Lake County vs. St. Mary's

LakeCountyFan142311

Lake County lost this game 94-91 in triple overtime. I talked to someone up there and they said all that Lake County had to do was hit their free throws and they'd won by 20 points. We missed too many crucial free throws. At the end of the game, LC was up by three and St.Mary's hit a miracle shot and tied the game and they went into their 1st OT. At the end of the 1st OT, it was the same situation as before and St. Mary's this time hit a 40 foot prayer. So they go into 2nd OT and in the end, Tony Tyler hit a three and put us up by one. St. Mary's got the ball and they either missed a shot or turned it over. Andrew Wallace then got the ball and he was fouled. He made two big free throws and put Lake County up by three with about 3 or 4 seconds to go. LC had the game. I swear if the same thing didn't happen again. They hit a shot from half court and tied the game again! They head into the 3rd OT and LC was just out of gas and they also had Springer, Warlick, and Geanes on the bench fouled out. St. Mary's won 94-91. But this is the funny thing about it all. Tony Tyler didn't come into the game until the middle of the 3rd quarter. Andrew Wallace came in about middle of the second and made 5 strait points and Whitby took him out. He put Andrew back in about midway through the third and he hit 2 strait three's and Whitby sat him out and didn't put him back in until the 2nd OT. I guess he had to when 3 players fouled out. Several times during the game, Whitby had Jackie Johnson, Tremayne Abbott, and Marcus Terry on the floor, while Tony Tyler, Andrew Wallace, and Kevin Coplin sitting on the bench most of the game. I am not taking any credit from these guys, but he had three B team players on the floor at once and 3 of your best players on the bench. And this is the biggest thing! Kevin Coplin has not stepped on the floor in the past three games. He has not played one second! He was mad and he was talking about when he got home he was quitting. We already lost Papa and we can't lose Copelin as well. He is our only big guy left and he is full of talent. But can you really blame the kid for wanting to quit. It's not like he is some sorry F team player. Kevin is great and he rebounds and hustles for the ball. He is a great athlete! I just don't ever understand Whitby. Sometimes I just think he is crazy. I really do and a lot of LC people have been mad at him by the way he has been treating these kids. It's really not fair to them. I am not trying to start any arguments and I know he is the coach, but I don't know what is going on with him. Anyway, best of luck to the Falcons therest of the tourney and may we all come back together as one piece!

Lake County lost this game 94-91 in triple overtime. I talked to someone up there and they said all that Lake County had to do was hit their free throws and they'd won by 20 points. We missed too many crucial free throws. At the end of the game, LC was up by three and St.Mary's hit a miracle shot and tied the game and they went into their 1st OT. At the end of the 1st OT, it was the same situation as before and St. Mary's this time hit a 40 foot prayer. So they go into 2nd OT and in the end, Tony Tyler hit a three and put us up by one. St. Mary's got the ball and they either missed a shot or turned it over. Andrew Wallace then got the ball and he was fouled. He made two big free throws and put Lake County up by three with about 3 or 4 seconds to go. LC had the game. I swear if the same thing didn't happen again. They hit a shot from half court and tied the game again! They head into the 3rd OT and LC was just out of gas and they also had Springer, Warlick, and Geanes on the bench fouled out. St. Mary's won 94-91. But this is the funny thing about it all. Tony Tyler didn't come into the game until the middle of the 3rd quarter. Andrew Wallace came in about middle of the second and made 5 strait points and Whitby took him out. He put Andrew back in about midway through the third and he hit 2 strait three's and Whitby sat him out and didn't put him back in until the 2nd OT. I guess he had to when 3 players fouled out. Several times during the game, Whitby had Jackie Johnson, Tremayne Abbott, and Marcus Terry on the floor, while Tony Tyler, Andrew Wallace, and Kevin Coplin sitting on the bench most of the game. I am not taking any credit from these guys, but he had three B team players on the floor at once and 3 of your best players on the bench. And this is the biggest thing! Kevin Coplin has not stepped on the floor in the past three games. He has not played one second! He was mad and he was talking about when he got home he was quitting. We already lost Papa and we can't lose Copelin as well. He is our only big guy left and he is full of talent. But can you really blame the kid for wanting to quit. It's not like he is some sorry F team player. Kevin is great and he rebounds and hustles for the ball. He is a great athlete! I just don't ever understand Whitby. Sometimes I just think he is crazy. I really do and a lot of LC people have been mad at him by the way he has been treating these kids. It's really not fair to them. I am not trying to start any arguments and I know he is the coach, but I don't know what is going on with him. Anyway, best of luck to the Falcons therest of the tourney and may we all come back together as one piece!

i didntmean to quote that...but good post and thats a tough loss for lake co. hope they can rebound and get back on track :rolleyes:

I do not understand why Kevin is not playing more. He is one of three players -- along with Springer and Tony -- that really should never come off the floor. I really, really hope Whitby knows what he's doing. But if he continues to bench one of the best players on the team (and maybe it's for disciplinary reasons, I don't know), it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he does indeed quit once the Falcons get home. If that happens, LC is in big trouble.

