Sequatchie Co., Ooltewah & Soddy Daisy

Sequatchie

Tennessee will have three teams playing in the Carpet Capital Classic Tournament in Dalton, GA at the NW Georgia Trade Center.

Ooltewah, Sequatchie County & Soddy Daisy boys teams will play and it looks like Sequatchie County will have the only girls team from Tennessee in the tournament.

CARPET CAPITAL CLASSIC

December 27, 2005 thru December 30, 2005

Tuesday, December 27

Soddy Daisy = 65, LFO = 30 (B)

Ooltewah = 70, Southeast Whitfield = 55 (B)

Wednesday, December 28

LFO = 60, Murray County = 36 (G)

Ooltewah = 47, LFO = 39 (B)

Sequatchie County = 58, Southeast Whitfield = 27 (G)

Southeast Whitfield = 75, Sequatchie County = 33 (B)

Thursday, December 29

Sequatchie County = 60, Murray County = 49 (G)

Soddy Daisy = 64, Sequatchie County = 44 (B)

LFO = 52, Southeast Whitfield = 15 (G)

Ooltawah = 43, Dalton = 42 (B)

Friday, December 30

LFO = 42, Sequatchie County = 28 (G)

Sequatchie County = 59, LFO = 41 (B)

Murray County = 36, Southeast Whitfield = 25 (G)

Soddy Daisy = 71, Southeast Whitfield = 55 (B)

Teams listed first are the home teams and should wear white uniforms.

www.DaltonDailyCitizen.com/Sports

www.DaltonEvents.com/?TradeCenter

Edited by Sequatchie

From Wednesday's Dalton, GA Daily Citizen

Ooltewah smothers Southeast

By Larry Fleming

Dalton Daily Citizen

When Wes Murray gets the basketball in his hands, he knows what to do.

Murray scored eight points in a 49-second span of the third and fourth quarters Tuesday night, igniting a 12-0 run and leading Ooltewah past Southeast, 70-55, in the Carpet Capital Classic at the trade center.

The Owls (8-7) were nursing a 52-46 lead when Murray burned the Raiders with back-to-back 3s to end the third quarter and a two-point basket 13 seconds into the fourth. That opened a 60-48 advantage and the Owls had a 64-48 lead with 6:19 left in the game.

“I consider myself a good shooter,” Murray said. “The biggest thing is when I get a shot I want to knock it down.”

Murray’s spurt knocked the Raiders (4-6) out.

While Southeast cut the Owls’ lead to 64-55 on Nick White’s basket with 1:33 remaining, the outcome was not in doubt.

Murray finished with a team-high 18 points while Jensen Morgan had 16 and Casey Roach and B.J. Sanders 11 apiece. Murray has scored 30 points twice this season against Hampton and

Nick White paced the Raiders with 18 points, Damien Chaney added 13 and Isaiah Tibbs had 11.

In the first game Tuesday, Soddy-Daisy’s Trojans blasted winless Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe, 65-30. The Trojans had a 57-17 lead after three quarters and that advantage invoked the “mercy rule,” which meant the final quarter was six minutes, not eight.

It’s runs like Ooltewah’s 12-0 blitz that have been hurting the Raiders of late.

“We’ve been giving up a lot of big runs like that in our last few ballgames,” Southeast coach Todd Cottrell said. “We’re having a lot of breakdowns in communication on defense. It started against Murray when they had a couple of 15-0 runs. But those things are correctable.”

Nick White put the Raiders up 3-0 early in the first quarter, but the Owls scored 11 straight points.

The Raiders then scored seven in a row and cut the lead to 11-10. When the first quarter ended the Owls were up 24-14, thanks to Sanders’ rebound putback with 0.8 seconds left.

Murray’s 3 gave the Owls a 27-16 third-period lead, but Southeast battled back and cut the deficit to 27-25 on Nick White’s free throw at the 4:48 mark.

Ooltewah had a 37-36 lead at halftime.

Southeast’s Mart Stidman hit a field goal with 2:21 left in the third quarter, cutting Ooltewah’s lead to 48-44.

But Jacob Horsch hit a free throw, Jensen Morgan nailed a jump shot and Sanders made a free throw as the Owls built a 52-44 lead.

While Murray was bombing away the Raiders went scoreless in the first 3:32 of the fourth quarter and fell behind 64-48.

Jacob Brown’s 3 from the top of the key with 3:28 left in the game ended the Raiders’ drought.

