Maryville Baseball

FBEmeritus

why is everyone bashing Maryville baseball? seems like no one was say anything when they were going to the regionals(03,02,00) and substate(2003) a few years ago. if i recall right maryville, farragut, bearden, and now south doyle are the only ones to go to regionals from the tougest district in the area. might be a down year for the rebels. the games i saw this year, seems the talent level is down. can't win many games when your weak pitching and hitting. this isn't college where you can recruit players, only can play with what you have. far, as the practicing 3 times, i'm sure from feb. 15- march 15 there was more than three practices held or a softball team was getting alot of practice hitting baseballs at sandy springs from 3:30-6:00 when i drove by.

i would say measuring yourself to farragut baseball for standard of excellence would be pretty good since they have won state the last two years and finished runnerup for three years.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you had more to say earlier before you deleted your response to the thread line.

If he had applied his training to Baseball he would still be playing for the same coach.

I love Cade, but Maryville had two seniors that are better players.....Coach Gaylor made their seasons very difficult and he hurt the team in the process.

825672410[/snapback]

What I was saying is that if Cade had been witha good summer program, went to some camps, he would have been a D1 baseball player. It was a rough year for everyone associated with, or watching the program.

Ok Emeritus here we go.

2004 - 25-14

2003 - 24-9

2002 - 21-12

2001 - 18-10

2000 - 19-12

Since 1984, Maryville has had 4 loosing seasons. In 2002,2003 and 2004 they won over twenty games each year. i doubt they won that many games in District 4 AAA with players that can not make an impact on a Sand Lot Team.

They had a bad year and they need to fix somethings, but ease up on the players. By the way, Coach Gaylor's first season was 2000. It took him 6 years to have a loosing record. He does know something about baseball.

825672670[/snapback]

I agree with you 100% my issue has nothing to do with the players....the players have done a soldiers work being successful in this system.

The question one should ask about this situation is how is Maryville's program comparing with the other local competitors..IE: WB, Heritage, Alcoa, and Farragot??. We have players now leaving Maryville to go and play at other schools, Or not coming here for the same reason....look at their programs how does Maryville's compare presently? look at their fields, facilities, Coaches...Do their players seems to be having fun...what about the home crowds, any excitement.....Been to a Maryville game lately....the looks on most faces look like grim determination just to be there. If this coach remains, will Maryville be able to compete in the near future.

IMO Maryville's success has been due to the great talent that has come thru the program...not the performance of the coach. I contend that a half way decent coach could have taken that talent with a little development and produced district champions and state contenders. Maryville does not measure up to Farragot in Baseball, ( and that is the only sport that this is so),....Sorry not even close...It is no victory not being run ruled....we have competed with Farragot because of the quality of the players not the preparation by the coaching staff.

This team rarely practices....and if they do they do little...most practices the coach splits the team in half and has some sort of intersquad game with a coach pitching bp...They rarely see live pitching, don't work on situations, fundamentals, cut-offs,(how many times did you see Maryville outfielders hit cut-offs this year?), pick-offs, nothing. They never work on bunting or bunting situations, hit and runs, etc. You have a coach that pitched in college who hardly ever if ever works with the pitchers or catchers. there is no conditioning program, no warm-up routine, and in a game a reliever more times than not will have little or no warm-up before he is asked to pitch...Is this neglect???

I tell you what would be interesting based on what I saw this year....go find some of the players from the years you posted and find out how their experence of playing for Coach Gaylor has been?

Find out how many players quit or juniors not coming back for their senior season, not coming out for the team or going to other schools.

There is more to a program than just wins and loses. ;)

L

I agree with you 100% my issue has nothing to do with the players....the players have done a soldiers work being successful in this system.

The question one should ask about this situation is how is Maryville's program comparing with the other local competitors..IE: WB, Heritage, Alcoa, and Farragot??. We have players now leaving Maryville to go and play at other schools, Or not coming here for the same reason....look at their programs how does Maryville's compare presently? look at their fields, facilities, Coaches...Do their players seems to be having fun...what about the home crowds, any excitement.....Been to a Maryville game lately....the looks on most faces look like grim determination just to be there.  If this coach remains, will Maryville be able to compete in the near future.

