HS Rules are Perplexing

divepix

Some HS rules make no sense to me. Does anyone know the TSSAA rationale for these crazy rules?

1. Why no kickoff returns from end zone?

2. Why no penalty for missing a long FG? There is no decision making on the part of the offense (punt vs. FG) because a missed FG always puts ball on the 20. They have completely taken the pooch punt out of the game.

IMHO, these HS rules are silly and serve no purpose.

Some HS rules make no sense to me. Does anyone know the TSSAA rationale for these crazy rules?

1. Why no kickoff returns from end zone?

2. Why no penalty for missing a long FG? There is no decision making on the part of the offense (punt vs. FG) because a missed FG always puts ball on the 20. They have completely taken the pooch punt out of the game.

IMHO, these HS rules are silly and serve no purpose.

825746254[/snapback]

1 - safety and decision making ability of high school kids. T

2 - not to deter field goal tries at the high school level.

IMHO both of these (and there are many other rule differences between

high school and high levels as well) rule differences serve a useful purpose.

Why no penalty for missing a long FG? There is no decision making on the part of the offense (punt vs. FG) because a missed FG always puts ball on the 20. They have completely taken the pooch punt out of the game.

825746254[/snapback]

If I understand HS rules correctly, a FG attempt is considered a scrimmage kick (like a punt). If the FG is unsuccessful but makes it to the end zone (on the fly or after a roll), it's a touchback. Otherwise, it's a live ball. The defense can return the ball. If it goes out of bounds, the ball is spotted at the point where it went out of bounds and the defense takes over on offense (similarly, if it rolls dead in bounds, the defense takes over at the point where the ball went dead).

Perhaps this interpretation is incorrect, but it makes sense. I highly doubt that every missed FG attempt places the ball at the defense's 20 yard line; otherwise, offenses backed up on, say, their own five yard line on fourth down would attempt a FG every time and get the advantage of having the ball moved 75 yards downfield (although I have seen some teams line up for unrealistic FG attempts because their place kicker was better than their punter).

Edited by rollredroll

The high school rules on field goals have not been changed. In fact, the rule used to be the same at all levles of play. The college and pro rules were changed several years ago because it was felt that too many field goals wre being kicked form long distance. With more risk involved with a missed attempt it was felt that teams would be less likly to attempt very long filed goals. The rules were changed in the '80s I believe.

Edited by CHHS72

1 - safety and decision making ability of high school kids.  T

2 - not to deter field goal tries at the high school level.

IMHO both of these (and there are many other rule differences between

high school and high levels as well) rule differences serve a useful purpose.

825746264[/snapback]

Thanks for the responses. I still don't agree with the reasoning.

What proof has their ever been that returning a kickoff from the end zone is more dangerous safety-wise than returning one from the 1 yard line? As far as decision making goes, there are hundreds of decisions players have to make every game. Why is this one being eliminated?

I had forgotten the HS missed field goal rule was the college rule at one time. Thanks for reminding me. But a coach will not choose a FG over a punt unless he thinks he can make it. I still don't see the reasoning of the rule. At CPA, Coach Pack used to kick FG's out of bounds on purpose rather than punting when he knew we couldn't make the FG. I don't blame him - it is a smart play, but that is what the rule encourages, rather than teaching a punter how to pooch punt.