Opinions wanted-Why so many injuries?

bball4all

It is heartbreaking to read of all the injuries occuring! Why is this happening? We have all heard "girls knees are 'built' different from guys", but is this what is causing so many qualilty players to be injured? What, if anything, can coaches and parents do to prevent this? Is it just me, or do we not hear about these types of injuries with guys? The ones we are hearing about are to "starting" players who we all know are getting more floor time during games and practice, and should be in the best shape on their teams. Any ideas or opinions?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is heartbreaking to read of all the injuries occuring! Why is this happening? We have all heard "girls knees are 'built' different from guys", but is this what is causing so many qualilty players to be injured? What, if anything, can coaches and parents do to prevent this? Is it just me, or do we not hear about these types of injuries with guys? The ones we are hearing about are to "starting" players who we all know are getting more floor time during games and practice, and should be in the best shape on their teams. Any ideas or opinions?

Here is my question, and this is probably not a good one because AAU, etc... is every year - but for these starting players, especially the kids that are invited to events on top of AAU and High School - how many games do they play in a calendar year? With the popularity and focus on all level of sports, and especially now where kids can make the jump to the "bigs" out of High School or play an expanded schedule in front of a National Audience (can we say ESPN 1,2,3,4,5,...) - are there not more events? More pressure (impact or otherwise) to be handled?

The hard court has always been tough on players. Todays players, especially the good ones, play almost year round. They have summer camps, tough off-season workouts, long seasons and AAU is a tough haul. The demand placed on these ladies and the competition is tougher than ever. This does not include the work a player puts in on the driveway hoop or community center or YMCA. To get to the next level or to even make a school team takes alot of work. If a player does not like the sport, I would never go through what most of them have to do. Just my thoughts and observations.

The hard court has always been tough on players. Todays players, especially the good ones, play almost year round. They have summer camps, tough off-season workouts, long seasons and AAU is a tough haul. The demand placed on these ladies and the competition is tougher than ever. This does not include the work a player puts in on the driveway hoop or community center or YMCA. To get to the next level or to even make a school team takes alot of work. If a player does not like the sport, I would never go through what most of them have to do. Just my thoughts and observations.

I saw this thread and had started one which is on now 'sports Injuries- ladies". I really was waiting for someone on that thread to mention year round playing and aaU, YBOA, etc. Experience tells me that the more play the more injuries but there are AAU (club teams) which do a better job of preparing kids, especially if they start early(9 and 10) to withstand the pressures and cut down on injuries. AAU and its associated organizations have a responsibility to do those things to help in the reduction of injuries. While the statement is correct, the biggest misstatement that is usually said is "It really is each individual players responsibility to stretch and do pregame warmups and we don't have any control over that". i would suggest that anyone hearing that statement from a program, understanding that most of these tournaments could have as much as five games a weekend, should investigate what is the injury incidence of the club not only of the first couple of years the player plays, but if possible as much as two or three years later.

Yes, time and requirements can be given that the right things can be done. AAU and associated programs are under the sponsership of a club and asking questions by a parent is certainly in order. Many parents do not have the background to know what to ask. I really commend this thread and its comments but summer, year round programs is something the other thread had not gotten

to and I would expect that this will be a rather hotly discussed subject.

Remember, don't take your eye of of the ball and that is why are there so many injuries and what can be done to reduce them?

I agree that we have to look at the impact playing "year round" could be having. The majority of high school players are playing year round, but you would think that would keep their bodies in better shape than those players who take "off" during the off season. Maybe we are to the point of having to much of a good thing. I agree that stretching is extremely important and can't imagine a coach at any level that would not insist on their players doing stretches before every practice or game. I wonder if the probelm is that these types of excercises haven't kept up with the game itself. Are we still using the techniques from the old days of three on three or have we just been using the same type of excercises the boys programs use thinking that they will work for the girls. The thing we may all need to consider is....THESE ARE GIRLS, just because they can play full court doesn't mean they can play it the same way the guys do. I would be interested to see how much the injury rate has increased since the change to full court and in the years since the girls have begun playing "more like the guys". The main question still remains the same....WHY? and WHAT CAN WE DO to change this?

The most glaring thing that stands out to me is that everybody is talking about playing "year round" and how to reduce injuries!!!!

I'm probably going to irritate some folks and step on a few toes.....but I really don't care. So, here goes.....

That is the biggest problem right there....."playing year round". These are kids that we are talking about. Their bodies are NOT mature enough to withstand the demands that are placed on them...especialy year round!!!! Look at ANY college or professional sport. They have an "Off-season". Those athletes use that time to rest, heal and get ready for the next season. Unforutnately, that's something you don't see in AAU or any of the other competitive leagues.

