Tn-KY All star game

nununu

The problems were many but the bottom line is that this wasn't a team made up of the best 40 football players in Tennessee. Too many of the best players refuse to participate. Also, if the head coach is not a member of TACA, they aren't eligible. I know that cost the linemen from O.R. that went to UNC in '99. He definitely could have played on this team but his coach wasn't TACA.

Of those that played, the marquee players (read between the lines) seemed to be so afraid of injuries that they might as well have stayed on the bus.

This is a good program (of which I have been a part of for the last seven years) with good players and good coaches. You have no idea what kind of sacrifice it is for both at this time of year.

Yet, losing stinks and it wasn't much fun.

As for the fight at the end, all the Kentucky QB had to do was take a knee and run out the clock but he chose instead to dance around in the backfield, being cute. Nick McFadden from Catholic did what he should have done, tackle him before he decided to take off for the end zone. THAT was how the fight at the end started.

And I will say unequivically that the personal fouls that plagued the game (and a bunch that should have been called) were the result of complete ineptitude on the part of the officials. They were holding and clipping calls all night that should have been called. After one particularly grievous no-call on a hold on the corner, the sideline official said that if the KY kid had broke it for a touchdown, he would have called it. It was absolutely crystal clear that they were not there to officiate the game but to see how many flags that they could NOT throw. They definitely let it get out of hand.

Terrence Scott is a great kid that I enjoyed getting to know. So was Baron Huber. Both should do well.

We needed receivers. The kid going to Wake Forest was the only one that ran good routes.

I hope we play it next year. Coach Jim Cartwright has been in bad health and wasn't able to be there this year. My best wishes to a great fellow. It is a good event that needs to be perpetuated. But we definitely need to get the best players convinced to play and maybe that doesn't include the UT signees and that's all I'll say about that.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok this all sound fine and dandy, but arfe you one of the coaches that coached this Alls Star team? If so, you stated you needed recievers. I quote you "

We needed receivers. The kid going to Wake Forest was the only one that ran good routes."

I can't really speak for everyone else because I only know the stats on Terence Scott. Why play him only as a punt returner? If I'm not mistakened, the coaches wanted to put him in during the last two minutes of the game as a reciever because they knew what Terence could do. During regular season, he scored two touch downs in 15 seconds. This is what he does to put himself on the map. He scores or get the team enough breathing room so someone else can score.

The problems were many but the bottom line is that this wasn't a team made up of the best 40 football players in Tennessee.  Too many of the best players refuse to participate.  Also, if the head coach is not a member of TACA, they aren't eligible.  I know that cost the linemen from O.R. that went to UNC in '99.  He definitely could have played on this team but his coach wasn't TACA.

Of those that played, the marquee players (read between the lines) seemed to be so afraid of injuries that they might as well have stayed on the bus.

This is a good program (of which I have been a part of for the last seven years) with good players and good coaches.  You have no idea what kind of sacrifice it is for both at this time of year.

As for the fight at the end, all the Kentucky QB had to do was take a knee and run out the clock but he chose instead to dance around in the backfield, being cute.  Nick McFadden from Catholic did what he should have done, tackle him before he decided to take off for the end zone.  THAT was how the fight at the end started.

And I will say unequivically that the personal fouls that plagued the game (and a bunch that should have been called) were the result of complete ineptitude on the part of the officials.  They were holding and clipping calls all night that should have been called.  After one particularly grievous no-call on a hold on the corner, the sideline official said that if the KY kid had broke it for a touchdown, he would have called it.  It was absolutely crystal clear that they were not there to officiate the game but to see how many flags that they could NOT throw.  They definitely let it get out of hand.

Terrence Scott is a great kid that I enjoyed getting to know.  So was Baron Huber.  Both should do well. 

We needed receivers.  The kid going to Wake Forest was the only one that ran good routes.

I hope we play it next year.  Coach Jim Cartwright has been in bad health and wasn't able to be there this year.  My best wishes to a great fellow.  It is a good event that needs to be perpetuated.  But we definitely need to get the best players convinced to play and maybe that doesn't include the UT signees and that's all I'll say about that.

825692534[/snapback]

The problems were many but the bottom line is that this wasn't a team made up of the best 40 football players in Tennessee.  Too many of the best players refuse to participate.  Also, if the head coach is not a member of TACA, they aren't eligible.  I know that cost the linemen from O.R. that went to UNC in '99.  He definitely could have played on this team but his coach wasn't TACA.

This is a good program (of which I have been a part of for the last seven years) with good players and good coaches.  You have no idea what kind of sacrifice it is for both at this time of year.

