Who is the best QB in Knoxville area?

SS55

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Harb from CAK is not only the best QB on paper but also on the field. This kid is the real deal and if you come to CAK on a friday night this fall you will become a believer. Following his 2000+yd season last year and losing only one receiver from last year Harb could easily break 3000yds and 30 touchdowns. His poise, arm strength, accuracy, and his git er done attitude make him the best QB east of Nashville.

HE MOVED TO MARYVILLE

825710904[/snapback]

Maryville City Schools allow students from outside of the zone to pay a tuition and attend their schools. Burnette did that last year. The family was living in Halls and driving him to Maryville to school.

I understand that the Burnetts were building a home in Maryville. I'm not sure if they've actually moved yet, but that was the plan.

The TSSAA allows a student to be eligible to play under these circumstances as long as they begin their freshman year at that school.

Maryville isn't the only school that offers this type of opportunity. Any system that is a city school system within a county that has a separate school system can do it, too. Oak Ridge, Clinton, and D-B are a few that come to mind right off the top of my head.

Edited by HTV

I dont know what it is about you guys but i think that sweetwater will like always run the ball but they dont have that big power runner in dustin latham now they got a speed runner in craig if the sweetwater coaching staff would look around and see what they got they need to throw the ball they got one great arm in Sam Mason #3. I expect him to turn some heads when they do call passing plays.

Brad Ramsey from Morristown East is the best prototype Quarterback in East Tennessee. He is tall, big arm and fast a foot. Only problem may be his offensive line (unproven). Helton is a great High School QB, but Ramsey is a real sleeper. It may be worth the hour ride to Morristown for any of you Knoxville area football fans to see the combination of Ramsey , Penland and their prolific air attack. Brad is a class act and the Furman coaches can attest to that. UT scouts need to take a look at this Ramsey kid,Penland and Garretson ( huge fullback or tight end) ala Jason Witten.

825710155[/snapback]

BlMed, from very reliable sources, Phil Fulmer and company have already taken more than a look at Garretson. Not many kids with his size at least 6'3" 265lb. that run 4.7 40's and have the skills to play FB or TE. He also won the long throw at the jamboree with at toss of about 65 yards, not that he is a QB, but it does show some of his ability and strength.

thumb

BlMed, from very reliable sources, Phil Fulmer and company have already taken more than a look at Garretson. Not many kids with his size at least 6'3" 265lb. that run 4.7 40's and have the skills to play FB or TE. He also won the long throw at the jamboree with at toss of about 65 yards, not that he is a QB, but it does show  some of his ability and strength.

825716426[/snapback]

Big Daddy :

I agree Blake Garretson is a great athlete and could have made it big in either baseball or basketball . He has the potential to be another Jason Witten .

Also I still think Brad Ramsey is a diamond in the rough. I think both he and Shawn Penland will have a big year. If Ramsey has the kind of year he is capable of having as a junior, he may end up being the top recruit QB out of Tennessee next year. I wish Ramsey was in Knoxville so he would get the kind of exposure that Helton is getting.

For instance, last year Penland averaged some incredible yards per catch and hardly received any press. Like I said before those three alone are worth a trip to Morristown, to see some potential college standouts in the making. Hopefully Fulmer and company will take notice and look in their own back yard............

thumb

Big Daddy :

I agree Blake Garretson is a great athlete and could have made it big in either baseball or basketball . He has the potential to be another Jason Witten .

Also I still think Brad Ramsey is a diamond in the rough. I think both he and Shawn  Penland will have a big year. If Ramsey has the kind of year he is capable of having as a junior, he may end up being the top recruit QB out of Tennessee next year. I wish Ramsey was in Knoxville so he would get the kind of exposure that Helton is getting.

For instance, last year Penland  averaged some incredible yards per catch and hardly received any press. Like I said before those three alone are worth a trip to Morristown, to see some potential college standouts in the making. Hopefully Fulmer and company will take notice and look in their own back yard............

