Copper Basin reneging on contract to play Polk!

boothman

I have never heard of a program doing this so close to the season. If this is true this has to put Polk in a bind trying to find a 10th game to fill out their schedule. I have heard people in East Tennessee say how classless the Copper Basin program is. I didn't want to beleive it, but if this is true I am not sure anymore. I have always been taught that you have to follow through with a commitment. What is this teaching our young people? Has anyone heard about this?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the financial loss for backing out of a contract but it used to be about 500.00 but that was several years ago. Maybe the standard contract today needs to have a 5 or 10 grand buyout clause. I have heard of this happening several times in the last few years. This just shows the type of leadership that our tax dollars are paying for..

The superintendant is out of town? Did Basin try to slip this in the back door while he was out of town? I know alot of teams that knew they were going to take a beating but they went ahead and played the game. If I am not mistaken Basin has beaten Polk 7 out of the last 10 years, why tuck your tail and run when you are batting .700. Maybe the tax payers should let it be known that their tax dollars shouldn't be spent on this kind of leadership.

I received confirmation today at 1:30 that Copper Basin has definitely backed out of the contract with Polk Co. Polk has picked up Andrews NC to play in week one.

Basin refused to solve this problem by either playing Marion Co. or Murphy NC in week 0. Polk would have played the team that Basin didn't. Instead Basin wanted to forfeit to Polk for two years. Instead of taking the two forfeits Polk wanted to pick someone up so they would have a complete schedule. Andrews NC agreed to play and said they would not back out like Basin did.

I can't beleive that the few men who are leading the young people of Copper Basin are acting more immature and childish than the young men themselves. Maybe the players at Copper Basin will let their Coach and Administrators know how childish they are acting. I beleive Coach Stone is jealous of the job that Coach Davis has been doing at Polk Co. Coach Stone only wishes he could instill the PRIDE into a program that Coach Davis has.

I hope the media gets wind of this and blasts the leadership at Copper Basin High School for the travesty that has taken place. This was one of the greatest rivalries in the state of TN.

I have never heard of a program doing this so close to the season. If this is true this has to put Polk in a bind trying to find a 10th game to fill out their schedule. I have heard people in East Tennessee say how classless the Copper Basin program is. I didn't want to beleive it, but if this is true I am not sure anymore. I have always been taught that you have to follow through with a commitment. What is this teaching our young people? Has anyone heard about this?

825687256[/snapback]

I think you hit the nail on the head Boothman! The program at Basin is classless.

Example 1 The confetti snowstorm ie. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Example 2 1985 and 1986 Basin was loaded and in 85 were #1 in class a but lost to Polk both years and ended the rivalry until the '90's.

Remember the old adage "Lead by example" In this case their players need to ignore the example!

This is a shame. I know the bad blood exists but isn't that why you have rivalries! I hope this is not a sign of our leadership for the upcoming year. I am upset that this issue was not brought up to anyone in the community. The leadership certainly did not show our community any respect with this issue. Instead they went behind our backs and did not ask for our input. I am sorry to say this but at this point Polk County does have more class. I hope we are not teaching our kids to give up when things get tough, that's exactly what we did!