Knox Catholic at McCallie

Hoya

ahh Hoya I havent spoken with you in so long...You probably know who I am, check out the number in my name, I graduated last year. Hows the team doing this year? Seem to be have a pretty good record so far. I haven't been able to catch a game yet, but I will sometime before the season is over.

825653875[/snapback]

The team is doing very well, given they lost you of course. They are 6-2-2 with 6 shutouts in 10 matches. They're ranked 6th in DII and 10th in the Redmond 11. They work hard and play together. I think you'd enjoy watching them. The next home game is Baylor next Wednesday at 6pm. Try to make it and bring your brother if you can tear him away from the books.

Edited by hoya75

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Irish! Way to go guys, playing in Chattanooga usually is not fun, due to the refs.

825652230[/snapback]

I don't like to comment on refs usually but it's hard to contain myself with the reffing of the McCallie/Irish game. I don't ever remember a game when so little contact produced so many free kicks for a single team in their offensive 1/3. The ref was really calling most everything in Catholic's favor. Takedowns from behind by Catholic, and significant contact that took away advantage for McCallie were not called. Usually I feel that refs are trying to do the best they can and the calls usually go both ways. In this case I don't think so.

The ref was really calling most everything in Catholic's favor. 

825654337[/snapback]

Read, I didn't see the match so I am not able to comment on your observation. And, before I respond I have to preface my comments by saying I have the utmost respect for the players and coaching staff at McCallie. It is, in my opinion (and most people's opinions), a model program with great student-athletes, fantastic facilities and a highly-respected coaching staff. In my book, it doesn't get much better than McCallie soccer.

With all due respect, however, Knox Catholic (or for that matter, Webb) getting the majority of calls in Chattanooga matches runs completely contrary to my experience over a number of years--particularly at McCallie. I've often wondered whether my perception of an unintentional referee tilt toward the Tornado side of the field by awe-struck Chattanooga officials is shared by other Chattanooga-area teams who have to play there.

Finally, this game's players, from both sides, generally agreed with jstone14's game evaluation posted earlier---McCallie had a decided edge in possession and it was a "hard but cleanly fought game". Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing some of this generation of players move on into officiating these matches.

Catholic was model competition: they didn't talk trash, they didn't talk back to the refs, and they just played hard, clean soccer...I don't remember anything being at all dirty. A couple of times, they went in for hard shoulder tackles but soccer is a contact sport. The game was fun, the reffing may not have been great, but you move on :ph34r:

So far, only 4 East Region matches have been played.  Webb played in three of them.  Everyone else has put their Region schedules in the second half of the season.  McCallie has a win and a tie.  Notre Dame has a win.  Webb has a win and two losses.  Catholic has a tie.  Baylor has a loss.  King doesn't participate until the tournament.

825652195[/snapback]

It seems like we had King scheduled a couple of times and they never showed up. I don't recall that ever played in the tournament at least not against Baylor or McCallie.

Is this the last year that Knox C and Notre Dame will be in the District? I hope for competition sake, both continue to play Baylor and McCallie.

It seems like we had King scheduled a couple of times and they never showed up. I don't recall that ever played in the tournament at least not against Baylor or McCallie.

Is this the last year that Knox C and Notre Dame will be in the District? I hope for competition sake, both continue to play Baylor and McCallie.

825654554[/snapback]

Yes... Knox Catholic will be with CAK, Kingston, Oneida... I am not sure where Notre Dame will be.

825654554[/snapback]

King's Academy hasn't played the other DII East teams in the season for at least 5 or 6 years. They are allowed by TSSAA to play in the East Tournament in the 6 v. 3 position. Webb beat them last year 6-0.

Hoya, it has been too long. This is MTBK4's counterpart. Wish we were playing right about now. We have yet to go to a game, but we will be there soon. I have been hearing that Mike is doing really well. I would say, without a doubt, that he is the best keeper in Knoxville, by far. I would even say he is better than that Robby Miller kid from Notre Dame. Mike is an excellent athlete, but what sets him apart from everyone else is technique. I think it will be Catholic and Baylor headed to state from Div 2. Catholic, for the first time in 3 years, will make it past the semi's. When is the next game after Baylor?

PS. How is ole' Squirrel?