Chaney made a basket and Nick White dropped in two free throws with 1:33 remaining to pull the Raiders to within 64-55.

The Owls’ Morgan, Murray and DeAngelo Boyd connected on field goals to finish out the scoring.

“Another thing that’s bothering us is that we’re not blocking out,” Cottrell said. “They were getting two and three shots and that’s unacceptable. We can’t do that and expect to win.”

n Soddy-Daisy 65, LFO 30: Russell McNeal led the Trojans (7-4) with 16 points and Derek Rende added 13. Trey Forehand paced the Warriors (0-10) with 11 points and Chris McNelly had eight.

Southeast's Nick White goes up for a basket as Ooltewah's Jensen Morgan and Jacob Horsch defend Tuesday night at the trade center. Ooltewah won, 70-55. By Matt Hamilton

75-33 was the score I found! :thumb: They are a lot better team than that! :(

If they can play to within 5 at Howard, they shouldn't lose by 40 to that team tonight. Southeast had a lot of athletes and ran players in and out, five at a time in some cases, but Seq had played better teams than them this year already and done much better.

If they can play to within 5 at Howard, they shouldn't lose by 40 to that team tonight. Southeast had a lot of athletes and ran players in and out, five at a time in some cases, but Seq had played better teams than them this year already and done much better.

I hope they can put it behind them and come up with wins against Soddy & LFO!

Thursday's article in the Dalton Daily Citizen:

LFO steamrolls Murray County

By Larry Fleming

Dalton Daily Citizen

Murray County girls coach Traci Rankin spent 30 minutes in her postgame chat with the Lady Indians.

Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe had just beaten Murray County, 60-36, in the Carpet Capital Holiday Classic at the trade center.

“About half that time was chewing them out,” Rankin said once she emerged from the dressing room. “We’ve been working hard in practice and I expected more out of them than I got. I got some things off my chest. I’ve always been told not to take it home with me, but sometimes it’s tough.”

In the other girls game, Sequatchie County of of Dunlap, Tenn., rolled past Southeast, 58-27.

Boys action saw Southeast crush Sequatchie County, 75-33, and Ooltewah win its second game by beating Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe, 47-39.

The Lady Warriors (5-5) took advantage of sloppy play by the Lady Indians (1-6) to take a 17-5 lead after one quarter. They were up 28-12 at halftime. Murray committed 20 turnovers in the first half and scored just three points in the final 5:27 of the second period.

The Lady Indians ended the game with 34 miscues, but actually outshot the Lady Warriors from the field. Murray made 14 of 36 attempts for 38.9 percent while LFO hit 19 of 49 shots for 38.7 percent.

“We just didn’t play to our potential,” Rankin said. “There wasn’t just one reason. There were a lot of factors.”

One bright spot for Murray County was the return of junior Elaine Ponders, who has regained her academic eligibility and contributed five points in the Lady Indians’ 16-point fourth quarter. Ponders, who missed last season, did not play in the first three quarters.

Murray, playing without guards Adrianna Chavarria (ankle injury) and Jordan Flood (flu), scored just 20 points in the first three periods and had not scored field goals on back-to-back possessions up to that point.

They started the final eight-minute period with four consecutive baskets, including two by Whittney Patterson, who led Murray with seven points. Ponders made one basket and Cayla Brock the other one.

The Lady Indians’ spurt cut LFO’s lead to 50-28, but the Lady Warriors ran off six quick points and had a 56-28 lead with 4:31 remaining.

Brock finished with six points while Ponders and Cayla Singleton each scored five.

Courtney Brown led LFO with 19 points and Lindsey Underwood added 13. Kristin Gilley scored nine and Natalie Collins eight.

LFO played most of the final three quarters without Kayla Weaver, who left the arena on crutches after suffering an injury to her left ankle.

Southeast boys 75, Sequatchie 33: The Raiders (5-6) jumped to an early lead and never let up on the Indians.

Nick White pumped in a game-high 21 points for the Raiders, who opened the Classic with a 70-55 loss to Ooltewah on Tuesday. White had 18 points in that loss.

Ryan Hollingsworth finished with 11 points.

Clint Mooneyham paced the Indians with 15 points.

Ooltewah boys 47, LFO 39: Wes Murray scored 18 points for the second straight game to lead the Owls past the Warriors.

Ooltewah (9-7) led 24-23 at halftime and 33-31 after three quarters.

