Mr. Football 2A lineman travesty

coachmoore13

DEION and a few others

Look one more time, and read closely. Just because I'm a person who thinks an individuals negative actions on the field should be a prerequisite for awards does not mean I am classless. You want to spout off about how I can not have an intelligent conversation all the while you and a few others have called me names because I think unsportsmanlike like behavior should be part of the judging process just like the persons game stats should have been. Then you want to excuse the behavior because it was the officials fault or "He really is a good kid". Well you are right many of us don't know the kid personally, we only see what we see at the games, in the press, hear from friends or on TV highlights. Then you try to point out other civil & legal, team violations, school suspensions and other infractions other students/players have committed at other schools over many years as some kind of justification to dismiss BW actions.

I think the biggest travesty is the kid, who is a senior won't be able to help his team win another State Championship. Personally, I think the two game ejections rule to be harsh simply because one occurred in the first game of the season in this case. I think every player who enters the post season should have a clean slate. Spinning the ball should have been an excessive celebration 15 yard penalty, not a player ejection for the first offence. I feel like it is a failure of the coaching staff if they did not speak to BW after the first unsportsmanlike like call was made to insure he knew the consequences of another call. If I were coaching and I thought there was a chance, any chance I could lose this talented player for the season, and I could win without him he would have been on the sideline the rest of that game. I would not have taken a chance on losing him due to his demonstrated emotional antics over the course of the past season. Besides everyone would agree after you get the first call in a game, the officials are looking your way. More so when your the “go to guy” with a great scholarship in your future. I agree the target could have been on his back, but those reasons do not and should not trump the rules or an official’s interpation of them. I am sorry for BW that this season and career has ended like this for him but the bigger picture is there are consequences for his actions and that message needs to be sent to every young person this day and age. I know he has got to be devastated as his family no doubt is over this suspension. I am sorry for them.

But awarding a player Mr. Football in a state should not go to a kid who is eligible to play the game. In my opinion it sends the wrong message.

Good luck to BW in the future and to Alcoa Friday night and go get that gold ball.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHOA, NOW! Don't go puttin' words in my mouth! I never said "it is ok because he didn't kill anybody"!! Careful with those quotes! What I said was, "He's a kid who made a couple of big mistakes on the field during a game; he hasn't made any life threatening mistakes. Let's move on...he has, the team has, and the coaches have. The Tornadoes are getting ready for the big game on Friday!!!!"

Remember this is a GAME before you have a stroke! And, I'd like for you to point out where I took a shot at Murvul. ;)

Thanks for the decent words about Brandon...he is a fine young man and is deserving of the award. And, I'm sure he's already learned from this experience.

Go Tornadoes and Rebs!!!! Bring the gold back back to Blount Co. where it belongs! ;)

I agree. Let's move on.

Theres gonna be nothing but complaing going on. Call me crazy but a certain Union City Running back a few years ago won the award then few months later shot at somebody...Never heard him called a thug...Yet someone who spins a ball on the ground is a thug...Its crazy and outta control in Alcoa all those Drive-By Ball spinnings...Keep your kids indoors they might get hurt!!...Congrats Brandon, From a HUGE Miami Hurricanes fan goodluck Next year @ Florida State!!! Ill be at the game cheering for my Canes and You!

The focal point of of your rant should be this.."a certain Union City running back a few years back (2000 in fact) won the award then a few months later shot at somebody"....He won the award for his play in the 2000 football season(his junior year)...The incident you talk about happened in the summer of 2001 before his senior season...I don't think you could go back and take it away...BTW..He shot in the air..not "at somebody"..Which really makes no difference,he shouldn't have been in that situation in the first place...He was booted off the team and didn't play his senior season,so he wasn't rewarded for his actions and he destroyed a promising career which also by the way was a career that had him the running back that Coach Fulmer at Tennessee wanted more than Gerald Riggs that year...Also,he was called a thug in this community and probably much more than that too....Comparing what happened to Brandon Warren and what happened to Mario Mclrath is grasping at straws and comparing apples to grapes..Also,Warren will continue his career and play with FSU and Mario doesn't have that option....There are a lot of kids playing football that have a "passion" for the game that don't get caught up in all the other crap that goes on and behave like they are supposed to(Matter of fact Mario was never thrown out of a game)...I don't know Brandon Warren,but it sounds to me like people in the Alcoa area think alot of him...Maybe it would be different if he wasn't a star football player,I don't know..But I do know one thing,if he wants to be successful on the next level he needs to get his emotions in check while he is playing the game.Because no matter what kind of kid he is,he still has let a whole lot of people down and that's a shame...

Edited by backinthaoc

It is my understanding that voting was done in advance of the players suspension. I am really not to bent out of shape about it after all he was the only true lineman in the 2A category. I am not saying that the LineBACKers are not talented or maybe even more talented. I was glad to see LINEMEN win the lineman wawrds in all cases at the banquet this year.

• 3 weeks later...