BA vs. Ensworth

Eagles09

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, Now Eagles09 are you blaming the refs for a loss. Something like that could never happen, what happend did they mismange the clock/horn. :D

thats in the past...we have other teams to prepare for..as i've said before obviously you weren't at the game...and what school do you go to?

Edited by Eagles09

Why is this game even being played as a "varsity" game? Did BA have to schedule this game at the last minute or something?

This was a last minute replacement to fill an empty spot

created by cancellation of the Mississippi game (due to hurricane Katrina).

Edited by jek

This was a last minute replacement to fill an empty spot

created by cancellation of the Mississippi game (due to hurricane Katrina).

This may sound like an odd question, but if this counts as a varsity game for Brentwood Academy, does Ensworth have to count it as a varsity game? I really don't care how the TSSAA sees it (or if they even weigh in on the matter), but I hope there is some consistency out there. If BA and/or C. Flatt wants to count the game as (and probable outcome of) a win (in terms of adding it to school and personal records), then I would think Ensworth and Ricky Bowers would have to count the game as a "real" game (and likely a loss). I know records are just numbers on paper, but there is pride behind numbers, and I don't know why Ensworth and Ricky would want to have to be accountable for, stats-wise, what seems like a likely loss on paper with only freshmen and sophomores.

Does anybody know if the TSSAA makes a ruling on a matter like this?

Edited by rollredroll

This may sound like an odd question, but if this counts as a varsity game for Brentwood Academy, does Ensworth have to count it as a varsity game? I really don't care how the TSSAA sees it (or if they even weigh in on the matter), but I hope there is some consistency out there. If BA and/or C. Flatt wants to count the game as (and probable outcome of) a win (in terms of adding it to school and personal records), then I would think Ensworth and Ricky Bowers would have to count the game as a "real" game (and likely a loss). I know records are just numbers on paper, but there is pride behind numbers, and I don't know why Ensworth and Ricky would want to have to be accountable for, stats-wise, what seems like a likely loss on paper with only freshmen and sophomores.

Does anybody know if the TSSAA makes a ruling on a matter like this?

My understanding is that the game is a varsity game for both schools.

For that reason, the first team will start on the field but not be there

for long. The second and third teams have already been told that

they will see most of the action.

Also, this game will be somewhat similar to the game with Independence

last year. The starters appeared for a few series and the second and

third team players finished the game. Coach Flatt and BA have no

desire to embarrass Coach Bowers or Ensworth. They were gracious

enough to put the game on the schedule and there is certainly no

reason to abuse the situation.

Edited by jek

That might take the cake as the biggest load of bull I have ever heard. It would be like me saying, "It's a miracle MBA has ever beaten BA, with their rigorous academic classes and demanding entrance requirements. We're lucky to win any games." BA is the winningest program in TN history, and we're supposed to wonder how such small school has ever been able to beat a massive institution like MBA, which has trees that grow quarterbacks and a linebacker factory in the basement? Puh-lease... BA dominated at the 5A level, which is much larger than MBA's enrollment. The reason that those MBA teams beat BA was because they were better on the field, not because of their enrollment advantage. Besides, BA plays up because they want to, as did MBA before the split (They still do if their enrollment isn't doubled), so the can't use that as an excuse when they lose. I'm glad to know that is the sentiment out in Brentwood though. I'm sure they'll be very considerate of little old Ensworth's feelings this weekend. After all, how could they ever compete with a bigger school like BA?

By the way, I don't think Coach Bowers has coached against Coach Flatt 9 times head to head

It may seem like a load of bull to you for a simple reason. You don't have a clue. You just believe what you hear, but when it comes down to it - you don't know. Just like you don't know how many times Coach Flatt and Coach Bowers have gone head to head (NINE - look it up). BA has demanding entry requirements. Not as demanding as MBA or as it used to be, anyway. I have "heard" (see, I don't know for sure so I will not act like I do) that it is much easier to get in to MBA these days with Ensworth snapping up many of your usual customers (and it will get worse).

no arrogance intended, as I know plenty of BA grads plenty smarter than me. According to several BA-alum friends of mine, the school made some liberal admissions decisions regarding players on those teams that raised a few eyebrows (and ruffled a few feathers). I would doubt they did it much at all before or afterwards, but I don't doubt they did it for that team. Not saying MBA hasn't done similar things either, and not saying those kids didn't mesh with the school's mission once there. But if our size was an advantage during RB's match-ups with CF, then surely CF had some advantages of his own.

I certainly can't speak for things that happened years ago, and I agree with your take that BA and MBA are on equal footing as far as the so-called "advantages".

Sorry if I came off a bit too defensive. I just always have felt that we folks who support the independent schools should be supportive of one another.

Thanks.

...and by the way, I have never heard a BA player who actually plays blame any loss on the refs, including last week. McCallie was the better team that night, plain and simple.

Edited by itzme

Just like you don't know how many times Coach Flatt and Coach Bowers have gone head to head (NINE - look it up).

I'm pretty sure it's not nine times.

MBA and BA have played 14 times (MBA leads 9-5). Coach Rutledge has been MBA's coach for five of those games (3-2, MBA), so that leaves 9 games. If memory serves, Tom Moore was head coach at BA for the 1999, 2000, and 2001 seasons (MBA went 4-0 in that stretch with Ricky Bowers at the helm). So that leaves five games (1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 twice), in which Flatt would have been 3-2 versus Ricky Bowers.

thats in the past...we have other teams to prepare for..as i've said before obviously you weren't at the game...and what school do you go to?

does it matter what school someone goes to? they can judge for themselves what occured in a game, a win is a win and a loss is a loss.. refs have nothing to do with it, apparently (just JUDGING from a score, i believe it was 21-7 in favor of BA at one point) BA should not have even allowed MS back in to the game.

and if it matters, i went to MUS :blink: