Liberty High School Playday

baseballa28

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Station varsity also barely beat Liberty JV...

I left while Siegle Varsity was playing Liberty JV...

My thoughts:

For having many of the top teams in the State of Tennessee, I was very unimpressed with the level of play. Definitely some great individual talent, but very few good "teams", and none of which I think could compete with the White Station 3-peat teams...

AAA

Siegel is now my favorite to win Class AAA crown. They have great chemistry, and an outstanding combination of guard play, frontcourt play, and the will to win. Jimmy Oden (though I wish he would get rid of the attitude) played very well, and will be the catalyst of this team. Tyler Cutter was also very impressive, and should be the fifth starter once Ramsey is back. With Ramsey, this team has a chance to win it all...

Hamilton has a lot of talent, and Coach Lawson certainly has them playing hard, but there is no chemistry between the guards and forwards. High Major F Jeremy Williams in fact rarely touched the ball offensively. Jay Watkins did not play very well, and Broderick Gilchrist looks a tad overrated. Myron Strong is a stud, but could use his penetration to create for others more often. Hagler and Hunter are very solid Small Forwards, but neither seems to shoot it very well. This team is talented, but is a long ways from getting to where they need to be...

White Station--wow, how the mighty have fallen. This team is a shell of its former self, and really seemed to struggle. One surprise was the play of G Jordan Miller, whom I really feel is going to be a sleeper. G Deandre Bynum was average, on a team that needs him to do more. This is a young team, however, so next year looks a lot brighter. Watch for Soph PG Erik Buggs as well...

AA

Mitchell was far and away the most frustrating team in attendance. BY FAR the most talented team in attendance, they literally sleep-walked through the Siegel game: No emotion, no team ball, no defense, no intensity. They turned it around the second game and played lights out, but still only won by 3. This team, who I thought could be the best in the state, may be too inconsistent to truly win a state title. In addition, the guard play was surprisingly poor for Mitchell (though their starting Pg was not there). The pieces are there in all areas: it's just whether or not they'll put them together to win it all...

Liberty Tech has a lot of question marks, but still showed that they are going to be very, very good. PG play was weak, as was post play and rebounding, but the depth of athletes on the wing and combo forwards (Evans, Long, Long, Sain, Jones) will carry them a long way. Williams does a great job with this bunch, and help could be on the way in some areas, with JV players B.Jones, C.Holt, and #55. There may not be a better guard combo in the state than Brandon Evans and Juwon Long. Long was very, very impressive...

Covington--did not see them. Coach B will do a great job there, though...

Player seedings based primarily on play on Sat:

Top Seniors:

1) Thaddeus Young

2) Jeremy Williams

3) Brandon Evans

4) Jimmy Oden

5) Jay Watkins

6) Lucas Jones

7) Brandon Powell

8) Darius Roper

9) Paul Hagler

Top Juniors:

1) Juwon Long

2) Myron Strong

3) Josh Sain

4) Jordan Miller

5) Devon Jones

Top Sophomores:

1) Jarvis Jones

2) Tyler Cutter

3) Charles Holt

4) Erik Buggs

I know that Liberty started their JV and Siegel wasn't too happy about that and pretty much tanked it from the get-go...I was also told they put in JV at some point and they stayed in the rest of the game.

Gomab...the more you watch Jimmy the more you will learn thats just the way he is but thats also how he motivates himself. He does alot more extra-curricular stuff in the play-days and scrimmages than he does in the game....I saw some things last week that I know he wouldn't do in a game.

Gomab2 - I agree with your comments about Tyler Cutter. Do you have Jarvis Jones ahead of Cutter because of his reputation or his play on Saturday? I didn't see Jarvis Jones do that much, although he does have a very nice looking jump shot. On the other hand, Cutter lit it up against Hamilton and played a great floor game against Mitchell. He had a lot of rebounds for a 5'11" guard.

How does Cutter rank in the Class of 2008 statewide?

Harris'... I have seen Jimmy play for years, and there is no cop-outs about it: he has a bad attitude. That is not to take away from how well he played today, but routinely threw cheep shots, especially in the Hamilton game. Again, I was impressed with his play, but would be much more so if he would shed the baggage...

Believe me I have seen the bad attitude before...I'm just saying gotta take the good with the bad with him because thats just the way he is and the way he plays. I'm not sure if it was the Hamilton game but I heard at one game, a brawl just about broke out from the physical play and trash talking..what game was that?

Believe me I have seen the bad attitude before...I'm just saying gotta take the good with the bad with him because thats just the way he is and the way he plays. I'm not sure if it was the Hamilton game but I heard at one game, a brawl just about broke out from the physical play and trash talking..what game was that?

It was the Hamilton game, Darius Roper and another player were close to throwing punches, Jimmy Oden doesn't like it when people mess with his teammates

Gomab2 - I agree with your comments about Tyler Cutter. Do you have Jarvis Jones ahead of Cutter because of his reputation or his play on Saturday? I didn't see Jarvis Jones do that much, although he does have a very nice looking jump shot. On the other hand, Cutter lit it up against Hamilton and played a great floor game against Mitchell. He had a lot of rebounds for a 5'11" guard.

How does Cutter rank in the Class of 2008 statewide?

somebody who knows please answer this question... cutter's my boy

Speakin of the Siegel team..the players you mentioned were

#33 Lucas Jones Sr.

#20 Jimmy Oden Sr.

#10 Tyler Cutter Soph.

The word I got from Tyler Cutter after the Hamilton game was that the absence of Ramsey was alot more noticable in that game than the Mitchell game. They killed us on the boards is actually what I was told. Thankfully Ramsey's injury is only minor and he will be back up and ready to go in a week or two.