As a parent myself, I want to see my son excel.....whether it's athletics, school or just playing video games. But guess what.....I'm going to let him tell me what he wants to do.

Nowadays, parents have become more involved in their kids social lives and seem to push them to competitive soccer, basketball etc. All too many times, these competitive leagues practice and play year round. When do these kids have time to rest??? When do they have time to just be a kid and do what they want??? So many times I see parents desires reflected in their children. When the child fails, the parent fails.....but who gets the blame??? THE KID!!!! Why place that burden and pressure on a young child???? Let a kid be a kid and they will tell you when they have had enough. At least it works for me.

I'll never forget, I used to have twin student athletes under my care. They both played soccer, basketball and softball all four years of high school. Upon their graduation, I asked them both if they were going to play sports in college. They both responded that "No....I just want to have a life of my own".

Edited by sofine

The most glaring thing that stands out to me is that everybody is talking about playing "year round" and how to reduce injuries!!!!

I'm probably going to irritate some folks and step on a few toes.....but I really don't care. So, here goes.....

That is the biggest problem right there....."playing year round". These are kids that we are talking about. Their bodies are NOT mature enough to withstand the demands that are placed on them...especialy year round!!!! Look at ANY college or professional sport. They have an "Off-season". Those athletes use that time to rest, heal and get ready for the next season. Unforutnately, that's something you don't see in AAU or any of the other competitive leagues.

As a parent myself, I want to see my son excel.....whether it's athletics, school or just playing video games. But guess what.....I'm going to let him tell me what he wants to do.

Nowadays, parents have become more involved in their kids social lives and seem to push them to competitive soccer, basketball etc. All too many times, these competitive leagues practice and play year round. When do these kids have time to rest??? When do they have time to just be a kid and do what they want??? So many times I see parents desires reflected in their children. When the child fails, the parent fails.....but who gets the blame??? THE KID!!!! Why place that burden and pressure on a young child???? Let a kid be a kid and they will tell you when they have had enough. At least it works for me.

I'll never forget, I used to have twin student athletes under my care. They both played soccer, basketball and softball all four years of high school. Upon their graduation, I asked them both if they were going to play sports in college. They both responded that "No....I just want to have a life of my own".

for your information, the interest in injuries must be very high because the thread that was started earlier, about 3 weeks ago, has had 2134 views in that time. Ankles has had 1534 views in that time. It makes some sense to look at and understand some possible preventive measures form some posters that have some background in the field but then to check with your own professional.

Sofine, I second your post. I myself have gotten that response before.... And PHargis, you don't have to get defensive. Sofine has given many key possibilities that have increased the amount of injuries in mainly female sports.. But that is just it, experts such as sports med. orthopaedic doctors, physical therapists, and athletic trainers have debated these issues for a number of years and there is still not a definite answer or single causing factor to the increased number of female injuries(most commonly the knee) in hs or college athletics... What I'm simply trying to say is that IMO there is not just one thing that female athletes can do to dramatically reduce injuries. It simply has to be a trial and error program designed for a specific group of athletes for a specific time. You will never know if what your doing is causing an injury or if what you didn't do could have prevented the injury. It just seems that PHargis wants to know what to do to drastically reduce injuries and she/he wants to know NOW!!! PHargis, its simply not that easy and if it was then the so-called experts would have definitely found the answer by now. Not trying to hurt your feelings or anyone else's but take it from me, sofine, rebel, cbomb8. Sometimes injuries happen, its just a part of the game. We all do what we have been taught and what we think will help but sometimes it just doesn't work.. I know of teams that had 3 ACL injuries in one season(4yrs ago), haven't changed a thing to their workout or conditioning programs and haven't had one since(knock on wood :thumb: ).

PHargis, you can ask from now until the end of the season, but I do believe that almost every factor that I have ever heard to be a possible cause to increased injury rate in female athletes has been mentioned on this thread or the others. I do believe that most factor mentioned in these posts combine to play huge roles in causing these injuries... But if one definite cause floats to the top of my lucky charms in the morning, I will let you know.....

I leave with this story from an orthopaedic dr's office in Chattanooga. An athlete,years ago, who tore her ACL during a hs bask game was being examined in the dr's office. After thorough exam, he broke the news that her acl was tore and that she would have to under go surgery before returning for her senior yr. Denial had suddenly set in with her and her parents and just could not begin to understand why she would need surgery... So the dr.(not saying a word)began frantically looking in every drawer of the exam room. After a couple remarks from the Dr.- "where did I put that", the parents had to ask what it was that he couldn't find. So being quick on his toes as usual, the dr replied "my majic wond so your daughter doesn't have to undergo surgery"!!!!!! Probably not funny at the time, but oh well.......

for your information, the interest in injuries must be very high because the thread that was started earlier, about 3 weeks ago, has had 2134 views in that time. Ankles has had 1534 views in that time.

