Who Will Win The DII-AAA Title Game?

rollredroll

Another balanced year for DII-AAA. The league went 30-6 versus non DII-AAA opponents, including two wins over teams with only one loss for the year (CBHS over Melrose, BA over Ravenwood). The six losses were, on the whole, against pretty good teams (including a Top 15 nationally-ranked Byrnes team, a one-loss Alcoa team, and a one-loss Melrose team).

The playoffs should be interesting (aside: DII haters, save your playoff format jabs for another day. There are 2-8 teams in the DI brackets, as well as some other teams with losing records in the postseason. The DII format is what it is with the number of teams it has, and no teams with losing records are participating). The way I see it, the title is up for grabs. Any of the top 4 have a good chance at this point, and BA and Baylor get remtaches versus teams they lost to narrowly during the regular season, so they will have motivation.

Does an "M" school make it 8 DII-AAA titles in a row? Does Middle Tennessee make it 9 for 9 in state title game appearances? Or do we have an all-Memphis final played 250 miles away in Murfreesboro?

Edited by rollredroll

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cut it out, I guess you don't remember when the Vandy field was plastic too.

The playoffs this year are very much the same as last year. MUS is probably the best team, but anyone (not just the top four seeds) could win it. RRR, I wouldn't count out BA just yet. If Ford gets back, he's still one of the top offensive weapons in the state.

RRR, I wouldn't count out BA just yet. If Ford gets back, he's still one of the top offensive weapons in the state.

I'm definitely not counting them out. Given that they've beaten McCallie three times in the postseason after losing to them in the regular season ('00, '02, '04), I think they've got a great chance to beat McCallie.

Edited by rollredroll

I'm definietly not counting them out. Given that they've beaten McCallie three times in the postseason after losing to them in the regular season ('00, '02, '04), I think they've got a great chance to beat McCallie.

Guess I misinterpreted your previous post.

I would not be shocked to see a rematch of last year's Clinic Bowl (if Ford is healthy), but the most likely scenario would be a CBHS vs. MUS game. MBA has an excellent chance in a rematch with MUS. Neither McCallie nor Baylor will make the final game.

Edited by itzme

Guess I misinterpreted your previous post.

I would not be shocked to see a rematch of last year's Clinic Bowl (if Ford is healthy), but the most likely scenario would be a CBHS vs. MUS game. MBA has an excellent chance in a rematch with MUS. Neither McCallie nor Baylor will make the final game.

Regardless of the final participants, I think the league has proved its merit once again, and the fact that five of the eight teams had to go out of state to find games speaks volumes about how hard it is to schedule games for this league.

Regardless of the final participants, I think the league has proved its merit once again, and the fact that five of the eight teams had to go out of state to find games speaks volumes about how hard it is to schedule games for this league.

For sure. Let's hope Ravenwood wins 5A, Melrose 4A and let the chatter begin! :rolleyes:

For sure. Let's hope Ravenwood wins 5A, Melrose 4A and let the chatter begin! :rolleyes:

I'm all for that.

I'll be interested to see what happens if Melrose makes the finals. I think their offense and defense is down a notch this year from '04, but they're still good. Still, Maryville's defense is good enough this year that they could make a I-4A title game not nearly as interesting as last year if there's a rematch.

Ravenwood could go far as well. That TC Jennings is a good QB.

CBHS will have a tough time trying to beat MUS a second time. They only pulled it off the first time because they put in a quarterback who could actually throw the ball with some sort of accuracy and their backs were to the wall so they had to let him throw downfield, but MUS will be ready for that this time around. The Brothers need to start thinking about putting in some new plays, as they are awfully one-dimensional on offense. MUS (and MBA for that matter) are much more balanced. Should be interesting though.