Dyersburg vs Chester Co.

basketballnuts

The final was 70-66 Dyersburg. It looks to me as you guys call state champions for this year are not all that, even though they won. And another thing if Chester Co is such the worse team ever to win state, how can they hang with the so called champions. I think everyone on this board needs to give them a little respect and stop hating on them. Don't hate the player or the team hate the game.

as i had stated in a previous post, dburg has a long way to go before it can make a serious run for a district/region championship....

dburg led by as many as 12 or 13 points, only to see chester battle its way back to tie the game late in the 3rd quarter....

thomas for chester proved why she is a mvp by scoring close to 30 points......

the good things that i saw for dburg is:

#1. they proved they could defeat a quality team without their all-state point guard....can't wait to get her back..... this allows the back-up pg to get some all important playing time and experience

#2. guess who the leading scorer was for dburg.......yancy.......if she and mclin continue to improve and dburg peaks at the right time, then dburg could have 4 solid players that might present match-up problems for some teams.....

and after seeing martin tonight, i am even more convinced that there are 4 teams that can win this district and would not be surprised if the #4 seed wins the region...

martin defeated a quality AAA columbia team before the dburg-chester game.....

Edited by mg

ok both are great program and both will have great seasons good luck to both B)

I agree. Dyersburg will be tough, and so will Chester when they get warmed up and start clicking. I believe Chester even took the lead in the 4th quarter. Thomas had 32, which, if my memory serves me, puts her over 2000 career points!

According to box scores, it looked as if Chester had a case of 1st game jitters in the first quarter (19-7), but out scoring Dyersburg in every other quarter. With these two, Westview, Gibson, Obion, just to mention a few of the west Tn teams, hey, this should be an interesting year in AA!! B)B)

Edited by birdie

The final was 70-66 Dyersburg. It looks to me as you guys call state champions for this year are not all that, even though they won. And another thing if Chester Co is such the worse team ever to win state, how can they hang with the so called champions. I think everyone on this board needs to give them a little respect and stop hating on them. Don't hate the player or the team hate the game.

I agree they hung with The Lady Trojans but the game and the score would have been wayyyy different if Strayhorn was playing. Strayhorn averaged 24 ppg last year and has gotten unbeleivable over the summer. Thomas is a good player but i dont think she would have had 30 points if Shaunda played.

i'm a huge dyersburg fan but shaunda strayhorn did not average 24 ppg last year. if i'm not mistaken reginette maddox probably the best girl player to ever come out of that school only averages 18. shaunda is a very good player and definately would have made a difference but she did not average 24 last year

i'm a huge dyersburg fan but shaunda strayhorn did not average 24 ppg last year. if i'm not mistaken reginette maddox probably the best girl player to ever come out of that school only averages 18. shaunda is a very good player and definately would have made a difference but she did not average 24 last year

the best all around player to come out of dburg was serita g.......

she is the only 6 ft womens basketball player i have ever seen from dburg that could dribble like a man, shoot from anywhere..... she had a thick body to go with her size....

and she could GRAB THE RIM........her senior year, she could almost dunk.........

may she rest in peace.......

Edited by mg

Chester had their sophomore pt. guard out as well, with an injury. Don't know when she will be back, but heard she's a real dandy!!! It looks like Chester is trying to get a lot of inexperienced kids some playing time as well...which will pay of when it counts.

As for Dyersburg's loss...the season is YOUNG. No doubt you guys have a nice team. I wouldn't be too concerned.

D'Burg will be tough this season.. Excellent program they have and Coffman is an excellent coach :thumb: I had the opportunity to watch them in a Jamboree and they'll have more depth this season that many thought. Especially since graduating

six off of last year's state runner-up team.. Holloway is tough inside and when Strayhorn comes back from injury the Lady Trojans will be hard handle :thumb:

D'Burg will be tough this season.. Excellent program they have and Coffman is an excellent coach :rolleyes: I had the opportunity to watch them in a Jamboree and they'll have more depth this season that many thought. Especially since graduating

six off of last year's state runner-up team.. Holloway is tough inside and when Strayhorn comes back from injury the Lady Trojans will be hard handle :lol:

dburg will start the season off slow due to the following factors:

1. strayhorn is out till jan.....she is an all-state point guard who average 20+ during summer and is the spark plug that will make this team go... her summer play was one of the primary reasons belmont came after her......... (she has already signed a letter of intent with belmont)

2. there are 3 younger players who must step up in leader roles.....and be consistent

3. the team you see until strayhorn gets back is next years team...so 4 out of the 5 starting are young....

going into district tourney, dburg may only have 2 district wins and could be the 5th place team.....

come district tourney, dburg may emerg as a force to be reckoned with....

Edited by mg

I agree...Dyersburg will struggle...folks need to remember though that (a) Coffman is a defensive minded coach & girls that don't commit to defense, won't play long and (:thumb: Strayhorn's biggest asset is her defense & if the point guards they are now using play defense the way Coffman wants, they'll stay put & he'll use Strayhorn as shooting guard...defense wins championships not offense....

Every team I've seen play has alot of work ahead but that's why tournaments are at the end of a season.......

It will be a great year, no doubt......