IMO Maryville's success has been due to the great talent that has come thru the program...not the performance of the coach.  I contend that a half way decent coach could have taken that talent with a little development and produced district champions and state contenders. Maryville does not measure up to Farragot in Baseball, ( and that is the only sport that this is so),....Sorry not even close...It is no victory not being run ruled....we have competed with Farragot because of the quality of the players not the preparation by the coaching staff.

This team rarely practices....and if they do they do little...most practices the coach splits the team in half and has some sort of intersquad game with a coach pitching bp...They rarely see live pitching, don't work on situations, fundamentals, cut-offs,(how many times did you see Maryville outfielders hit cut-offs this year?), pick-offs, nothing. They never work on bunting or bunting situations, hit and runs, etc.  You have a coach that pitched in college who hardly ever if ever  works with the pitchers or catchers. there is no conditioning program, no warm-up routine, and in a game a reliever more times than not will have little or no warm-up before he is asked to pitch...Is this neglect???

I tell you what would be interesting based on what I saw this year....go find some of the players from the years you posted and find out how their experence of playing for  Coach Gaylor has been?

Find out how many players quit or juniors not coming back for their senior season, not coming out for the team or going to other schools.

There is more to a program than just wins and loses. ;)

L

825672879[/snapback]

Good Post. I agree and this is part of what I have been saying without using names. First I support the squad, the players are just kids and doing the best they can within their ability, but things should improve. Selecting players is a coach function, and frankly, this and lack of development and selection is at the core of the problem. Notice how the current season, over early again, was not posted. Not sure but I think they were something like 13-21. And you think the current team underclassmen will correct this slide?

I don't know about this year but the senior little league 15-16 year old all-stars from last years Maryville and Eagleton teams combined would have taken this years JV squad apart in my opinion. There are kids down there at those two places that can play ball. Most won't even try out! Some have quit and are not playing at all. Sad some are good players. I don’t get down there much now.

I also agree the past few years the team has won some games simply because of a handful of real talented versatile athletes who happen to play baseball, football, BBall and some have even run track! I know Maryville could compete with anyone in East Tennessee in baseball if some of these areas were addressed, the school does in every other sport, why not boys baseball? I can remember Ken Hawkins produced some real good college and semi-pro bound players during his tenure, now he is having success as the girls softball coach. The current AD also won a few games while at the post.

Back to my main question not yet answered, will there be a new try-out for current rostered players? What is the word?

Edited by FBEmeritus

It appears to me that all you guys are upset about the Maryville baseball program. If you know so much about who should be on the team and who shouldn't, then go ahead and list the names of those who are currently on the team (JV and Varsity) who should be, those who shouldn't be and those who didn't tryout and should be on the team.

If you are not willing to do that because "I am not here to bash kids" then don't say anything at all in a comparative manner as to who should or should not be on the squad. When you do, you are in effect "bashing" those kids! It's high school sports, the kids are supposed to be playing for that "overall academic experience" not to please onlookers or pad some coach's record

i heard that the jellico, harrogate, and sevier all-stars were tough competion for the maryville and eagleton all-stars. that's one of the problem's everyone THINKS they are an eagleton or maryville all-star and in reality nice competion. i got a few seeing eye dogs that could compete with some of those teams. as for the Blount County Championship, Maryville did finish ahead of Heritage, and Billy Blount(have they EVER been to a regional), plus beat Alcoa twice or who cares it's not a district game when they are throwing there number one and Maryville is throwing???? (Probably one of those Maryville/Eagleton All-Stars that beat Harrogate.) Those players leaving Maryville are putting all kinds of banners and rings up for the county schools maybe we should start hanging banners for 4, 5, and 6 place. Maryville didn't have a field when they won state nor when kenny hawkins had all those players and semi- pro players(or could that just have been a nice run of talent and that was why he was there for four years). Maryville baseball has always been competitive and always will be. I would say that if you polled any high school team, the head coach would not be liked by everyone, just the nature of the business. i guess everyone likes Rod Delmonico, Tommy Pharr, Robby Howard. Its hard to win games when you probably don't have four guys hit over .300 or have a pitcher who has an era under 3. But i'm sure the hallways are full of potential draft picks and all st players. by the way it's always good to quit things early in life, so when you get a job later in life and things don't go your way you can just quit it too.

After calling out Coach Gaylor, I'm still waiting on the All-Hallway Team or All FBEMERITUS Team

and its Farragut, not Farragot but you probably quit school too

Great post Tommy Lasorda. We have a couple of people on here that are sidways with playing time and position for their boys. Now one knows better that a mom a dad or an UNCLE as to where their son should be playing and that they should bat first and often.

