MBA vs. Byrnes(SC)

TheBigRedDog

Ok, so I thought I'd start a new thread to talk about the big game tonight since the other thread is subtitled, "attendence".

Having taken RedTwin's suggestion, I perused the SC football site to see what the Rebels' fans were saying about the game. Almost across the board, they are giving us no chance in this game. They think that they are going to roll in here with a few thousand fans and dominate us. Well, that could very well happen, but that kind of talk reminds me of two years ago when the Trinity folks thought that Brohm and co. would come down here and take care of us. Hopefully, this game will have similar results. I must admit that the attitude of of some the Byrnes posters gets me pretty fired up and hopeully it will do the same to our players(although, I hope they aren't reading these boards). My hope is that the big road trip will be distracting for the Byrnes kids and they'll come in less focused and the Big Red can take advantage. Looking back on recent big out of state series for MBA, the home team has had the advantage...

MBA vs. Bolles(FL)- MBA wins at home, then looses at Bolles the next year...same story with the Trinity series.

As for this game, MBA will have to play their very best to win. This Byrnes team looks scary from what I've seen on paper. They are big, fast, and athletic. The QB and receivers look incredibly talented. It also sounds like they like to throw it a ton. Our DB's better be ready. As usual, our defense will be looked to to lead the way.

Byrnes' O-line dosen't appear to big overly huge, so hopefully our quick d-lineman and LB's will be able to get pressure on the QB. Also, as usual, MBA must play their typical disciplined, smart(and hopefully mistake free) style of football. I have confidence that Coach Rutledge will have the guys ready. Should be a good one.

Roll Red!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

this has to be, on paper, the most talented team MBA has played...maybe ever. Maybe the 1995-1996 BA teams would be up there, but honestly, I don't think Trinity and Bolles are in the same class with these guys. Win or lose, my hat is off to Coach Rutlege and the Byrnes folks for playing this game tonight.

Let's get 'em!!! Roll Red!

Big Red Dog-

If you want to dig into your history book further, in 1990 defending KY state champions Warren Central rolled into town for the first of 3 meetings between the two schools...long story short, heavy underdog MBA, playing against several D1 signees while having none of our own, began the season with an OT win.

To to echo your point, we have a solid history facing out of state teams at the beginning of the year...

I've read the SC boards as well. A lot of lip, to say the least. That's fine with me -Byrnes looks to have a powerful team and it appears that they have the ability to backup their smack talk. The fans (at least the posters on the site) are also fairly disrespectful as a whole of an MBA program which, quite frankly, has done much more in the history of Southeast football than Byrnes has ever done. All-time winning percenatge, all-time wins, etc. heavily favor MBA - not that this matters at all in this particular matchup, but it doesn't say much for their fans to disrespect a program that commands a lot of respect in the state and around this region of the country.

I don't like losing, but I can handle any loss when it comes at the hands of a team that carries itself with class and respect. The Trinity fans were humble and complimentary after losing to MBA in 2003, and equally as humble as complimentary after returning the favor in 2004 - a truly class program. As for tonight, I certainly hope a loss is not in store tonight for my Big Red, but if so, I'm anxious to see if the Byrnes team and coaches carry themselves like many of their fans on the SC boards do. Let's hope not.

Get ready, Big Red - a big task ahead of you tonight, and more power to you for sticking your reputation out there against an extremely quality opponent.

MBA Alumnus, I remember some of those great Warren Central games, although they were a little before my time on the varsity....another great example of a smaller, less athletic MBA team getting after it against a highly favored opponent. I remember a game around '91 or '92 when Coach Owen took the boys down to Cleveland, who were the defending state champs, and the Cleveland folks called MBA, "little boys in big pads". MBA pulled the upset.

RollRedRoll, I couldn't agree with you more about the comments from the Brynes people...not showing much class. That kind of talk tells you something about their fans. There was more trash talk on the SC boards than I have ever seen on CoachT...makes me appreciate CoachT and the way everyone, for the most part, is cordial and keeps that kind of talk to a relative minimum.

Anyway, hopefully, the Big Red will hit 'em in the mouth and make it a long trip home to South Carolina.