Anyone coming to Memphis...

Opperman

If anyone is coming to Memphis and needs help -- be it directions, suggestions for where to eat, suggestions for where or where not to try to get hotels (though I'm probably late on that one), e-mail me.

I'm going to be at the Class A tournament at Bartlett most of the week, though I'm planning to go to Millington Tuesday night and all day Friday.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is coming to Memphis and needs help -- be it directions, suggestions for where to eat, suggestions for where or where not to try to get hotels (though I'm probably late on that one), e-mail me.

I'm going to be at the Class A tournament at Bartlett most of the week, though I'm planning to go to Millington Tuesday night and all day Friday.

825680432[/snapback]

Ok, first call for help.

Directions to get from Millington to TSAAA baseball HQ's at the Holiday Inn

Select - East Poplar and I-240

And isn't Neely's Bar-B-Cue close to there? thumb

Ok, first call for help.

Directions to get from Millington to TSAAA baseball HQ's at the  Holiday Inn

And isn't Neely's Bar-B-Cue close to there?    thumb

825680437[/snapback]

Hey, David, Neely's BBQ is next exit South after Poplar Ave (Mt. Moriah) on I-240. Go south on Mt. Moriah and Neely's is 3/4 mi or so on your left. Maybe 5-10 minutes from Holiday Inn.

To get to Millington from Poplar/I-240, go back north on I-240 loop. You will continue north past I-40, Covington Pike, Jackson, etc. until you see an exit for Highway 51 to Millington. Go north on this and you will drive right by stadium on your left. This is about a 30-45 minute drive if I remember correctly and you may find a shortcut after you get there and ask around.

Good luck this week.

Question, Does anyone know if any of the single A games are going to be broadcast  and if so where.  Since I'm in east tenn it would have to be an internet feed.  But I was curious.  Thanks

825680515[/snapback]

I don't know of one and I don't remember one from last year, but I will check it out and let you know if I hear of anyone or see anyone broadcasting. thumb

Ok, first call for help.

Directions to get from Millington to TSAAA baseball HQ's at the  Holiday Inn

And isn't Neely's Bar-B-Cue close to there?    thumb

825680437[/snapback]

Neely's isn't terribly far. Take 240 "WB" (really south) to the next exit, Mount Moriah, turn left, and Neely's is on the left after about five lights. Best BBQ in the area is near the Southaven site. MUCH better than Neely's, IMO, though Neely's isn't bad. But I wouldn't suggest going to South Third Street at night.

The route I'm going to tell you to use won't make a ton of sense on a map, but the name of the game is avoiding stoplights. :)

Take I-385 east from Millington to the second or third exit, which is Covington Pike or SR-204, then go south for a while. When you get to Austin Peay (SR-14), turn right. Take Austin Peay to I-40 East, which turns into 240 west. Poplar is Exit 15, the second exit after the 40/240 split. Take the Poplar exit and bear to the left to go to eastbound Poplar. Stay in the left lane, because you'll make a U-Turn onto Westbound Poplar (you can only go in the H.I. Select from the wesbound lanes, you'll understand it when you see it). Take the second driveway for the Select, it has a gate that automatically opens when it senses traffic.

BTW, I wouldn't use Hotrod's directions to Millington...it gets you there, sure, but it goes through town -- meaning stoplights and lots of them -- and through a not particularly good part of town at that.

Use the reverse of mine...again, there's a total of about six stoplights last time I went this way. Take 240 EB and it turns into 40 WB, exit 8 is Austin Peay, take the exit and bear left to go northbound. Go until the fifth stop light, which is Covington Pike (TN-204) and turn left. Get on 385 WB (if you get to the guard gate, you probably want to turn around :rolleyes: ), turn right when it dead-ends, and the stadium will be on the left at the next light.

(If you're coming in from Nashville, take the 385 exit (it's at Exit 24-25, I never can remember which one it is, but those two exit together :D ) rather than going through town.

Edited by Opperman

BTW, I wouldn't use Hotrod's directions to Millington...it gets you there, sure, but it goes through town -- meaning stoplights and lots of them -- and through a not particularly good part of town at that.

825680627[/snapback]

Opperman, I cannot believe you would deny anyone the opportunity to travel through the great community of Frazier. :rolleyes:

You can tell its been several years since I last lived in Memphis. I forgot all about 385, which is the way I go when coming in from Jackson, TN. Thanks!!

At least I remember where Neely's is, and yes, I wouldn't send him to Interstate BBQ either on 3rd Street. thumb

Edited by hotrod471

Opperman, I cannot believe you would deny anyone the opportunity to travel through the great community of Frazier. :lol:

You can tell its been several years since I last lived in Memphis.  I forgot all about 385, which is the way I go when coming in from Jackson, TN.  Thanks!!

At least I remember where Neely's is, and yes, I wouldn't send him to Interstate BBQ either on 3rd Street.  thumb

825680658[/snapback]

No, I said I wouldn't send him to Interstate for dinner. Lunch, on the other hand... thumb thumb thumb

I'm coming from Nashville on I-40 whats the easiest way to get to Bartlett & Bolton ballfields ?

825680638[/snapback]

For Bolton, take the TN-385 exit (24/25) and follow the Millington signs. The second exit (might be third) is Brunswick Road. Take the exit and turn right (north). Bolton will be on the left...you'll turn in before the school to get to the baseball field.

For Bartlett, take I-40 in to exit 12, Sycamore View. Turn right (north). The field is in Freeman Park, which is on your left right after the fifth stoplight (Elmore Rd).

To go between them is interesting... :lol:

Going from Bartlett to Bolton is easy. Turn left on Bartlett Blvd (Sycamore View changes names when it gets to the Bartlett city line), then turn left in front of Pig-N-Whistle onto Bartlett Rd. Turn left at the light, which is Stage. After you pass a couple of churches, the next road on the right is Old Brownsville, turn right there. Take OB until it dead-ends (by which point it's known as New Brownsville) in TN-14, Austin Peay Hwy. Turn right on Austin Peay, take it to TN-385. Take 385 east, Brunswick is the first exit, turn left at the bottom of the ramp and it's the same as above.

Coming from Bolton to Bartlett is a little tougher, especially at night. Take 385 west to Austin Peay (TN-14), turn left to go south/west (I don't remember which it's signed as). After about 5 miles, you'll turn left on New Brownsville...which is very easy to just fly by. It's right after a stoplight, and there's a left-turn lane. That's about all I can tell you for how to spot it. From there, you'll want to take New Brownsville (which turns into Old Brownsville) to Yale Road, which has a four-way stop sign. Turn left on Yale. Take Yale to Sycamore View and turn right. Go straight through the light at Stage, then turn right at the stop sign where it dead-ends and the park is on the right.

Bartlett's in the heart of a community, Bolton's next to a cotton field. So there's all kinds of restaurants around Bartlett, jack squat near Bolton.

When you're at Bartlett, find me...I'm the official scorer, I'll have a laptop in front of me.