Division 2 Prospects

Memwrestling11

That is a shame, Mtnrasslin. I know it did not match the intensity of Baylor-McCallie rivalry, but Baylor-ND had its own flavor because of the coaching history and other ties between the two schools. Since that rivalry now appears at an end, help me out with a little history. Did ND beat Baylor in wrestling when current longtime Baylor Shaack Van Duesen was the head coach at ND back in the early 70's? I'm pretty sure ND beat them when former ND state champ Yogi Anderson, who was an assistant with the Baylor program a few years back and whose son was a state champ at Baylor, was the head coach at ND following Shaack.

As hard as it is to imagine, I was young in those days and I am not able to answer your questions. There are others on this board who I am sure can though. I think I am correct in saying that Baylor, who was still in the Mid- South, won the dual match the year that ND won the state championship somewhere in this period. Schaack may have been the coach that year but I am not sure.

As for the intensity of these matches, I remember as a kid things almost getting out of control in the ND gym when a guy named White was DQ'ed in an important match when he bit Randy Weinberg from Baylor as Weinberg was pinning him. It wasn't quite Baylor/ McCallie but there were some dandy matches back then.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As hard as it is to imagine, I was young in those days and I am not able to answer your questions. There are others on this board who I am sure can though. I think I am correct in saying that Baylor, who was still in the Mid- South, won the dual match the year that ND won the state championship somewhere in this period. Schaack may have been the coach that year but I am not sure.

As for the intensity of these matches, I remember as a kid things almost getting out of control in the ND gym when a guy named White was DQ'ed in an important match when he bit Randy Weinberg from Baylor as Weinberg was pinning him. It wasn't quite Baylor/ McCallie but there were some dandy matches back then.

In 1968, ND won the state in Nashville---------Nick Bratcher was head coach and Shaack was assistant coach. I'm sure Baylor won the dual match that year.

ND won state again in 1970------------Shaack had taken over for Bratcher as head coach. That's the period I'm not sure about. I'm certain that ND beat Baylor when Yogi Anderson was the head coach following Shaack's tenure.

As for the biting incident----------come on, a good little Catholic boy biting one of those Red Raider preps? Nick/Shaack would never have permitted that. Weinberg must have faked it----------probably had his brother Sandy bite him in the locker room before the match strong enough to leave the teeth marks.

Edited by BuckLateral

to get back to the original topic of this thread...baylor has to be the favorite for this season. mccallie is probably a close second. third has to go to MBA this year heading into the season. it will be interesting to see how these three teams match up come time for duals and indi's. should be a fight for the trophy regardless. what about any individual wrestlers in DII? can anyone challenge manson? who will step up from CBHS now that marable is gone? is aaron bateman going to repeat from ryan, given his rambunctious behavior? will the young twins from mccallie take double titles? this year DII looks to be very competitive not just by team standings but in individual weight classes. should be a great year

to get back to the original topic of this thread...baylor has to be the favorite for this season. mccallie is probably a close second. third has to go to MBA this year heading into the season. it will be interesting to see how these three teams match up come time for duals and indi's. should be a fight for the trophy regardless. what about any individual wrestlers in DII? can anyone challenge manson? who will step up from CBHS now that marable is gone? is aaron bateman going to repeat from ryan, given his rambunctious behavior? will the young twins from mccallie take double titles? this year DII looks to be very competitive not just by team standings but in individual weight classes. should be a great year

baylor obviously has to be favorites going in but mccallie if they can get their lower weights going they have a good chance to challenge baylor, the loss of josh wheeler was huge and will but them back alot, no one can come close to manson, the youngs and goss should win state dont really see anyone challenging them

what weight is coffey from jp2 going?

and what is mba's team looking like and where is simpson going?

baylor obviously has to be favorites going in but mccallie if they can get their lower weights going they have a good chance to challenge baylor, the loss of josh wheeler was huge and will but them back alot, no one can come close to manson, the youngs and goss should win state dont really see anyone challenging them

what weight is coffey from jp2 going?

and what is mba's team looking like and where is simpson going?

Is Wheeler hurt? Why do you mention McCallie losing him? He was only a junior last year according to the brackets.

Edited by WrestleSBA

not sure about wheeler but i bet some of our chatt friends could help us out on that one. as for those who say that ND is stepping up: why would they be stepping up if they cant even win a championship in D2? hmmm.

How many teams do you know finishing in the AP top 15 statewide over the last 4 years do you know with a coed student population of 500 plus? Hmmmm?

How would you like to compete against Baylor, McCallie, CBHS, Father Ryan, et al, with twice that amount? Hmmmm?

How many teams do you know finishing in the AP top 15 statewide over the last 4 years do you know with a coed student population of 500 plus? Hmmmm?

How would you like to compete against Baylor, McCallie, CBHS, Father Ryan, et al, with twice that amount? Hmmmm?

They have been competing with these schools for years. What changed?

Edited by mtnrasslin