Super 32 Challenge "Battle for the Belt"

Super32

New venue for 2005!

Here is some info about one of the most competitive pre-season tournament around.

October 29

Greensboro(NC) Coliseum Special Events Center

20 mats

Middle/High School Division

2-1-1 championship periods

Each champion in the high division will receive a custom championship belt!

The 2004 Super 32 Challenge featured 77 State Champions, 36 State Runners-Up, 80 State Placers (3rd-6th), and 125 State Qualifiers from 16 states.

We expect 1,000+ entries this year, with roughly 800 of those being high school.

Here is a list of last years champions.

103 - Scotti Sentes (Riverdale, FL)

112 Ian Moser (Caesar Rodney, DE)

119 Bryan LaShomb (Great Bridge, VA)

125 Jordan Frishkorn (Great Bridge, VA)

130 Nick Murray (Bound Brook, NJ)

135 Nate Nauroth (Quakertown, PA)

140 Ashtin Primus (Connellsville, PA)

145 Junior Pearman (Great Bridge, VA)

152 Chris Brown (Great Bridge, VA)

160 Andrew Flanagan (Bound Brook, NJ)

171 JJ Davis (Byrnes, SC)

189 Patrick Bond (Great Bridge, VA)

215 Cody Gardner (Christiansburg)

HWT Kenny Lester (Oviedo, FL)

Registration begins in Mid-Sept online at www.super32.com

For more info you can email me at dave@ncmat.orgbelt1.jpg

New venue for 2005!

Here is some info about one of the most competitive pre-season tournament around.

October 29

Greensboro(NC) Coliseum Special Events Center

20 mats

Middle/High School Division

2-1-1 championship periods

Each champion in the high division will receive a custom championship belt!

The 2004 Super 32 Challenge featured 77 State Champions, 36 State Runners-Up, 80 State Placers (3rd-6th), and 125 State Qualifiers from 16 states.

We expect 1,000+ entries this year, with roughly 800 of those being high school.

Here is a list of last years champions.

103 - Scotti Sentes (Riverdale, FL)

112 Ian Moser (Caesar Rodney, DE)

119 Bryan LaShomb (Great Bridge, VA)

125 Jordan Frishkorn (Great Bridge, VA)

130 Nick Murray (Bound Brook, NJ)

135 Nate Nauroth (Quakertown, PA)

140 Ashtin Primus (Connellsville, PA)

145 Junior Pearman (Great Bridge, VA)

152 Chris Brown (Great Bridge, VA)

160 Andrew Flanagan (Bound Brook, NJ)

171 JJ Davis (Byrnes, SC)

189 Patrick Bond (Great Bridge, VA)

215 Cody Gardner (Christiansburg)

HWT Kenny Lester (Oviedo, FL)

Registration begins in Mid-Sept online at www.super32.com

For more info you can email me at dave@ncmat.orgbelt1.jpg

825732560[/snapback]

Were all the wrestlers (5 of them) from Great Bridge, all from the same High School?

Were all the wrestlers (5 of them) from Great Bridge, all from the same High School?

825734400[/snapback]

I know LaShomb, Frishkorn and Bond are all from Great Bridge HS and I am pretty darn sure about Brown and Pearman too.

Tex I am surprised at your question. I would have figured that a wrestling guy like you from such a perennial powerhouse like Bradley would know about nationally ranked and powerhouse school Great Bridge over in the Chesapeake region of Vriginia... also of note the 215lb champ from Christianburg is also from that area. I think the schools are in very close vicinity to one another with C'burg being a AA school and GB being a AAA school. Hope that helps.

Edited by WrestleSBA

I know LaShomb, Frishkorn and Bond are all from Great Bridge HS and I am pretty darn sure about Brown and Pearman too.

Tex I am surprised at your question.  I would have figured that a wrestling guy like you from such a perennial powerhouse like Bradley would know about nationally ranked and powerhouse school Great Bridge over in the Chesapeake region of Vriginia... also of note the 215lb champ from Christianburg is also from that area.  I think the schools are in very close vicinity to one another with C'burg being a AA school and GB being a AAA school.  Hope that helps.

825734456[/snapback]

LOL...you give me too much credit. I will tell you that I have been to the High School in Great Bridge, but I was not sure since it had been so long, if there were another high school located there. For reference, I lived in and around the Hampton Roads area in the late 80's and early 90's. That area has always been powerhouse packed. Granby is located right there in Norfolk as well.

LOL...you give me too much credit.  I will tell you that I have been to the High School in Great Bridge, but I was not sure since it had been so long, if there were another high school located there.  For reference, I lived in and around the Hampton Roads area in the late 80's and early 90's.  That area has always been powerhouse packed.  Granby is located right there in Norfolk as well.

825734467[/snapback]

Indeed it is much of the original "Granby" style of wrestling that has slowly crept its way into Great Bridge over the years and they certianly use that system to its fullest, as do many of the schools in that are like Christiansburg. I think it is really becoming a staple of Virginia wrestling at nearly all schools but is being personified by the Breat Bridge's and Christiansburg's...

And Tex I think you have proved time and time again that your wrestling knowledge is pretty good so I don't think I was giving you too much credit, maybe I just tried to over-extend your reach :D .

Edited by WrestleSBA

Actually, While Great Bridge (and Granby) are indeed in the Hampton Roads area, Christiansburg is completely on the west side of the state 20 minutes from Blacksburg and VA tech.

the schools have another connection, though....The University of Iowa. Former GB head coach (in his 2nd year at Old Dominion Univ.) Steve Martin wrestled for the Hawkeyes, (the only reason you didn't hear about him then was that he shared weights with a guy named Terry Brands) and C-Burg's Coaches Kevin Dresser (as well as assistant Daryl Weber) were All-Americans during the Gable years.

Christiansburg has AMAZING fan support--they take up a full Quarter of the Salem Civic center during States. if I had to compare it, I'd say put Bradley AND Clarksville together.

there are actually some questions around VA about C-burg's "amazing luck with Transfer students".....so to speak. but, I guess 4 Championships in the 4 Years that Dresser has been there will do that sort of thing.

Actually, While Great Bridge (and Granby) are indeed in the Hampton Roads area, Christiansburg is completely on the west side of the state 20 minutes from Blacksburg and VA tech.

the schools have another connection, though....The University of Iowa.  Former GB head coach (in his 2nd year at Old Dominion Univ.) Steve Martin wrestled for the Hawkeyes, (the only reason you didn't hear about him then was that he shared weights with a guy named Terry Brands)  and C-Burg's Coaches Kevin Dresser (as well as assistant Daryl Weber)  were All-Americans during the Gable years. 

Christiansburg has AMAZING fan support--they take up a full Quarter of the Salem Civic center during States. if I had to compare it, I'd say put Bradley AND Clarksville together.

there are actually some questions around VA about C-burg's "amazing luck with Transfer students".....so to speak. but, I guess 4 Championships in the 4 Years that Dresser has been there will do that sort of thing.

825736326[/snapback]

HBK,

You are right on Christiansburg. Their fan support is nuts... I definitely know all about the Martins and their run there. Was it not also Steve's brother that took over the program and helped keep GB alive and indeed thriving while Steve took a job in the school administration or something. I will add in another little connection for you, lets see how well versed in the current state of TN wrestling the CoachT wrestling fans are. Someone tell me which coach (not necessarily a head coach) at which TN college has direct ties to Great Bridge and the Martins... you get my respect if you can find this one out and a whole lot if you know it on your own.

HBK,

You are right on Christiansburg.  Their fan support is nuts... I definitely know all about the Martins and their run there.  Was it not also Steve's brother that took over the program and helped keep GB alive and indeed thriving while Steve took a job in the school administration or something.  I will add in another little connection for you, lets see how well versed in the current state of TN wrestling the CoachT wrestling fans are.  Someone tell me which coach (not necessarily a head coach) at which TN college has direct ties to Great Bridge and the Martins... you get my respect if you can find this one out and a whole lot if you know it on your own.

825736550[/snapback]

WOW......I actually had to look this up, I'll admit it. I'll PM you with my email.....you have Gotta have some kinda VA info that (as a newly hired Head Coach out here) I want.

the name you want is John Young, an assistant at Cumberland. wrestled under Martin at GB, placing 6th in 1996.

So anyone interested?? =)

Not only were Dresser and Weber AA's, they were NCAA Champions. Besides Bishop Lynch(TX) with Kenny Monday and Kendall Cross, you aren't going to find two more accomplished coaches.

Great Bridge brings about their whole entire team from starters to JV's along with MS'ers. Christiansburg brings almost as many. Oviedo(FL) another nationally ranked team usually brings a good number(including the possibly #1 HWT Kenny Lester). And a newbie for this year, Brandon(FL) will be bringing 10-15 kids.

It is possible we could have at least 4 #1 ranked guys here.

Jordan Frishkorn(GB), David Craig(Brandon), Cody Gardner(Christiansburg), and Kenny Lester(Oviedo). Again, not sure if they are coming but all but Craig have been here the last 2 years.