Culleoka's Coach Out

Shootmore

where did limerock and culleokarep go to? do you fellas have some predictions for the game thursday night? we all know that Doug Sharp is a good coach... so I guess we will all see this fantastic talent that you say we have... whats your call boys???

Been readin the thread...pretty even across the board. You can't blame coaching alone and yes the players out there have needed someone to light a fire under them. (I'm not sure there are enough dedicated basketball players in the high school ages to do anything in the next year or so. That's why i think a new guy needs to be hired for jr. High and start in the 5th or 6th grade and then work his way up with them. Most coach's won't want to do that though) I think as far as Thursday's game, there may be enough of a spark from Coach Sharp that you might see Culle sneak out a close win. Has he had much time in the gym with the girls since he took over? I wish them all good luck.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Culleoka hasn't taught the fundamentals of basketball to girls in years because the administration hasn't hired a girls coach with the know how or balls to do it. If as much time had been spent to hire a GOOD girls coach as had been spent finding good boys coaches, our girls would be in better shape. As a parent of one of those non-talented girls as you call them, I don't expect miracles but I would like to see a coach in there who can teach the girls something and can earn their respect. It's hard to respect someone who doesn't know how to coach or how to teach you how to do things right. Mr. Crabtree is an excellent teacher but as a player's parent, I know he knows very little about basketball. The least he could have done was stay in the gym following the girls game and try to pick up pointers. In stead he either went home or went and sat on the bus. His words of encouragement to the girls after the games was We'll get em next time. Well you can't get em next time if you can't figure out what went wrong the first time.

Culleoka hasn't taught the fundamentals of basketball to girls in years because the administration hasn't hired a girls coach with the know how or balls to do it. If as much time had been spent to hire a GOOD girls coach as had been spent finding good boys coaches, our girls would be in better shape. As a parent of one of those non-talented girls as you call them, I don't expect miracles but I would like to see a coach in there who can teach the girls something and can earn their respect. It's hard to respect someone who doesn't know how to coach or how to teach you how to do things right. Mr. Crabtree is an excellent teacher but as a player's parent, I know he knows very little about basketball. The least he could have done was stay in the gym following the girls game and try to pick up pointers. In stead he either went home or went and sat on the bus. His words of encouragement to the girls after the games was We'll get em next time. Well you can't get em next time if you can't figure out what went wrong the first time.

Do you know more than he does? :)

I know that if I apply for a job I'm not qualified for that I would do everything in my power to learn what I needed to in order to improve. He hasn't done that. It is administrations fault for tying the history position to the coaching position. Just because you can teach history doesn't mean you can coah basketball and vice versa. Regardless of whether we win or lose, I think you'll see a difference in the girl's team. You'll see a difference in their attitudes and a difference in their playing. If we don't, then I'll eat crow. Bruce Slatten didn't have to teach the boys how to play basketball because Doug Sharp had already done that. All Slatten had to do was tone up the boys abilities. And another thing, Slatten hasn't had to wait on practicing with the high school boys until he finished coaching Jr. High because the boys have had different coaches. For the last 4 years, the High School girls coach has had to coach Jr. High girls as well. There again, if you don't teach them in Jr High, you can't expect much in High School. I think Crabtree is a very nice guy and a well respected History Teacher but he hasn't shown any know-how when it comes to basketball.

I know that if I apply for a job I'm not qualified for that I would do everything in my power to learn what I needed to in order to improve. He hasn't done that. It is administrations fault for tying the history position to the coaching position. Just because you can teach history doesn't mean you can coah basketball and vice versa. Regardless of whether we win or lose, I think you'll see a difference in the girl's team. You'll see a difference in their attitudes and a difference in their playing. If we don't, then I'll eat crow. Bruce Slatten didn't have to teach the boys how to play basketball because Doug Sharp had already done that. All Slatten had to do was tone up the boys abilities. And another thing, Slatten hasn't had to wait on practicing with the high school boys until he finished coaching Jr. High because the boys have had different coaches. For the last 4 years, the High School girls coach has had to coach Jr. High girls as well. There again, if you don't teach them in Jr High, you can't expect much in High School. I think Crabtree is a very nice guy and a well respected History Teacher but he hasn't shown any know-how when it comes to basketball.

