Oneida

Image05

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Image05, I'm not sure you've got all your eggs in a nest. Yes, personnel on the floor is important, but not nearly as important as the players functioning as a single cohesive unit. Ones bench is extremely crucial to the teams success. I remember a team that was as talented a starting five as I've seen in single A, but they had absolutely no depth. The only realistic chance of beating them was getting to their bench. Anyway, the point is all parts of the unit are important, although the trend seems to be that the starters are the only parts that count. That, my friend, is a mistake. I also believe its easy to be out-coached even if you push all the right buttons. Bobby Knight is only as good as the players he has at his disposal. Oh, he'll win a few games he's not supposed to, but thats what seperates great coaches from average ones. I don't think you know the right way to coach, until you've tried it, 05!

:P Kaz :thumb:

Ok, I agree with several things that several different people have said. Wartburg is definetly the favorite. Oliver Springs is going to be tough, and Coalfield may surprise some people. Now back to the topic at hand. Oneida has got some athletes on this years team such as Lambert, Crowley, and Jacobs that are going to have to have a big year. There are a few others that should contribute as well. Another thing that I agree with is Oneida is going to have to play a slower game than most because they are not very deep and if they try to run, the score might not be very close. I know this team pretty well and I know what they can and can't do. Some shoot a little to much and some don't shoot enough. Some dribble a little to much and some don't dribble enough. They do need to figure out what they do best and use that to contribute to the team. For example look at the Detroit Pistons, Ben Wallace (rebounds) Prince (defense) Hamilton (scoring) Billups (point guard) and the rest of their team plays different roles. You do have to look at it from a Team standpoint and say what can I do to help my team Win. Because for Oneida fans, the W's are all they want. Have a good year, play hard, and Win for your team and fans.

Sorry there Kaz,....My point was they need to have the right people on the floor. The starters are a big part of that because you want to start the game out the right way. You also need to have a good bench, but with this team that is probably not going to happen. I was not trying to start anything just trying to make a point. Another thing is that they do need to play togethor as a team but with some of the ego's on the team that may be hard. That is what was wrong with last years team, they played for themselves not for the team. It was the same way with the parents. All they cared about was if lil' Johnny scored 20 points. All I am trying to get across is that you play for your team and your school and you do what it takes to win. Sometimes you have to put your ego aside to be successfull. This is just the thoughts of one person. And as Kaz would say......Image out!!

Image, I don't know of one coach who would intentionally put players on the floor in hopes they would not succeed. Or put them in postitions where they would not be beneficial to the entire team. Whether or not they produce positive results is up to the player. Coaches don't make shots, or miss them. They can put players in the right positions in hope to better the team. I would have thought you knew that...

And as for Benji Jacobs being the star... I don't think that is good to put that much pressure on him. Is he talented? Yes. Very. But let's not put expectations out there that has no means of attainment. What would be the level he has to reach to become the "star". How do you know when he achieves or fails? Instead, why not make him a bright spot on a team that can shine? It takes more than one to make a team, and Benji knows that above anyone.

The good thing about this team, is just that...it's a team. Not a public display of selfish attitude. There is no star. There are just players that out hustle, out work, and that will out play teams that take them for granted.

Image, I don't know of one coach who would intentionally put players on the floor in hopes they would not succeed. Or put them in postitions where they would not be beneficial to the entire team. Whether or not they produce positive results is up to the player. Coaches don't make shots, or miss them. They can put players in the right positions in hope to better the team. I would have thought you knew that...

And as for Benji Jacobs being the star... I don't think that is good to put that much pressure on him. Is he talented? Yes. Very. But let's not put expectations out there that has no means of attainment. What would be the level he has to reach to become the "star". How do you know when he achieves or fails? Instead, why not make him a bright spot on a team that can shine? It takes more than one to make a team, and Benji knows that above anyone.

The good thing about this team, is just that...it's a team. Not a public display of selfish attitude. There is no star. There are just players that out hustle, out work, and that will out play teams that take them for granted.

I just hope Benji can get healthy. He's a solid player and could be one of the best in the region if his knees can hold up....

The only thing I was doing was quoting what a person had stated earlier. I was not trying to put anybody on a pedestal, I was just agreeing with what was earlier stated....I have no beef with you threeball, you should know that (I guess you know who I am now) this whole thing has just been my opinion on what I have seen for sometime now. You played at Oneida and you know what is expected. And sometime just step back and look at it and you will see the selfishness that I am talking about. I played for a coach that did not care about the kids. All he cared about was how it made him look after the game was over with. I am not by any means saying that about Oneida's coach, just that I have seen it in adults and because of that it is easy to pick it out in kids.

Onieda is another team in east tn that will suprise those who think they have no one. sure the season could be like the football season, new coach lots of unknowns, but basketball is different any school is capable of comin up wit five reliable starters. Which is what i expect OHS to do.

What used to be the old Wynn High School in Campbell Co. Had two Marlow Brothers, Reese(Jackie?), Smith, and one other excellent post, but can't remenber his name. One time was ranked #1 or #2 in the state, Wartburg was also ranked then too! Anyway, that starting five was awesome, torched Oneida by +30 in the regular season. Went undefeated in the district, which had several good solid teams. (Oneida, Oakdale, and Wartburg all won 20 games that season)

:lol: Kaz :thumb: