Crossing the line!

coachsmith81

It was a matter of principals. No , that is not a missed spelled word. Coaching is hard enough without having to worry about administrative support. So I told them to take this job and shove it. I don't have to be a head coach to have fun coaching. Also, next year I plan on being a head coach again.

...by the way...you misspelled misspelled... :thumb:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a matter of principals. No , that is not a missed spelled word. Coaching is hard enough without having to worry about administrative support. So I told them to take this job and shove it. I don't have to be a head coach to have fun coaching. Also, next year I plan on being a head coach again.

runtheball, like the new name. one thing i will say is that i have seen the two sides of administration at antioch and at the present time i dont believe we could ask for any better. i am not sure that josh really needs to post so much. but josh even though this was not originally intended for you know that one of your former coaches at antioch is proud of the point in life you have reached.

Edited by moonwink

Josh,

I feel the same way. It breaks my heart to see our alma mater squander so much athletic ability. There are coaches all over the midstate who would love to have that talent pool to draw from. Maybe one day you can be the guy to get that program on the right track. They've had top 5 talent the past three years and have not much but disappointment to show for it. The current coach over there is a big boy and he gets paid a stipend to hear concerns about his program. He does not deserve to be attacked personally, but his ability to take great talent and make them average is inmistakable. They ought to luck into 20 ppg just on raw athleticism. But he wants to line up in the I and run poor Preston until he can't physically take it anymore. I'd come over for free in the spring and teach some of the fundamentals of the passing game to the guy if he would ask. Heck, you can line up in 3 and 4 wide and still run it. Just get all of those guys out of the box and help your RB. Congrats on what is going on over on Bell Road with the Eagles program and keep up the good work. I'll be a LA (Lower Antioch for all you lames, LOL) boy forever too, but that don't mean we have to like what is going on over there.

first, you can't honestly think they need your help with passing the ball...econdly, you obviously haven't seen their QB this year if you want them to go 4 wide...and the one before him wasn't a whole lot better.

runtheball, like the new name. one thing i will say is that i have seen the two sides of administration at antioch and at the present time i dont believe we could ask for any better. i am not sure that josh really needs to post so much. but josh even though this was not originally intended for you know that one of your former coaches at antioch is proud of the point in life you have reached.

moonwink? .... cute name ..... what are you the cheerleading sponsor?

first, you can't honestly think they need your help with passing the ball...econdly, you obviously haven't seen their QB this year if you want them to go 4 wide...and the one before him wasn't a whole lot better.

LOL, I've seen the kid twice and I concur that going three and four wide with him would be counter productive. However, if I was the coach, he wouldn't be playing QB. In a school of over 2,500 kids, you can't tell me that you can't find 2-3 kids that can flat throw the football.

Oh, and trust me, I'm way more qualified than you think on helping them throw and catch the football better. I just make way too much money doing what I do for a living right now to devote time to it. I'd love to be an offensive coordinator at the high school level with the talent a Smyrna (I think Shad does a good job of being diverse offensively), Antioch or Hunters Lane has. I've learned football from some pretty darn good coaches with different styles like Larry Fedora, Joe Wickline, Scott Smith, Alvin Jones, and Buddy Brown. I'm not one of these fly by night posters that just post on what they want to see and couldn't tell the difference between zero coverage and a Cover 3.

Edited by McNine4MVP

LOL, I've seen the kid twice and I concur that going three and four wide with him would be counter productive. However, if I was the coach, he wouldn't be playing QB. In a school of over 2,500 kids, you can't tell me that you can't find 2-3 kids that can flat throw the football.

Oh, and trust me, I'm way more qualified than you think on helping them throw and catch the football better. I just make way too much money doing what I do for a living right now to devote time to it. I'd love to be an offensive coordinator at the high school level with the talent a Smyrna (I think Shad does a good job of being diverse offensively), Antioch or Hunters Lane has. I've learned football from some pretty darn good coaches with different styles like Larry Fedora, Joe Wickline, Scott Smith, Alvin Jones, and Buddy Brown. I'm not one of these fly by night posters that just post on what they want to see and couldn't tell the difference between zero coverage and a Cover 3.

I didn't say you couldn't help...I said you can't think they NEED you to explain the fundamentals of the passing game. My guess is that if that's the kid they are playing at QB he is the best they have...why would they play him if there are kids on the team that can "flat throw the ball"? :thumb: By the way, all good coaches you named but if you learned from Alvin and Buddy then you learned to run the ball not go 4 and 5 wide.

