Question? about Memphis.

wad

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say no.. the venues are too spread out ... why not use just four fields for baseball and play games at 12 230 500 and 730 ... that just logical to me ... plus memphis traffic with st jude and holiday traffic was awful getting from Bolton to Southaven was a mess ... I was covering 3 schools ... 1 baseball and 2 softball ....

Use fields like UofM .. Gagaliano .. CBHS .. and Briarcrest for baseball .. keep all the venues close to one another ... I dont see a problem with have the state title games at old tim mccarver stadium or at Uof M ... both nice places ... actually they used of UofM the first year ...

Last year was alot better ... but this was just awful ... cant wait till it comes back earth .. or middle tennessee like in 93

I would say no.. the venues are too spread out ... why not use just four fields for baseball and play games at 12 230 500 and 730 ... that just logical to me ... plus Memphis traffic with st jude and holiday traffic was awful getting from Bolton to Southaven was a mess ... I was covering 3 schools ... 1 baseball and 2 softball ....

Use fields like UofM .. Gagaliano .. CBHS .. and Briarcrest for baseball .. keep all the venues close to one another ... I dont see a problem with have the state title games at old tim mccarver stadium or at Uof M ... both nice places ... actually they used of UofM the first year ...

Last year was alot better ... but this was just awful  ... cant wait till it comes back earth .. or middle tennessee like in 93

825684294[/snapback]

Did Memphis set these sites, or did someone else. If it was someone else how can you blame Memphis.

I didnt have the problems of the above poster, I was only there to watch one team and therefore at one site.. I feel that Memphis did a good job.. loved the field and facilities we played at.. bolton boosters were friendly.. i've had worse 'dogs at a ballpark ;) nice clean hotel, 15 minutes to the field .. a cracker barrel is a cracker barrel... i had zero problems with memphis (other than some navigation problems, which would arise at any city I've never been in) .. if they host again i hope to go back

I would say no.. the venues are too spread out ... why not use just four fields for baseball and play games at 12 230 500 and 730 ... that just logical to me ... plus memphis traffic with st jude and holiday traffic was awful getting from Bolton to Southaven was a mess ... I was covering 3 schools ... 1 baseball and 2 softball ....

Last year was alot better ... but this was just awful  ... cant wait till it comes back earth .. or middle tennessee like in 93

825684294[/snapback]

Timmy Mac is gone and was awful. The U of M stadium is awful too.

TSSAA sets the schedules, and they're the ones who basically required 8 fields. I think aside from using Field 2 at USA too much, they got the fields right...Bolton may not be the most convenient if you're going from there to someplace other than Millington, but it's very convenient for people coming into town from the east, take 385 and you're right there.

And I think it's funny you mention Briarcrest as being a good "close to one another" site and bash Bolton for being out in the sticks. Briarcrest is without doubt the best HS athletic complex in the Memphis area, but it's way out there.

Briarcrest is alot closer to other venues I mentioned than Bolton ... Bolton was a nice complex and so is USA Stadium ... but when you have tack at BCS, tennis at Hutchison and Rhodes ... Soccer at Mike Rose (Collierville) .. softball in Southaven (still havent figured that one out in three years), BCS makes more sense as a fourth site ....Why not play night games? UofM is alot better than any site other than Engel Stadium when it was in good shap and Auto Zone .. that they have used since the Fling inception in 94

Briarcrest is alot closer to other venues I mentioned than Bolton ... Bolton was a nice complex and so is USA Stadium ... but when you have tack at BCS, tennis at Hutchison and Rhodes ... Soccer at Mike Rose (Collierville) .. softball in Southaven (still havent figured that one out in three years), BCS makes more sense as a fourth site ....Why not play night games? UofM is alot better than any site other than Engel Stadium when it was in good shap and Auto Zone .. that they have used since the Fling inception in 94

825684554[/snapback]

U of M is the worst site of the ones used this year other than Field 2 at USA.

Why no night games? Ask the TSSAA...they were the ones who insisted on day games. I asked the event manager from Memphis specifically about that, and he said he wished we could have had more night games too.

Speaking of the night games, how many more people do you think would have showed up for the games had they been at night. There are more baseball fans in the area that would have come had the games not been during work hours. As for the fields, people who know there way around Memphis have no problem getting from one place to the other. I know that does not help the guests, but directors do not think like that. Autozone park would have held the championship ballgames, but they would have had to be scheduled around the Redbirds games. The rumor of that is that someone who has a bit of say-so at the park did not want highschoolers playing on his field. I am from the Memphis area, and I was not happy with the way things went this year either. To be fair to all the TSSAA should use a rotating schedule for the fling so that everyone gets a piece of the pie.

Speaking of the night games, how many more people do you think would have showed up for the games had they been at night.  There are more baseball fans in the area that would have come had the games not been during work hours.  As for the fields, people who know there way around Memphis have no problem getting from one place to the other.  I know that does not help the guests, but directors do not think like that.  Autozone park would have held the championship ballgames, but they would have had to be scheduled around the Redbirds games.  The rumor of that is that someone who has a bit of say-so at the park did not want highschoolers playing on his field.  I am from the Memphis area, and I was not happy with the way things went this year either.  To be fair to all the TSSAA should use a rotating schedule for the fling so that everyone gets a piece of the pie.

825684737[/snapback]

The Redbirds offered AutoZone again, but the TSSAA and the remnants of the Sports Authority chose to use USA instead.

None of the venues are hard to find or get to -- going between a couple of them takes a while sometimes, but not that many people actually have to do that...and it takes time, but isn't hard.

softball in Southaven (still havent figured that one out in three years),

825684554[/snapback]

Softball is in Southaven because the TSSAA wants all of the softball held at 1 complex. They didn't want any division to feel slighted that they are regulated to competing on some other fields. We have some great softball complexes in Memphis, just none with the number of fields that Greenbrook in Southaven has, so none that can host the entire softball event.

Edited by CoachDelgado

Softball is in Southaven because the TSSAA wants all of the softball held at 1 complex.  They didn't want any division to feel slighted that they are regulated to competing on some other fields.  We have some great softball complexes in Memphis, just none with the number of fields that Greenbrook in Southaven has, so none that can host the entire softball event.

825685032[/snapback]

1 field can play as many games as 4 fields if the games are scheduled correctly. Less travel time more convenient.

Biggest reason is $$$$$$$$. You could play on less fields if they played more games a day. But if they do they couldn't charge for sessions. All broke down to spread out the money. More locations more money to hosts.

1 field can play as many games as 4 fields if the games are scheduled correctly. Less travel time more convenient.

Biggest reason is $$$$$$$$. You could play on less fields if they played more games a day. But if they do they couldn't charge for sessions. All broke down to spread out the money.  More locations more money to hosts.

825685108[/snapback]

The TSSAA is requiring six fields together, even though you're correct, the tournament could be scheduled to work with just four fields.