They have had some players quit that would have helped the team this year. Three of them were pitchers and all were good. They left to devote their time to things they wanted to do more that play baseball. Mark Smith, Jeff Smith and Andrew Headrick would have pitched a lot this year but that past now.

It seems that Emeritus and thth want some changes made. Looks like that will happen this summer. I have heard that try outs will be in July for the 2006 team and that all will have to try out. They also are being asked to work out and stay in shape.

Now if that happens I hope that someone doesn't start the THATS NOT FAIR POST. I hope that all of the hallway boys come back and take over. They should be in good baseball shape in July from playing all them All Star Games in Union and Sevier Counties.

And to thth, I haven't read much from you on Coach T. I hope that you will stay on and participate in other threads, you are interesting.

Emeritus, you have been sideways with MHS Baseball for a while now. Even when they were playing good and beating teams like South Doyle, Farragut, Oak Ridge,Halls,Science Hill,and many others. They have now had a bad season and I am sure you are HAPPY because you can get on a high school sports website and run down coachs and players.Spend some time at the little league for the next few weeks, and help us pick a team.

Edited by Rebel9

Early I posted; “First I support the squad, the players are just kids and doing the best they can within their ability, but things should improve. Selecting players is a coach function, and frankly, this and lack of development and selection is at the core of the problem”. In this I am bashing kids????? Me thinks not!

Reb9 you think I am the only one who thinks some changes need to be made? You have the wrong idea about me. You acknowledge yourself some kids are quitting and there will be a new try-out. I think 25-27 July and be sure to tell every kid you know to see Coach Gaylor for a form if he wants to tryout. Sounds like some changes will be made.

I hope to take in some baseball at Eagleton, Maryville and some Smokie action soon, when time allows, I love the game. Next year I'll watch somemore Rebel games and hope the team really becomes a contender. Good luck in the off season.

Where Are the kids that were on the team Varisty and JV playing at this summer?

just curious? Just wanted to add somthings to that has already been posted. This years team was 13-21. One team that Maryville beat had a winning record. Cleveland went 22-12. Maryville won 4-1. The combined record of teams Maryville beat was 38-86. Teams that they split with WB, Heritage, and McMinn Co. had combined records of 28-38. Teams that beat them had a overall record of as this morning 260-68. Of those teams 7 are still alive in Regional play. Also Clinton is still alive who Maryville crushed in a scrimage. I know that don't mean anything. These are just numbers.

A look inside shows that many things did not go the Rebels way. One starter and leadoff batter is lost for the season before it starts. All seniors have a tough year except for Cade Thompson. One pitcher who has winning record and low ERA leaves the team in mid season. These issues lead to alot of lineup changes. Losing two pitchers is tough. On the flip side this gave way to good performances from Senior Stephen Cherry and Junior Aaron Gaylor. Both had tough one run losses and not a lot or run support during the year. Stats show that Maryville had their chances this season but seldom had a key hit when they needed it. .

Team batting average was below .300, rough for any league. team ERA above 3 not awinning combanation. Not defending anybody, but it's easy to coach from the bleachers. That being said In order for Maryville to get to where the parents and teachers,coaches want to be Fundental changes need to occur. Little League is fun for kids and they do learn some things. However they must continue to learn as they progress through the junior ranks. A little league and junior league all star does not guarentee a High school All-American. Where these kids play at during the summer is crutical to there sucess. Only a few saw pitching this spring that they were used to, facing it in the summer. The others who played around here at Maryville and Eagleton did not see a Ryan holland, Tony D.,Jeffery Lockwood, Jubal Duncan or Rod Capannio. It showed all year long. Good luck to the Rebels, a bunch of good kids. I know each and everone of them and wish for them the best.

Edited by dheat

Maryville is not a BAD team, like a sevier county, but they are by no means a good team. They are average at best, and that will not change until some changes are made. Yes they had some winning seasons in the past, but they will never compete with Farragut, S.D. or Bearden, because they do not have a field, deticated coach, or constructive practices. Part of theis is because maryville is a football oriented school, and that is where the money goes. If the football program needed a field, or some supplies they would have it in a second.