And from what I've heard, a couple of our other players are awful, awful close to heading down the same road as Papa. If any of them get into trouble, we can kiss it goodbye. I think Whitby has played around long enough. It's time to start playing to WIN. Bologna sandwiches will only get you so far in life.

Lake County was 23 of 40 from the foul line. Yes, they would have won if they had made more FTs, but they're not 20 points better than St. Mary. Plus, St. Mary is playing without their best shooter (out with a stress fracture) and their 6-7 center that was injured the previous night.

The shot at the end of the first OT was a 40-footer, just a step or two inside halfcourt. The second OT shot was a standard 3-pointer at the buzzer. Both shots could have been prevented if Lake County had played any defense. Lake made no effort to deny Roof (who hit the halfcourt shot) the ball and gave him an unfettered path toward the goal. On the second shot, no one picked up Roof as he crossed halfcourt and passed to the open man on the 3-point line.

Hey dude I agree with your analysis, but was naming the kids that you think are not worthy necessary to make your point. These are kids after all. It's a basketball game not life and death. Not worth bashing a kid and letting the coacht world know exactly who you are talking about. Do you have children? Would you like someone trashing them on here. To quote Forrest Gump "and that's all I have to say about that".

Hey dude I agree with your analysis, but was naming the kids that you think are not worthy necessary to make your point. These are kids after all. It's a basketball game not life and death. Not worth bashing a kid and letting the coacht world know exactly who you are talking about. Do you have children? Would you like someone trashing them on here. To quote Forrest Gump "and that's all I have to say about that".

We must have read this article differently...He said he wasn't bashing the kids..But ..even at that ..he said they were B-team players...I really believe he moved them up on the roster spot..But..you do have A-team and B-team at this level and I have been at most of the games and only about one of those guys mentioned have received any playing time at all..Even with the second string or the first team..But even all the games we have won this year,I have said the same thing about the moves being made..Coach hasn't been playing his best team..And by that I would say that Lake Co has 7 players now that Papa is no long with the team that most people would say could start and not hurt either way..But Whitby is starting 2 or 3 players some nights that probably isn't even in the top 9...But ..he is the coach and supposedely..he knows his talent better than we do..so I'll just let it go at that..But..I will agree with Wes...I sure hate to drive 1oo miles and not see him start his best 5 or at least best 8...I drove to the Greenfield game and he started 3 players that I have not ever seen play before..At least get a big lead first..I had someone that night tell me he wouln't ever drive to another road game against an outmanned opponent..And this was a Lake Co school member...But..if Whitby keeps rotating his players the way he has been doing..we may be the outmanned team..Like Wes said.. A lot of people are surprised at a lot of the moves being made..And we are winning..Plus..the starters aren't even getting to play together enough to get in any kind of chemistry together....And ..I will also agree..if I wasn't playing for three games ..to not even get on the floor..and I know that I am at least on of the top 5..I'll even stretch it out a little...even at the top 7 or 8..and other players were playing that's not even in the top 10..the only reason I wouldn't have already quit would be because I probably wouldn't have had a ride home from Illinois..

We must have read this article differently...He said he wasn't bashing the kids..But ..even at that ..he said they were B-team players...I really believe he moved them up on the roster spot..But..you do have A-team and B-team at this level and I have been at most of the games and only about one of those guys mentioned have received any playing time at all..Even with the second string or the first team..But even all the games we have won this year,I have said the same thing about the moves being made..Coach hasn't been playing his best team..And by that I would say that Lake Co has 7 players now that Papa is no long with the team that most people would say could start and not hurt either way..But Whitby is starting 2 or 3 players some nights that probably isn't even in the top 9...But ..he is the coach and supposedely..he knows his talent better than we do..so I'll just let it go at that..But..I will agree with Wes...I sure hate to drive 1oo miles and not see him start his best 5 or at least best 8...I drove to the Greenfield game and he started 3 players that I have not ever seen play before..At least get a big lead first..I had someone that night tell me he wouln't ever drive to another road game against an outmanned opponent..And this was a Lake Co school member...But..if Whitby keeps rotating his players the way he has been doing..we may be the outmanned team..Like Wes said.. A lot of people are surprised at a lot of the moves being made..And we are winning..Plus..the starters aren't even getting to play together enough to get in any kind of chemistry together....And ..I will also agree..if I wasn't playing for three games ..to not even get on the floor..and I know that I am at least on of the top 5..I'll even stretch it out a little...even at the top 7 or 8..and other players were playing that's not even in the top 10..the only reason I wouldn't have already quit would be because I probably wouldn't have had a ride home from Illinois..

