Your pick for the All-Mid State

cobracoach

AS YOU SAY, IT SHOULDN'T BE ABOUT AN AGE THING. GOOD IS JUST PLANE GOOD. IT SHOULD COUNT FOR SKILL AND TALENT. NOT AGE. THERE ARE SOME FRESHMEN JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN SOME SENIORS. AND YES, HOPEFULLY THEY WILL JUST GET BETTER AND BETTER. SOME SENIORS JUST PLAY BECAUSE THEY ARE SENIORS, WHETHER THERE IS A BETTER UNDERCLASSMEN OR NOT. A LOT HAS TO DO WITH POLITICS AND PARENTS TRYING TO INFLUENCE THE COACH. THE REAL GOAL IS TO LOOK AT THE GIRL AND NOTHING ELSE. I SAY WE JUST PLAY OUR BEST AND HAVE FUN! :unsure:

PLAY BALL!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as you must also look at the overall quality of teams that some of these "top notch" pitchers are facing, as well.  A pitcher that competes in travel ball in the summer, often "mows em down" in high school play.  When they get to summer ball, they're just another good pitcher.  The fact is, we're talking about high school ball.  There are good hitters and pitchers at big and little schools.  I will say this, two of the three pitchers mentioned earlier, are already two of the best in the state, and the catcher discussed has hit HRs off some of the best pitchers, in the state, in high school and travel.

825661432[/snapback]

I think the only time goodpasture faced columbia academy this year a freshman pitched, and i think they won 6-0. and the other two faced all the "top notch teams" in the state. and i think their total losses are 6, with like thirty wins between them. Thank goodness it is only "high school ball".

The freshman this year at all schools are very good.  What about brentwoods pitchers, also there hitters?  What about ravenwoods pitchers, and also Father Ryans freshman?

825663293[/snapback]

I agree...there are some good freshmen playing this year....but the topic was choices for all-midstate...and since you usually dont have but one or two people per position making an all-star team, you have to limit your choices....are the ravenwood pitchers better than Peronni, Catalano, Lott, Myatt, Elrod, Owens, etc?..I dont think so....Brentwood does have some hitters worthy of the all-star team...but none of their freshmen.

Guest diamond fan
I think the only time goodpasture faced columbia academy this year a freshman pitched, and i think they won 6-0.  and the other two faced all the "top notch teams" in the state. and i think their total losses are 6, with like thirty wins between them.  Thank goodness it is only "high school ball".

825663242[/snapback]

No offense, but your point is???????????? No one disputed that the pitchers you discuss aren't great. On the contrary, I pointed out how great they were. The earlier issue I was addressing was the statement by an earlier poster, that All State should be some kind of entitlement based on age, which I disagree with. I think it should be based on accomplishment.

No offense, but your point is???????????? No one disputed that the pitchers you discuss aren't great.  On the contrary, I pointed out how great they were.  The earlier issue I was addressing was the statement by an earlier poster, that All State should be some kind of entitlement based on age, which I disagree with.  I think it should be based on accomplishment.

825663379[/snapback]

no point just luvin a little debate, bleacher your right this is a mid-state poll and and i cannot think of any freshman that is hands down better then any upper classmen. the catcher from CA is a monster and always a challenge for any pitcher and she will only get better, and so will all the other freshman. i quess i better stop stirrin the pot before my daughters coach puts a muzzle on me. <_<

I agree...there are some good freshmen playing this year....but the topic was choices for all-midstate...and since you usually dont have but one or two people per position making an all-star team, you have to limit your choices....are the ravenwood pitchers better than Peronni, Catalano, Lott, Myatt, Elrod, Owens, etc?..I dont think so....Brentwood does have some hitters worthy of the all-star team...but none of their freshmen.

825663337[/snapback]

825663337[/snapback]

Some of above mentioned pitchers are much, much better than others mentioned and you have left some really good seniors/ juniors off. Remember as has been said before, a pitchers team , as well as back up pitchers, can make an average pitcher look great or a really great pitcher look average.

As far as the two ravenwood girls, riley , cat, and devon go , I think you do have a special group here. They are amazing and are better than a lot of pitchers out there of any age. Do they deserve all midstate? There are too many seniors and juniors out there that very deserving of the honor. I have yet to see a sophmore or freshman that deserves it over an upper classmen.

Some of  above  mentioned pitchers are much, much  better than others mentioned and you have left some really good seniors/ juniors  off. Remember as has been said before, a pitchers team , as well as back up pitchers, can make an average pitcher look great or a really great pitcher look average.

As far as the two ravenwood girls, riley , cat, and  devon go , I think you do have a special group here. They are amazing and are better than a lot of pitchers out there of any age. Do they deserve all midstate? There are too many seniors and juniors out there that very deserving of the honor. I have yet to see a sophmore or freshman that deserves it over  an upper classmen.

825663406[/snapback]

Totally agree....their are alot of GREAT freshman and sophmores.....but surely out of all the teams, they can find enough juniors and seniors to make up that mid state team. I'm not sure I agree with the statement "I have yet to see a sophmore or freshman that deserve it over an upper classman. Maybe the key word is DESERVE, because there are alot of talented freshman and sophmores some who are much better than the upper classman. I do notice on all these threads that the freshman pitchers are mentioned alot and I think there are just as many older pitchers who are just as good. They just arent mentioned, maybe they too were mentioned when they were freshman.

Totally agree....their are alot of GREAT  freshman and sophmores.....but surely out of all the teams, they can find enough juniors and seniors to make up that mid state team.  I'm not sure I agree with the statement "I have yet to see a sophmore or freshman that deserve it over an upper classman.  Maybe the key word is DESERVE, because there are alot of talented freshman and sophmores some who are much better than the upper classman.  I do notice on all these threads that the freshman pitchers are mentioned alot and I think there are just as many older pitchers who are just as good.  They just arent mentioned, maybe they too were mentioned when they were freshman.

825663415[/snapback]

If a pitcher isnt mentioned a lot it is probably because they are hidden on a team that isnt so great. Believe me, when errors are made and runs score, it is the run or the defeat that is remembered not the error. The freshmen pitchers are mentioned a lot because they are very, very good. How good? We will have to see, but a couple of them will become great , just wait and see.

If a pitcher isnt mentioned a lot it is probably because they are hidden on a team that isnt so great. Believe me, when errors are made and runs score, it is the run or the defeat that is remembered not the error. The freshmen pitchers are mentioned a lot because they are very, very good. How good? We will have to see, but a couple of them will become great , just wait and see.

825663419[/snapback]

I totally agree, they are very good pitchers. And like you said there are other very good pitchers who are hidden on weaker teams, it's just the way it goes. Again the thread was about the mid state team and should those freshman pitchers get the glory or are there junior and senior players who can be found to fill those positions?? Those freshman and sophmores will get their time and to me it's just not time yet. Are they talented enough, probably.....but let's let the upper classman have their day.

Are the ravenwood pitchers better than Peronni, Catalano, Lott, Myatt, or Elrod? No, But I would put a  freshman pitcher above one or two of them.

For the top mid state pitcher I would choose: 

Catalano, Riverdale

Peronni, Goodpasture

Cunningham, Davidson Acadamy

For top catcher I would choose:

Goodpastures catcher , Jamie

Lindsey Cavara, Brentwood

All seniors , I believe

825663497[/snapback]

I would add Katie , the shortstop from Brentwood, junior. She and Lindsey would be my picks from Brentwood.