Coaches calling pitches

softball019

What would be the reason for a coach to call a pitch right down the middle,waist high with 2 strikes 1 or 2 ball count to really good hitters, the number 3 and 4 batter on a team that has made it to the state. I cannot come up with a good reason on my own, so I am looking for some help.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When in doubt blame the coach! I am sure that he woke up that morning and wanted his pitcher to throw a meat pitch and lose the chance to go to state. I do it all of the time, I have several friends who are coaches who do it all of time as well because they lose games sometimes as well. We love to tell the pitcher to throw a homerun or game winning hit and lose the game. That is the advantage of having hind site, knowing after the fact what pitch not to throw. OR it could be like the post before that the pitcher just missed her spot or the ball didnt do what she wanted it to do. Just a thought.

The pitch was called there by the coach. Both times.The pitcher didn't miss her spot. She through it right where he wanted it. He was hoping to catch them looking. Since everyone is only saying stupid things then I know there was not a good reason behind it. Thanks for your response.

The pitch was called there by the coach. Both times.The pitcher didn't miss her spot. She through it right where he wanted it. He was hoping to catch them looking. Since everyone is only saying stupid things then I know there was not a good reason behind it.  Thanks for your response.

825680633[/snapback]

ok lets say the coach did call it right down the middle, the only reason I can see a coach doing this is if he thinks the pitcher can blow it right by the batter or he does not know what he is doing. I know our pitchers have the ability and right to shake off any pitch. If there is a problem then a timeout would ensue.

The pitch was shook off twice the first time and he kept calling it,so it was thrown. The second time the same thing but was shook off again, then a timeout,visit to the mound, then the pitch was thrown again. She is taught coach has the last say so, so she through what he wanted. There was not a good reason to throw this pitch. not one.

What was the umpires strike zone like? Sometimes you have no choice but to groove pitches if the umpire has a plate with no corners. As a matter of fact I remember a Head Coach having a meeting with a young Freshman pitcher in a crucial game where the umpire was squeezing the plate. This Coach instructed the pitcher to throw in down the middle. When she told him she couldn't do that he took her out of the game, right Cobracoach. We still laugh about that game! Hope you are feeling better. We were really concerned--- for the hospital staff.

The pitch was shook off twice the first time and he kept calling it,so it was thrown. The second time the same thing but was shook off again, then a timeout,visit to the mound, then the pitch was thrown again. She is taught coach has the last say so, so she through what he wanted. There was not a good reason to throw this pitch. not one.

825680655[/snapback]

no win situation there. Me personnally i will never call a pitch down the middle even on 3-0 count, unless i want my pitcher not to have any teeth left. It is dangerous for the pitcher's health and not great game stradegy.

825680655[/snapback]

The main reason I can think of is the pitcher was struggling with the strike zone. Sometimes a coach will call down the middle because the pither's other pitches are not working.

Edited by Antwan