825716582[/snapback]

I agree. Ramsey has some skills, and the best two things are the fact that he will only be a junior this season which means he has two more years to develop, and get stronger ( which he needs ) and he has great work ethic. When the hot days of summer rolled around and a lot of kids get lazy, you could find him several days a week at the soccer field at Frank Lorino throwing with another former Cane QB.

Penland has always had a knack for making big plays. He averaged over 20 yards per reception as a sophomore, and upped that last year. Not to take anything away from him he is a fine player, but part of the great numbers posted in yards per catch can be attributed to coach Larry Smith's coaching style. He likes to throw the ball deep and puts his players in position to be playmakers.

As far as not getting a lot of press, the prep-extra would post the stats if the school would turn them in, which in my opinion is the responsibility of the coaches, to make the stats available, and the athletic director to promote the student athletes. Anyway, just my opinion, Garretson is D1 material, Ramsey has two years to go so who knows how much better he will get, and if Penland has an outstanding senior year he could land with the right team. Hopefully all have their grades in order which is of course the most important thing.

I agree. Ramsey has some skills, and the best two things are the fact that he will only be a junior this season which means he has two more years to develop, and get stronger ( which he needs ) and he has great work ethic. When the hot days of summer rolled around and a lot of kids get lazy, you could find him several days a week at the soccer field at Frank Lorino throwing with another former Cane QB.

Penland has always had a knack for making big plays. He averaged over 20 yards per reception as a sophomore, and upped that last year. Not to take anything away from him he is a fine player, but part of the great numbers posted in yards per catch can be attributed to coach Larry Smith's coaching style. He likes to throw the ball deep and puts his players in position to be playmakers.

As far as not getting a lot of press, the prep-extra would post the stats if the school would turn them in, which in my opinion is the responsibility of the coaches, to make the stats available, and the athletic director to promote the student athletes. Anyway, just my opinion, Garretson is D1 material, Ramsey has two years to go so who knows how much better he will get, and if Penland has an outstanding senior year he could land with the right team. Hopefully all have their grades in order which is of course the most important thing.

825716636[/snapback]

In answer to the question of this topic "Who is the best QB in the Knoxville area? And is anyone better than Zach Helton?

I believe Brad Ramsey is, but it remains for Brad and his teammates to prove it. we shall see? The offense line will have to rise to the occasion.

That former Cane QB wouldn't have been Palazzola ? Or maybe Randy Sanders? :D At least Ramsey has some great tradition of QB's to follow at East.

In answer to the question of this topic "Who is the best QB in the Knoxville area? And is anyone better than Zach Helton?

I believe Brad Ramsey is, but it remains for Brad and his teammates to prove it. we shall see? The offense line will have to rise to the occasion.

That former Cane QB wouldn't have been  Palazzola ? Or maybe Randy Sanders?  :D At least  Ramsey has some great tradition of QB's to follow at East.

825716725[/snapback]

Yeah, one of those two. thumb They are pretty good friends. Can't leave out Charles Cole when you talk about tradition. Didn't see him play in person but many who did said he was better than Sanders.

I just wanted to see what people thought about this topic. Zach Helton might be the biggest playmaker under the center in the state. His feet and his vision of the field can make a defense want to fold up sometimes. Knoxville doesn't seem to have any other great QB's besides Helton.

825687812[/snapback]

Best QB in Knoxville:

Watts: Height 6'2; 40 time 4.5; Arm Strength 60 yd+ ; Bench Press 225, 12 times.

Helton: Height 5'9; 40 time 4.7; Arm strength 50 yards; Bench Press 225, 3 times.

Stanton: Height 5'11; 40 time 4.8; Arm Strength 50 yards; Bench Press 225, 4 times.

Stats on the field are close, Stanton throws a lot more more passes. Someone mentioned toughness, that would be the biggest difference between the three.

Helton and Stanton would probably agree that Watts is the toughest with out a doubt. Come signing day in February College Coaches will let you know who they think is the best player. Any Bets?

Edited by ScottA11