Private schools

McCallie and Brentwood Academy could not follow the established rules. No public schools should be playing McCallie in the postseason, for example, when their best player in football last season was from North Carolina. No public school should be playing Chattanooga Temple in the postseason or in region play, when their best player is from Georgia. There is a clear divide now among the private schools playing in Class A, AA and the public schools, the results prove it. Why the eagerness to keep them together when it's a fact things are unequal?

825685180[/snapback]

How deceptive can you get Indian. You and I both know that the Georgia line is about a mile from Temple's campus. That has nothing to do with any argument except it sounds real good and inflammatory.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How deceptive can you get Indian.  You and I both know that the Georgia line is about a mile from Temple's campus.  That has nothing to do with any argument except it sounds real good and inflammatory.

825685251[/snapback]

Could care less, anyone living in another state should not be playing Tennessee players in the postseason or in district/region play. The players aren't from a mile away, and I'm sure you know that. More like 30, right?

Could care less, anyone living in another state should not be playing Tennessee players in the postseason or in district/region play. The players aren't from a mile away, and I'm sure you know that. More like 30, right?

825685262[/snapback]

And this would hold water if people never went to public schools that they weren't zoned for. But they do. Besides, this is another debate entirely...a red herring for this thread. And it has been debated endlessly.

I'll sum up my position. A pool that is very wide but very shallow has no more water in it than one that is narrow but deep. The only way that a large area that students come from gives the privates an advantage is if they INTENTIONALLY take athletes preferrentially...which they don't.

McCallie and Brentwood Academy could not follow the established rules. No public schools should be playing McCallie in the postseason, for example, when their best player in football last season was from North Carolina. No public school should be playing Chattanooga Temple in the postseason or in region play, when their best player is from Georgia. There is a clear divide now among the private schools playing in Class A, AA and the public schools, the results prove it. Why the eagerness to keep them together when it's a fact things are unequal?

825685180[/snapback]

Is your point that Tennessee kids can't compete with kids from NC or Georgia? I would hope that any self- respecting Tennessee athlete would find that notion offensive. I don't understand the fear of good competition. As I see it, it only makes you better.

825685262[/snapback]

Indian...Then under your thoughts, no public school in Memphis should be allowed in the postseason. If you didn`t know, it is totally legal for any kid from Arkansas or Mississippi to attend public schools in Memphis.

So basically what you are saying is that it is ok for public schools to be allowed to get a kid from out of state, but not a private school.

Indian...Then under your thoughts, no public school in Memphis should be allowed in the postseason. If you didn`t know, it is totally legal for any kid from Arkansas or Mississippi to attend public schools in Memphis.

So basically what you are saying is that it is ok for public schools to be allowed to get a kid from out of state, but not a private school.

825685567[/snapback]

And welcome back VG...Stan and Laz and Bighurt and SuperSteve from the old gang and a couple of new guys are all here again...what a party!

And welcome back VG...Stan and Laz and Bighurt and SuperSteve from the old gang and a couple of new guys are all here again...what a party!

825685704[/snapback]

Baldcoach, I guess I must admit that I have been lurking around as well.

By the way, seems like my Trojans have a transfer QB from a local private school that you may be familiar with. I wonder if he will be eligible?

back to a long ago question regarding financing of the tssaa. of course, when i stated that it was not paid for by tax dollars, it was meant that it was not a state run office. however, the question about dues made sense...

our school, and i assume most (if not all) others, does pay the tssaa dues from their regular budget. which would mean that some tax money does go to the tssaa. i asked how much the dues were, and was told "not much, i dont remember the exact amount.... where they get a lot of money is playoff games."

i talked to someone form the tssaa board of control (admittedly they might not have a clue regarding operations) and was told that the "dues are not significant" and that "most of the money comes from playoffs". he did not have exact figures, and when i inquired about getting financial statements, was uncertain what they would provide... i am not inclined to pursue this line further, as i doubt it would vary from that assessment, and it really has little to do with the real question of how the poor private parents are screwed by having to pay for schools their kids dont attend.

i am a libertarian. i pay my taxes with anger, and disgust, at the fact that most of my tax money is wasted on projects in which the government should not be involved. but even i can grasp that education is a necessary government function. we all benefit from public education, and the smallest benefit is having our children receive it.

Baldcoach,  I guess I must admit that I have been lurking around as well. 

By the way, seems like my Trojans have a transfer QB from a local private school that you may be familiar with.  I wonder if he will be eligible?

825685817[/snapback]

Hey C

I don't know. He did play some last year for us...I suppose his family will file a hardship but I am not really involved with the whole thing...he was a QB and I deal with the Defense primarily.

Hey C

I don't know.  He did play some last year for us...I suppose his family will file a hardship but I am not really involved with the whole thing...he was a QB and I deal with the Defense primarily.

825685873[/snapback]

Some say he will be, others say he won't. Oh well, I hope he is good enough (and is eligible) so they can keep Ricketts at receiver.

• 4 weeks later...
Should private schools have their own class to compete in? Looking at the State Tournament scores, it seems unfair for ClassA teams to have to compete against teams like Goodpasture. Private schools can recruit the best of the best and public schools must make do with what they're given. Any thoughts or feelings?

825681908[/snapback]

Insell was very good at it for Shelbyville for years and no one seemed to mind? Why is it always just Private schools? Just ask your other Public school "girls basketball coaches" about it.