Ooltewah vs. Cookeville

ImaOWL

stlrcoach,

Monroe with Cleveland went to the championship game in '82, '93, '94, and '95, and all of the ones in the 90's were wins. The '82 match was a 7-0 lost to a loaded Brentwood Academy on rain soaken slick field. I believe he coached (assistant and/or head) at either Alcoa or Maryville and at his alta mater McMinn before coming to Cleveland. It was almost a given that they would be district and/or region champs. They played in both a Chattanooga based district and later against a Knoxville area district.

Also which school are you at in Stafford? I got kin in the 'burg.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stlrcoach,

Monroe with Cleveland went to the championship game in '82, '93, '94, and '95, and all of the ones in the 90's were wins.  The '82 match was a 7-0 lost to a loaded <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=37&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Brentwood Academy</a> on rain soaken slick field.  I believe he coached (assistant and/or head) at either Alcoa or Maryville and at his alta mater McMinn before coming to Cleveland.  It was almost a given that they would be district and/or region champs.  They played in both a Chattanooga based district and later against a Knoxville area district.

Also which school are you at in Stafford?  I got kin in the 'burg.

825713618[/snapback]

Thanks smallie and SergeantOwl for the info. Very impressive resume! I was thinking that it was Cleveland wasn't sure.

I know what you're talking about, SgtOwl, when you talk about getting the team to the next level. Especially, from as low as they were at one time. Cookeville is much the same way. The team really peaked in the late '60's when Mack and Watson Brown were playing, but then things went downhill for a while. We were so-so (over .500) when I was playing in the mid-'80's, but nothing spectacular. Coach J has brought the old pride back to our school too! He has really turned the program around since he got there. People are coming out and supporting the team more, signs and Cav emblems are everywhere you look, and the team roster has went from about 35-40 players to probably around 80-85 showing up to start out. He has almost as many seniors this season as we had players on the teams I played on!

Now, to answer your question smallie, I am volunteer asst. at a new high school called Mountain View, in North Stafford right now. The new HC there took North Stafford High School to the state championship game last season. I'm not a teacher, so I may not be on the sidelines this season. (School Board rules) I've been and will be doing alot of work in practice with the QB's, because the only ones we have are 2 sophs. and a frosh for this season. Plus, the team is comprised of players from 2 different high schools and 3 different middle schools, all running a different type offense! During the season I will, most likely, be the OC at one of those middle schools, named A.G. Wright. We don't know for sure yet, though, because practice doesn't start until the second week of Sept. That is when they find out if the current HC is returning. He doesn't like me very well, so if he's there, I'll be in the coaches' box at Mountain View, spotting for the OC there. Then, I have a youth team that I'm the HC of, too. That's the job I love! No attitudes, no pressure, and football is still fun at that level! thumb GO STAFFORD STEELERS!!!!!

Where in the 'Burg does your family live?

Edited by stlrcoach

The kin are all around the 'burg, I think some of the nieces/newphews went to Chancellerville, others to KingGeorge, Massaponax. I believe a few of the younger ones are at Riverbend too. I got uncle in-law that is a PE teacher at a middle school in stafford, Brooks is his last name, runs a track program. Another PE teacher at the school is named Tony, I think he helps one of the high schools around there. thumb

And you are the absolute best for the job, too!  thumb

825713695[/snapback]

Thanks Fuggs! I don't know about the best, I'm just doing what I can! When you see the little guys come out and practice/play with the enthusiasm that they do, it reminds you why you ever started playing or coaching the game to start with.

It makes me feel good when I go to the elementary school my son is at, and one of my players goes out of his way to come over and say hi, give you the fist bump, etc! thumb

I'm not sure if I know Coach Brooks or not. There are 6 middle schools here already, and I believe 2 more to be built in the next couple or three years. Mountain View is our sixth high school. All of them are 1700-1800+ students!

anspa, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but you might want to watch the way you word things. CoachT, just a few days ago, addressed foul language, including using replacements for certain letters to make the word. He is very serious about it too.

Like I said, I'm not telling you that you have to. I'm just like Gilligan..."Only trying to help!" :lol:

Edited by robjim

Thanks Fuggs!  I don't know about the best, I'm just doing what I can!  When you see the little guys come out and practice/play with the enthusiasm that they do, it reminds you why you ever started playing or coaching the game to start with. 

It makes me feel good when I go to the elementary school my son is at, and one of my players goes out of his way to come over and say hi, give you the fist bump, etc!  thumb

I know what you mean. I remember when I played for Cookeville, and would try to catch my brothers games as much as I could. It was great not seeing any heartbreak when they would lose a game, and to see the good sportsmanship. Now, it just hurts to lose. They mature and become competative; I know I did.

Hey coach; Just got on Mapquest to see how long of a drive it is to get down there. It says 2hrs and 12min, but that's for normal people. i will prolly make it in 1hr and 30 or 45 min. I will probabaly leave my office about 2 and get on the road no later than three. If you think I should leave earlier, let me know, and pick out a restaraunt, too. I'm gonna skip lunch that day. The party wagon leaves in seven days, buddy. Let's go Cavs!!!!!

You guys are on CST time right?

Best place to stay would be on the shallowford road exit. so many hotel and motels to pick from then you have Hamilton Place mall and any eatery you can imagine inside and outside. The Shallowford Rd. exit is just 5 miles to the Nest and is a lot better that the super 8 but I bet there will be a party there that night after the game.

You guys are on CST time right?

Best place to stay would be on the shallowford road exit. so many hotel and motels to pick from then you have Hamilton Place mall and any eatery you can imagine inside and outside. The Shallowford Rd. exit is just 5 miles to the Nest and is a lot better that the super 8 but I bet there will be a party there that night after the game.

825714348[/snapback]

Thanks. I'm coming from VA, so is the place you're talking about off of I-75? And, yes, the rest of the Cookeville bunch is on CDT.

WOOHOO HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IS BACK!!! thumb alright now that i got that out of me, i think this will be a very close game. Ooltewah already had an awesome running game, but not with the new sec fullback it will be even better. From what i have seen , Woods is a better quarterback this year, hitting his receivers instead of their ankles. As long as Dewayne dosen't fumble, i think Ooltewah will pull this out 21-14.