Sofine is not be sarcastic... If your not going to take all factors mentioned into account then it does us no good to elaborate on what might be the cause since it looks as if you are going to ask until you get a response that you think is right....

Yes, alot of people are interested in these subjects as am I. Thank you for starting the threads, just don't get disappointed when there has been little clinical studies found to pinpoint a single injury causing factor or preventable plan of action. IMO, just as sofine says, I believe that year round participation(whether it be AAU or league play) is a big factor. No off season, no time for the body to rest and repair itself..

Polesit....thanks for supporting my opinions. I had a feeling that I was going to get blasted for my comments.....but sometimes the truth is to hard to ignore.

As far as PHargis....I can't really blast that person. S/he has done a great job of keeping these forums at the top of the page and encouraged other members to post their opinions. I definitely commend them for that. But it seems that PHargis has forgot that I am an ATC (or "Trainer" as they call us"). And apparently this person seems to have forgot that I have previously posted my opinions on bracing, knee injuries, etc. for which they have commended me on!! To blast me on my opinions on this issue, when s/he called for my opinions......well, something seems to be a little fishy there <_<

Now PHargis disagreeing with my post.....that's how it goes on Coach T. S/he asked for expert opinions from ATC's, and we gave it to them. Sorry to hurt some feelings........but life, just like athletics, ain't all that fair at times.

Deal with it.

Edited by sofine

Polesit....thanks for supporting my opinions. I had a feeling that I was going to get blasted for my comments.....but sometimes the truth is to hard to ignore.

As far as PHargis....I can't really blast that person. S/he has done a great job of keeping these forums at the top of the page and encouraged other members to post their opinions. I definitely commend them for that.

Now PHargis disagreeing with my post.....that's how it goes on Coach T. S/he asked for expert opinions from ATC's, and we gave it to them. Sorry to hurt some feelings........but life, just like athletics, ain't all that fair at times.

Certainly I am sorry if you thought I disagreed with your post. To the contrary I was not in a positon to agree or disagree but am in a position to solicit information from knowlegable people. This was meant to be a fact finding situation and to the contrary, some of the posts, if they have some validity are questions that could be taken to a medical professional to at least understand the validity. Some things seem factual. Major acl injuries like this happen to females mostly. It seems ,although not conclusive, that acls are on the increase.

While knee injuries are the major type injury, when I started the thread the injury type was not even specified. Being a student of the game, I was interested in how the game had developed in skill and how it was being played and how adults were interpreting the rules to push them toward professional interpretation instead of letting HS play HS. this then got in to conditioning and into types of injuries and finding there were some situations where there were more injuries occuring and some thought, whether it is true or not , that a more planned way of conditioning was better than the way some are doing it now.

You might disagree with this but it is my belief that female athletes skills have developed to the point, being pushed to compete to be on par with males, that they may have to condition differently to try to achieve it rather than continue what they are doing and one poster put it recently " it seems that the very best players seem to be haveing these injuries". It does seem that but the best players also put in a lot of time at the gym and in games and that has something to do with it.

You can agree or disagree with these posts but the question is how can these injuries be minimized. There is a lot of opinions as to how this happens and there have been some thoughtful opinions thru strengthing parts of the body to cut down some of the risks.

To get the reaction of we have looked at this before and there was no answer is a good enough reaction but womens sports keeps marching on and more young women are playing and it appears, injuries are getting to show up more. i would hope that equipment is getting betting, a knowledge of training is getting better and a way of taking care of ones self is getting better and that may be the rules which each sport uses to play the games.

I didn't mean to get off on this and am not defensive about your thoughts but i have taken the posts as being informative and kept bumping to see if some who had injuries could lend any solutions to the ongoing situation. These threads are evidently getting on some peoples nerves. It doesn't look as if there is one definitive answer but there is a new group of parents out there that might look in to a web site like this for some info or as one poster put it, may Coacht should put a forum pertaining to injuries so anyone who wanted to see posts on a subject could look in and get info.

I appreciate the post and I appreciate you letting me post on this thread.

I think a forum pertaining to athletic injuries "could" be a good idea PHargis... As long as it was for parents and athletes to discuss injuries and hopefully professional opionions on the matter. But I don't think it would be productive to address individual players by name and what injury s/he may have sustained. That information is considered confidential and may be against the athletes wishes to be made public. Also, teams can use that info as modivation if that team happens to be an upcoming apponent.