Picking the "Big East"

crystal5puppy

I think we can send positive thoughts to the young men that have chosen to stay and represent their school and community on the field. I can almost certainly say that expectations from the Coach at J/C are no different then the expectations he had of his players at Oakland. For some reason, those standards affected player retention at J/C differently than at Oakland.

There is no doubt that after reading the comments from those in and around the team, that strength of character and parental influence were the main cause of the exodus of players within the J/C program.

Coaches at the High School level put in extreme hours for the love of teaching young men about the game, and hoping that they learn about life in the process. A level playing field where the same rules apply to EVERYONE is all a parent of a student/athlete can ask for. The rest is up to the young man.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can send positive thoughts to the young men that have chosen to stay and represent their school and community on the field. I can almost certainly say that expectations from the Coach at J/C are no different then the expectations he had of his players at Oakland. For some reason, those standards affected player retention at J/C differently than at Oakland.

There is no doubt that after reading the comments from those in and around the team, that strength of character and parental influence were the main cause of the exodus of players within the J/C program.

Coaches at the High School level put in extreme hours for the love of teaching young men about the game, and hoping that they learn about life in the process. A level playing field where the same rules apply to EVERYONE is all a parent of a student/athlete can ask for. The rest is up to the young man.

825716840[/snapback]

Good post! You are right on the money! So everyone, PLEASE stop going on and on about what's in the past. Get behind these players and coaches who have stuck it out and worked hard. They deserve our support as a community! If we can't do that, it doesn't speak very well of our community.

Wow, can`t everyone just feel the love in this thread?

While I agree that a school the size of JC should have more than 37 (not 33)players on the field I disagree that it's all on the coach.

I counted 33 players at the scrimmage with Knox Central last Tuesday, so thats were I got that number. 33 or 37 it doesn`t really matter, there aren`t near enough.

I know most of the Class of 05 and coached many of them so I dare say I know them pretty well and the ENITRE class does not reflect your feelings.
I`ve talked to at least 10 players from the 05 class, and they all felt the same way. From the way they talked it would seem to be a consensus among the the entire class

I don't know of a single player that didn't want to continue another week last year after the Bearden game unless they were not a starter.
The seniors on the team were crushed that the season didn`t continue, but not everyone on the team. After the season I was told by a STARTING junior that he was happy the season ended at Bearden. I`m not going to name his name on this board, but Jefferson Co fans should be able to figure out who it was since there weren`t that many juniors who started.

825716840[/snapback]

"Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil"--It is always the young men's or their parents' fault. I'm not so sure it worked that well at Oakland at the end either. Unfortunately, not all coaches do it for the love of the kids, just certain kids or certain kinds of kids. I know that some of these young men went against their parent's wishes in quitting while still wanting to play football--just not at JCHS but could not transfer like others.

Wow, can`t everyone just feel the love in this thread?

I counted 33 players at the scrimmage with Knox Central last Tuesday, so thats were I got that number. 33 or 37 it doesn`t really matter, there aren`t near enough.

I`ve talked to at least 10 players from the 05 class, and they all felt the same way. From the way they talked it would seem to be a consensus among the the entire class

The seniors on the team were crushed that the season didn`t continue, but not everyone on the team. After the season I was told by a STARTING junior that he was happy the season ended at Bearden. I`m not going to name his name on this board, but Jefferson Co fans should be able to figure out who it was since there weren`t that many juniors who started.

825717025[/snapback]

I also talked to several seniors and starters who wanted to keep on playing but only because they were into it at that point. Once it was over, the unvoiced frustrations of several came out by making comments like "I'm glad it's over." I don't think we should judge any senior or junior simply because it wasn't fun anymore. That's why most kids play football--it is a game. When it becomes simply unenjoyable with little encouragement, it's understandable why some do not want to continue. This style simply robbed the motivation or will to play of a number of players. A good coach understands that differing players are motivated in differing ways and is able to bring most players along for the ride.

Maybe you Jeff County Fans and Players and Coaches could set up a couple of Sessions with Dr. Bob Hartley, he does wonder's with, well, those in need. Call Carol at the front desk and ask her to try and schedule you away from Mr. Carlin, he REALLY HAS ISSUE'S. Tell Emily I said Hi (^_-).

RTR

GU

Edited by ArtVandalay

Back to what the Thread was all about:

1) Kingsport

2) Science Hill

3) Sevier Co.

4) Jefferson Co.

5) Campbell Co.

6) Karns

7) Bearden

Don't see anyone going undefeated in the Conferance this year!

825717303[/snapback]

I hope JCHS can finish ahead of CC but they have momentum from last year and we're absorbed in a soap opera. After studying things I've changed my predictions a little bit (not really! I'm just ready to get back to what the thread was about as well since I've said all I can say. The season's starting and it's time to support the young men on the field. Truth has a way of coming to the surface over time. We'll let time take over from here. I'm done.).

1. Kingsport (8-2)

2. Sevier County (7-3)

3. Science Hill (6-4)

4. Campbell County (6-4)

5. Jefferson County (3-7)

6. Bearden (3-7)

7. Karns (2-8)