The Warriors’ Trey Forehand scored a game-high 21 points.

Sequatchie girls 58, Southeast 27: Kelsey Bacon scored 12 points for the Lady Indians.

Megan McFarland led the Lady Raiders (2-8) with 10 points.

Southeast trailed by 28-15 at halftime and the Lady Indians stretched the margin to 42-23 heading into the fourth quarter.

Friday's Daily Citizen article -

Owls defeat Cats, 43-42, in a classic

By Larry Fleming

Dalton Daily Citizen

Ooltewah’s Jensen Morgan hit a free throw with 6.9 seconds left Thursday night, lifting the Owls over Dalton, 43-42, in the Carpet Capital Holiday Classic at the trade center.

Morgan missed his second free throw, but the Catamounts’ Alex McArthur’s 3 at the buzzer bounced off the rim and Ooltewah (9-7) left the arena with the victory.

In the other boys game, Soddy-Daisy beat Sequatchie County, 64-44. In girls action, Sequatchie County defeated Murray County, 60-49, and Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe routed Southeast, 52-15.

Morgan made 1 of 2 free throws — both times he hit the first and missed the second — with 37.2 seconds remaining to tie the game at 42.

McArthur’s 3 with 54.9 seconds left gave the Catamounts (7-5) a 42-40 lead. Those were Dalton’s first points since Sinclair Myers’ field goal with 5:49 left in the game.

“I’m a pretty good free throw shooter,” Morgan said. “Some days I’m on and some days I’m off. On those last ones I just tried to relax, take my time. I knew the first one was good, but the second one was a little left.”

Morgan finished with 12 points while Casey Roach had 10 and Wes Murray eight. McArthur led the Catamounts with 11 points. Tripp Howell and Myers each had six and Sam Shacklett was held to four, none in the second half.

“Their 1-3-1 (zone) defense gave us some problems early, but we adjusted to that,” Dalton coach Marcus Starling said. “They doubled on Sam and he had one of those nights. That was the difference in the ballgame.”

Dalton, which made only 8-of-18 free throws in the game, came from behind to take a 27-22 halftime lead when D.J. Frazier hit a free throw and Shacklett added a basket in the final 2.2 seconds. Shacklett rebounded Frazier’s missed free throw attempt and scored at the buzzer.

The Catamounts built a 34-26 third-quarter lead when Justin Suttles hit a jump shot with 4:08 on the clock. Myers’ field goal with 1:12 left in the quarter gave the Cats a 36-30 lead that they took into the final eight minutes of the classic’s best game thus far.

Dalton’s lead was still six points with 5:49 left, but the Owls battled back.

At the end, Morgan made a free throw and McArthur’s potential game-winning 3 was just off.

“My boy got fouled on that shot,” Starling said. “We should have been shooting three at the free-throw line. But I won’t take anything away from Ooltewah. That’s a good little team over there.”

Soddy-Daisy boys 64, Sequatchie 44: Russell McNeil pumped in a game-high 24 points to lead the Trojans past the Indians.

Derek Rende finished with 16 points and Tyler Worley added 13 for the Trojans, who outscored the Indians, 21-8, in the third quarter to stretch a 36-29 halftime lead to 57-37 heading into the final eight minutes.

Clint Mooneyham scored 18 points to lead the Indians.

Sequatchie girls 60, Murray 49: Kelsey Bacon and Catherine Barker combined for 23 points for Sequatchie County, who led by 46-27 after three quarters of play.

Murray County outscored Sequatchie County 22-14 in the fourth quarter.

Bacon finished with 14 points and Barker added nine for Sequatchie.

Elaine Ponders led Murray County (1-7) with 16 points while Cayla Brock had 12 and Lauren Long 12.

Ponders also had eight rebounds, five on the defensive end of the court. Long had six rebounds, four defensive.

LFO 52, Southeast 15: The Lady Raiders (2-9) struggled throughout offensively against Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe.

Southeast scored two points in the first quarter, the basket coming with about six seconds left. The Raiders trailed 26-9 at halftime and the Lady Warriors stretched their lead to 48-15 after three quarters, envoking the “mercy rule.”

Southeast did not score in the six-minute fourth quarter.

Christy Gentry, Tiffany Kennedy and Heather Payne each scored four points for the Lady Raiders.

Lindsay Underwood led LFO with 13 points while Courtney Brown had 12 and Natalie Collins 10.