As for the fight at the end, all the Kentucky QB had to do was take a knee and run out the clock but he chose instead to dance around in the backfield, being cute.  Nick McFadden from Catholic did what he should have done, tackle him before he decided to take off for the end zone.  THAT was how the fight at the end started.

And I will say unequivically that the personal fouls that plagued the game (and a bunch that should have been called) were the result of complete ineptitude on the part of the officials.  They were holding and clipping calls all night that should have been called.  After one particularly grievous no-call on a hold on the corner, the sideline official said that if the KY kid had broke it for a touchdown, he would have called it.  It was absolutely crystal clear that they were not there to officiate the game but to see how many flags that they could NOT throw.  They definitely let it get out of hand.

Terrence Scott is a great kid that I enjoyed getting to know.  So was Baron Huber.  Both should do well. 

We needed receivers.  The kid going to Wake Forest was the only one that ran good routes.

I hope we play it next year.  Coach Jim Cartwright has been in bad health and wasn't able to be there this year.  My best wishes to a great fellow.  It is a good event that needs to be perpetuated.  But we definitely need to get the best players convinced to play and maybe that doesn't include the UT signees and that's all I'll say about that.

825692534[/snapback]

I thought it was MacAdams that hit the QB from Ky that started it all.

With all due respect, Terrence Scott did not have much in the way of opportunities in this game, but he is a great kid that should have a solid career in college football. I look for him to be in the D-IA level in two years.

No, I'm not a coach but I'll just have to leave it at that.

...but with that said, the coaches did an excellent job. Don't judge the resultant playing time unless you were there all week during three-a-days and then the late night coaching meetings all week. I might have done a few things differently, but isn't it always easier to coach from the stands? or on Monday morning?

As an example, wouldn't you have pulled Adkins from the UT baseball game against Arizona State? Did you question Delmonico's choice? But have you ever coached a team to the CWS?

2001 was the last time we won this game.Four years in a row without a win. We had some really great players in 2001 who wanted to win and PLAY! We had the Bullocks twins who went to Nebraska to play.( I never could understand why UT didn't get these two guys) One of the Bullocks got drafted in the early second round during the recent draft. I think it was Josh Bullock who returned an interception 107 yards to seal the win for Tennessee.We won 30-20. We also had Cooper Wallace who is now at Auburn, Jake Slaughter who also is at Auburn, the Crenshaw kid at QB who signed a full ride at Florida St.( he's since been moved to TE). We had the Dickerson kid who signed a full ride to Arkansas. The best thing we could do was RUN the football.Every kid we had took so much pride in blowing Kentucky's line off the ball and that was exactly what we did. So let's get back to having some pride and quit the politics.I know that Jeff Morris from Milan didn't. All he wanted to do is win and we did! What a team!

Why can you not run the football with D1 Prospects all across the OLine and the 2nd best all-purpose back in the nation running the football (Coker)? What kind of running game did they employ? Did they run a zone concept or a man blocking scheme, with a lot of straight ahead and counter trey blocking?

825692497[/snapback]

One thing that is now hurting this game is the rule change that allows scholarship players to attend summer school. The players will be on campus by the first week of June and many won't want to miss out on classes or team workouts. With that said, there were still a few players that chose to play.

The running game is going to be limited. You're only allowed to rush 4 players and the LBs have to play 3 ft back off the line. I think Coker's longest run of the night was 7 yards. Coker seemed very frustrated all night. Sweeney looked OK at times but really didn't spark the offense. Thompson really moved the team down the field when he was in but also had 3 TOs. One wasn't his fault but the other two were bad decisions. There were a few dropped balls but I actually think the receivers looked pretty good. #15 and 19 are small but very gutsy players that caught everything that came near them.

As far as a competitive game.... it was tied 27 all with 4 minutes left and TN had been up most of the game. A kick-off return for a TD, a late interception in scoring range, and another quick score made it worse than it actually was.

There wasn't any cheap shot that started the fight. With 20 secs to go, the KY QB wouldn't take a knee and he was "two-hand touched" by McAdams and he stumbled sideways. He didn't even fall down and the KY offensive line grabbed McAdams, picked him up, and threw him to the ground. Then it all broke loose. This all went back to several hits and skirmishes that went on during the game. Too many players from both sides that wanted to run their mouth, take cheap shots, or mimic NFL players after big plays.

...but with that said, the coaches did an excellent job.  Don't judge the resultant playing time unless you were there all week during three-a-days and then the late night coaching meetings all week.  I might have done a few things differently, but isn't it always easier to coach from the stands?  or on Monday morning?

As an example, wouldn't you have pulled Adkins from the UT baseball game against Arizona State?  Did you question Delmonico's choice?  But have you ever coached a team to the CWS?

825693341[/snapback]

Agreed. They put in a lot of time throughout the week and every player I spoke with had a great time.