Thanks for the English\Spelling lesson. I told you I went to Antioch. I do think you need to runtheball, but you have to be able to pass. I'm a better coach now because of being able to see another side of coaching from working with three other coaches. Also playing against teams that throw alot and studying them. Also I have spent alot of time in Alabama with a very successful high school that runs a no huddle run\pass offense from a 4-5 wide sets. I think this is also great sets to run from, 3-4 wide sets. But I still think option football is very hard to defend. Always a Bear. Thank God for allowing me to do this and having known Warren Dunn.

Edited by runtheball

I didn't say you couldn't help...I said you can't think they NEED you to explain the fundamentals of the passing game. My guess is that if that's the kid they are playing at QB he is the best they have...why would they play him if there are kids on the team that can "flat throw the ball"? :thumb: By the way, all good coaches you named but if you learned from Alvin and Buddy then you learned to run the ball not go 4 and 5 wide.

LOL, no doubt about Alvin and Buddy. I did clarify about learning from guys that had different styles and MO's. Alvin was certainly of the Woody Hayes/Warren Dunn school of three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad, LOL. Buddy wasn't near as pig headed about it, but was brought up on those same Dunn principles. I love both of those guys to death and owe them a lot in teaching me how to become a man, not just a football player. Alvin and Scott are as different as the day is long, but they are both good football coaches. Just proves that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Trivia question, who were the other three finalists for the Antioch job that Buddy Brown got after Terry Anderson left to go to Johnny O before the 1994 season?? It's a pretty impressive who's who list.

Thanks for the English\Spelling lesson. I told you I went to Antioch. I do think you need to runtheball, but you have to be able to pass. I'm a better coach now because of being able to see another side of coaching from working with three other coaches. Also playing against teams that throw alot and studying them. Also I have spent alot of time in Alabama with a very successful high school that runs a no huddle run\pass offense from a 4-5 wide sets. I think this is also great sets to run from, 3-4 wide sets. But I still think option football is very hard to defend. Always a Bear. Thank God for allowing me to do this and having known Warren Dunn.

You didn't answer my question about your opinion of the current staff.

LOL, no doubt about Alvin and Buddy. I did clarify about learning from guys that had different styles and MO's. Alvin was certainly of the Woody Hayes/Warren Dunn school of three things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad, LOL. Buddy wasn't near as pig headed about it, but was brought up on those same Dunn principles. I love both of those guys to death and owe them a lot in teaching me how to become a man, not just a football player. Alvin and Scott are as different as the day is long, but they are both good football coaches. Just proves that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Trivia question, who were the other three finalists for the Antioch job that Buddy Brown got after Terry Anderson left to go to Johnny O before the 1994 season?? It's a pretty impressive who's who list.

I'd guess Ron A. would be one of them...maybe Richard C...you got me on that one...by the way ...who do you think runtheball is? :thumb:

Let me clean this up too. I did not say that these kids that could flat throw the ball were already on the team. I said that there was a high probability of these guys roaming the halls over there on 1900 Hobson Pike. And if I was over there, I would be the rock turner to find these diamonds. I have been watching Antioch football since the Shawn Malone, Gary Hockett, Quentin Arnold days in the mid-1980's and that has been the problem over there at Antioch since the early 1990's. Lots of great athletes, not many of them playing or being utilized properly. As much as I love Buddy, that marred a few of his years over there in the Blue Hole/Early Hobson Pike years. They had a lot of position talent then with the Eric Hazzard (bless his soul), Jay Gilmore, Chris Smith, James Jackson, John Woelk, Josh Waller, CJ Smith, Leon McGregor, Demetric Coleman groups from 1995-1999, but couldn't get it all put together. They finally started having success in the late 1990's, but they didn't have a QB as good as Jay or Chris, who was one of the most underutilized players in AHS history. I played ball with him through junior pro all the way through junior high and HS and kinda thought he got a raw deal at AHS. If either one of them was there in 1998 (they both graduated in 1997), that team goes a long way in the playoffs that year. Speaking of those two cats, it is amazing how good they are doing in life now. Not really surprised at Chris' success (his daddy was tough), but Jay is Mr. Sports Anchorman now in Huntsville........he's come a long way. The lack of administrative support by Sharon Anthony didn't help him either. A lot of kids will not put in that time or effort that it takes to be a really good football player if they feel like their talents will never get used. That may be a sad commentary on society, but this isn't the 1960's either. Kids have plenty of things to do today, good and bad, and a 6'2" 180lb kid that runs a sub-4.5 isn't going to be near as inclined to play WR for a team that throws it twice a game. Anyways, if anybody wants to talk Antioch football between about 1985 and 2000, I'm your guy. I saw the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!!