I do not know the situation, I just asked. I am going to watch the tournament over the next two days, then I will have a more objective opinion. I am rooting for the Saints, but good luck to all the teams in the tournament, look forward to it. :lol:

what you say here is all very true... but lets put the blame on the right people here! the administration! Crabtree didnt want the coaching job, Crabtree is a baseball coach! Maybe they should have given him that job instead of giving it to the embarassment that they did last year! as for your comments earlier.. when i say that our girls are talentless, i need to rephrase that... we do have some talent, but not from our "star" players! our girls that are supposedly great are one demensional players at best. our young pg probably has the most potential on the team... in my oppinion. I have enjoyed watching her since she was in jr. high! and the varsity coach has coached the jh team for the last 3 years... not 4. Parrot was still there when our jr.'s were 8th graders.

I have to agree with mom on this one. Crabtree did interview as a basketball coach and he wanted to have both middle school and high school programs in his hands-I guess so he could screw up both of them at the same time. I wish the girls and Coach Sharp well at Zion today and tomorrow-they deserve it!! I don't understand why people keep saying the administration needs to hire a male coach, have they ever stop to think that maybe a female coach would be a good fit for them...coach parrott was, along with other ones. I know of several that would love for the opportunity to coach these girls, but as long as Harris and others are still there, a woman won't ever stand the chance. Crabtree just like Eady are good people but didn't know much about basketball. Rumor has it Eady wants the job at Whitthorne because it is opening up after this season. All I say is good luck to whoever ends up coaching out there because coaches don't tend to last at that school-especially if parents have a problem with you. It is a shame that parents can't quit fussing long enough to let coaches try and do their thing. These girls along with others would probably be better athletes and would listen and show respect more if the parents would just stay away!! How do we expect kids to show respect when you have grownups that do right the opposite to these coaches?!

I have to agree with mom on this one. Crabtree did interview as a basketball coach and he wanted to have both middle school and high school programs in his hands-I guess so he could screw up both of them at the same time. I wish the girls and Coach Sharp well at Zion today and tomorrow-they deserve it!! I don't understand why people keep saying the administration needs to hire a male coach, have they ever stop to think that maybe a female coach would be a good fit for them...coach parrott was, along with other ones. I know of several that would love for the opportunity to coach these girls, but as long as Harris and others are still there, a woman won't ever stand the chance. Crabtree just like Eady are good people but didn't know much about basketball. Rumor has it Eady wants the job at Whitthorne because it is opening up after this season. All I say is good luck to whoever ends up coaching out there because coaches don't tend to last at that school-especially if parents have a problem with you. It is a shame that parents can't quit fussing long enough to let coaches try and do their thing. These girls along with others would probably be better athletes and would listen and show respect more if the parents would just stay away!! How do we expect kids to show respect when you have grownups that do right the opposite to these coaches?!

who said anything about it having to be a male coach? someone on her has been lobbying for Parrot to return, thats the only coach that has been seriously mentioned on here. when you are talking about "out there" and coaches not lasting long because of parents... are you talking about culleoka or Witthorne? and either way... you are saying everything that i have been saying about this current situation the entire time! as much as i have to say about the volleyball situation, you never heard me say it at a match, and i have never run to the administration and whinned about it, nor have i badmouthed her to any of her athletes and tried to pursuade them to see things the way i do... but thats not how the basketball parents work!

who said anything about it having to be a male coach? someone on her has been lobbying for Parrot to return, thats the only coach that has been seriously mentioned on here. when you are talking about "out there" and coaches not lasting long because of parents... are you talking about culleoka or Witthorne? and either way... you are saying everything that i have been saying about this current situation the entire time! as much as i have to say about the volleyball situation, you never heard me say it at a match, and i have never run to the administration and whinned about it, nor have i badmouthed her to any of her athletes and tried to pursuade them to see things the way i do... but thats not how the basketball parents work!