As far as players go, some of the maryville players lack the baseball skill of players from Farragut. Farragut has a very good feeder progam, and their players play nothing but baseball all year around. How are you suposed to compete if your palyers are working out in the parking lot of the winning edge and Farragut's players are at their indoor cages and field with instruction from coaches who actually know what they are talking about.

When mhs was playing alcoa, alcoa had a coach that was fired up, supportive, and who played major league baseball with the twins in the early 90's.

Like I said mhs is not BAD, but don't expect them to do anything spectacular in th enear future.

Where Are the kids that were on the team Varisty and JV playing at this summer?

just curious?  Just wanted to add somthings to that has already been posted. This years team was 13-21. One team that Maryville beat had a winning record. Cleveland went 22-12. Maryville won 4-1. The combined record of teams Maryville beat was 38-86. Teams that they split with WB, Heritage, and McMinn Co. had combined records of 28-38. Teams that beat them had a overall record of as this morning 260-68. Of those teams 7 are still alive in Regional play. Also Clinton is still alive who Maryville crushed in a scrimage. I know that don't mean anything. These are just numbers.

A look inside shows that many things did not go the Rebels way. One starter and leadoff batter is lost for the season before it starts. All seniors have a tough year except for Cade Thompson. One pitcher who has winning record and low ERA leaves the team in mid season. These issues lead to alot of lineup changes. Losing two pitchers is tough. On the flip side this gave way to good performances from Senior Stephen Cherry and Junior Aaron Gaylor. Both had tough one run losses and not a lot or run support during the year. Stats show that Maryville had their chances this season but seldom  had a key hit when they needed it. .

Team batting average was below .300, rough for any league. team ERA above 3 not awinning combanation. Not defending anybody, but it's easy to coach from the bleachers. That being said In order for Maryville to get to where the parents and teachers,coaches want to be Fundental changes need to occur.  Little League is fun for kids and they do learn some things. However they must continue to learn as they progress through the junior ranks. A little league and junior league all star does not guarentee a High school All-American. Where these kids play at during the summer is crutical to there sucess. Only a few saw pitching this spring that they were used to, facing it  in the summer. The others who played around here at Maryville and Eagleton did not see a Ryan holland, Tony D.,Jeffery Lockwood, Jubal Duncan or Rod Capannio. It showed all year long. Good luck to the Rebels, a bunch of good kids. I know each and everone of them and wish for them the best.

825674499[/snapback]

Dheat,

An interesting number would be how many of our ex-players are now playing college ball. I contend that Maryville has had more talent than most of the teams we compete with. Another interesting number would be Seniors who have better senior vs junior years under the present coach. Most Seniors that I have spoken with are really tired of him by the senior year and all the de-morilizing things that he does around the team affect their performance.

For the last several years this coach has been blessed with layers of excellent players. Players that played for the Yard and Thunder....With very little coaching and under one with little coaching ability, they competed at a high level.

This years team had a great core with Clement, Blair, Thompson, and fernandez. Steven Childs was treated shamefully....How about three all-state multi-sport football players who know what it takes to win....Put them in with a dedicated coach who is committed to win and shows some loyality to the team and get out of their way.

How de-moralizing to come from a football program with such a high level of commitment to play for a coach who only gives a token effort at a program. Its just a pay supplement to him.

He did nothing to prepare the team to win.

Many players feel that he is not straight with them.

There was no commentment to the team....and then he treats them badly if they do not perform to his expectations....he benches some players for little and stays with some inspite of poor play, there is no rhymn or reason. Heaven help you if you get in his dog house...that is why so many quit and some do not return..

He has just about run the program into the ground and it is about to show big time.

Only twenty some odd players were at try-outs this year. The better summer players, (Yard, Thunder), are going other places if possible, ( I know of one recent who went to WB), He played freshman football at Maryville than transfered for Baseball..

The last two Frosh teams have played around .500 or below and next years team will not have anyone of the Clement, Blair, Thompson caliber......

Have all the try-outs you want....the players are not THE PROBLEM.

Get a young coach to build a winning program; a REAL ball coach with energy, who can relate to the players. Maryville missed big time if they had a chance to get Steve Dunn of Alcoa.

Enough of this I tried to make some point....I will part with this....

If you think there are only two or just a few people that are un-happy with the program you have not been around the park or you have your head in the sand.

And by the way Tommy if you are Maryville under Gaylor....you can spell FarraGUT with four letters: LOSS.