Referring

jtb99

Michael,

At any point, the coach may throw a towel in and stop the match IMMEDIATELY. If I am a coach and my kid is in this kind of distress, I am tossing a towel in.

Not being an apologetist here for my side, a kid is on his back in near fall, we dont want the kid to miss his pin and are closely watching the defensive shoulders. This is a situation where having the assistant referee is invaluable. It is his job to watch for such things as tapping out, though it is rare. Absent that, we are, or should be checking shoulders (both offensive and defensive), hands to face, clear air passages, blood, arm slip out of a headlock, and so on.

Not trying to hang this on the coach, but I would want to know why he didnt throw a towel in?

Safety of the wrestler is our #1 job. If we missed a tap out, we missed a big one.

reftn

REFTN, thank you for again providing a straight forward, non-defensive answer. I agree with everything you said.

I can not fault a referee for simply not seeing the wrestler "tapping out". However, in this case I had the impression that the referee did not recognize that the wrestler had the "prerogative" (to use the rule book's terminology) to default during the match, or he did not recognize "tapping out" as a sign of defaulting by the wrestler. When I get a chance, I'll try to ask the referee that made this call exactly how he interpreted the situation (if he is willing to discuss it with me).

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, the Senior Reff is the worst excuse of a Reff I've ever seen. Poor old man cannot even see. I think it's about time he throws in the towel.

Xertan, I know it is frustrating when referees don't call matches the way we want, but I don't think it is helpful to single out a particular referee by name.

If you read REFTN's post on this thread, you'll agree that he gave honest, straightforward, non-defensive answers. However, if fans like you and I attack the referees with anonymous posts, then we will not receive any helpful answers from the referees.

I have loudly "helped" many referees during matches. Many of these referees have not appreciated my "assistance" and have let me know. However, I have not been abusive to them. Verbal abuse of the referee will rightly result in my expulsion from the gymnasium. However, non-abusive language at least has a chance to get my point across to the referee.