater heights the next two seasons. He just had to clear the mine-field first.

825672766[/snapback]

I attended some of those games and the thing I remember is that Edgar and Smith kept most batters in check. Not a lot of hot shots. High School is a whole different game. Alot of hot shots this year that to both sides of the field.

I attended some of those games and the thing I remember is that Edgar and Smith kept most batters in check. Not a lot of hot shots. High School is a whole different game. Alot of hot shots this year that to both sides of the field.

825673056[/snapback]

I agree with you jaws. In high school ball, faster pitching and new bat technology means harder hit balls. Ask any third baseman. I dont ever remember Elizabethton hitting homeruns like they did this year. You can tell that some of those girls have worked hard on their hitting in the off season. The old saying stands true, hard work pays off.

I agree with you jaws.  In high school ball, faster pitching and new bat technology means harder hit balls.  Ask any third baseman.  I dont ever remember Elizabethton hitting homeruns like they did this year.  You can tell that some of those girls have worked hard on their hitting in the off season.  The old saying stands true, hard work pays off.

825673075[/snapback]

How many homeruns did they have and who was it against...

About Mason: She struck out a dozen Lady Cyclones and thirteen Lady Rangers. Coach17, she struckout and shutout two Outstanding offensive teams. To refer to her sixth grade season is now irrelevant.

And about those infield errors: That's where most errors are made, at every level. And that's where nearly ALL games are lost.

Just some thoughts.

How many homeruns did they have and who was it against...

825673248[/snapback]

I believe the team total was 12 homeruns this year. Two over in the district. This is a great improvement over last year since we only had one the entire year and that was in the district against Unicoi.

Nightmare, what are you talking about? Musick lives in the city and chose to go out of her "zone" to Unaka. She no doubt would have helped the cyclones big time. Robinson is a good pitcher, but Musick is better. Heaton went to Unaka too, and Im not sure which zone she would fall in but she went all three years to city junior high. Keys sure doesnt live in the Daniel Boone zone.

And Mason was a seventh grader in 2003, the season harry was talking about.

Next year there will be no excuse for the cyclones not to knock Unicoi off its throne. The basketball team has done it, and the talent is there for the softball team to do it. The left side of the infield better step up their play or younger players will take their spots.