I think a woman coach may but what these girls need. As for Ms Parrot, my bad for getting my years mixed up! I think there is a lot of potential talent on our team but I also know that there is not I in team and not one player can make or break a team. What we need is someone with the guts to make these girls play as a team. As for badmouthing the coach in front of the girls, I have never said anything about Coach Crabtree as an individual but as a coach. I wish the girls lots of luck during the rest of the season and I hope their future is bright. I can already see a difference in the girl's attitude in just these last few days. As a parent, it is my responsiibility to see that my child gets what they deserve. As for whinning to the administration, I would have done the same if my child was having problems in another class as well. It is the administrations job to make sure that what ever a child is participating in, the teacher is doing that job to the best of their ability. This was not happening in girl's basketball. I agree that all sports at Culleoka have had their share of problems, including Baseball which has gone through 4 coaches in the last 5 years. I think that the administration has failed in the aspect of hiring qualified coaches in several sports and it's about time they fessed up to it. Maybe this particular situation wasn't handled in the best way but I say, if it makes a difference, I don't care.

I think a woman coach may but what these girls need. As for Ms Parrot, my bad for getting my years mixed up! I think there is a lot of potential talent on our team but I also know that there is not I in team and not one player can make or break a team. What we need is someone with the guts to make these girls play as a team. As for badmouthing the coach in front of the girls, I have never said anything about Coach Crabtree as an individual but as a coach. I wish the girls lots of luck during the rest of the season and I hope their future is bright. I can already see a difference in the girl's attitude in just these last few days. As a parent, it is my responsiibility to see that my child gets what they deserve. As for whinning to the administration, I would have done the same if my child was having problems in another class as well. It is the administrations job to make sure that what ever a child is participating in, the teacher is doing that job to the best of their ability. This was not happening in girl's basketball. I agree that all sports at Culleoka have had their share of problems, including Baseball which has gone through 4 coaches in the last 5 years. I think that the administration has failed in the aspect of hiring qualified coaches in several sports and it's about time they fessed up to it. Maybe this particular situation wasn't handled in the best way but I say, if it makes a difference, I don't care.

i wasnt implying that you had badmouthed coach crabtree or any other coach infront of the kids or publicly... i was refering to those parents who yell at the games for their daughters to shoot the ball when anyone w/ half a brain knows they shouldnt be doing that! and as for going to the administartion, again, i wanst refering to you persoanly, i dont even know who you are... nor do i care to know. i was speaking of those parents whos daughters are getting more playing time then they deserve, and who have been complaining when their daughter should be sitting on the bench as it is! someone, i think it may have been culleokarep said that the coach should have sat the girls who were being selfish and not playing like a team out or run them off the team... well the coach did sit the girls out against marshall county (and im not saying that all the girls that sat out were being selfish or not playing as a team)... and that didnt go over well either. so i guess he was ###### if he did, and ###### if he didnt. all that can be done now is to move on and see what comes from this point on... Coach Sharp is a very good coach and the girls will learn from him if they choose to do so. 4 hours and 45 minutes til tipoff! Good Luck Coach Sharp!

i wasnt implying that you had badmouthed coach crabtree or any other coach infront of the kids or publicly... i was refering to those parents who yell at the games for their daughters to shoot the ball when anyone w/ half a brain knows they shouldnt be doing that! and as for going to the administartion, again, i wanst refering to you persoanly, i dont even know who you are... nor do i care to know. i was speaking of those parents whos daughters are getting more playing time then they deserve, and who have been complaining when their daughter should be sitting on the bench as it is! someone, i think it may have been culleokarep said that the coach should have sat the girls who were being selfish and not playing like a team out or run them off the team... well the coach did sit the girls out against marshall county (and im not saying that all the girls that sat out were being selfish or not playing as a team)... and that didnt go over well either. so i guess he was ###### if he did, and ###### if he didnt. all that can be done now is to move on and see what comes from this point on... Coach Sharp is a very good coach and the girls will learn from him if they choose to do so. 4 hours and 45 minutes til tipoff! Good Luck Coach Sharp!

Zion by 30.....