I agree with his analysis and your analysis on Whitby 100 percent. Qouting the name of those kids on here was not necessary.....period. And if you think it was ok and he thinks it was ok then we disagree on that point. I will not be changing my mind on that. If you don't see my point then I guess I won't be changing your mind either. We will just have to agree to disagree. I happen to think the pschye of these children is more important than making your point on coacht. I can live with quite happily with that. Have a good day.

I do not understand why Kevin is not playing more. He is one of three players -- along with Springer and Tony -- that really should never come off the floor. I really, really hope Whitby knows what he's doing. But if he continues to bench one of the best players on the team (and maybe it's for disciplinary reasons, I don't know), it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he does indeed quit once the Falcons get home. If that happens, LC is in big trouble.

And from what I've heard, a couple of our other players are awful, awful close to heading down the same road as Papa. If any of them get into trouble, we can kiss it goodbye. I think Whitby has played around long enough. It's time to start playing to WIN. Bologna sandwiches will only get you so far in life.

I honestly don't think that Whitby cares one way or the other. He is a control freak in my opinion. I guess most coaches( the good ones anyway) are like that. It is their way or the highway. And if he is reading what we are posting on here he is only going to get worse. He is going to do the opposite whatever we think is the right direction to go. So you probably ain't seen nothing yet from General Whitby.

I honestly don't think that Whitby cares one way or the other. He is a control freak in my opinion. I guess most coaches( the good ones anyway) are like that. It is their way or the highway. And if he is reading what we are posting on here he is only going to get worse. He is going to do the opposite whatever we think is the right direction to go. So you probably ain't seen nothing yet from General Whitby.

You're probably right about that..I like the brand of basketball Whitby plays..but two things I wish he would do...don't sub the best players just because the 3 minute mark rolls around every 3 minutes just to give the players a rest..see how the game is going and who is having a good game...And the other...try playing a zone every once in awhile...We may have to try something different if we lose Copeland...Middle College was killing us man to man down low and in rebounding...I'm not sure if they are a great outside shooting team..Just my opinion..But he's the coach...No matter..I still like that he just let's them play..

You're probably right about that..I like the brand of basketball Whitby plays..but two things I wish he would do...don't sub the best players just because the 3 minute mark rolls around every 3 minutes just to give the players a rest..see how the game is going and who is having a good game...And the other...try playing a zone every once in awhile...We may have to try something different if we lose Copeland...Middle College was killing us man to man down low and in rebounding...I'm not sure if they are a great outside shooting team..Just my opinion..But he's the coach...No matter..I still like that he just let's them play..

How many times have you ever seen it happen.... By post season through injuries, kids quit, foul trouble, family trouble, legal trouble, or grade trouble, the team who comes out on top usually gets something from a role player that's well above the norm out of that person. Your greatest strength is your greatest weakness! He's strengthening the weaker links so that his overall depth will enhance his club by the end of the season. Great players on great teams always have to sacrifice minutes for the good of the team! Does this make sense? We don't have the full objective day to day picture of these kids work habits or behaviors. He is also challenging kids at times to see how they react thru adversity! You can rest assured Coach Whitby has thought about all the angles before dealing with players!

How many times have you ever seen it happen.... By post season through injuries, kids quit, foul trouble, family trouble, legal trouble, or grade trouble, the team who comes out on top usually gets something from a role player that's well above the norm out of that person. Your greatest strength is your greatest weakness! He's strengthening the weaker links so that his overall depth will enhance his club by the end of the season. Great players on great teams always have to sacrifice minutes for the good of the team! Does this make sense? We don't have the full objective day to day picture of these kids work habits or behaviors. He is also challenging kids at times to see how they react thru adversity! You can rest assured Coach Whitby has thought about all the angles before dealing with players!

I hope you are right..No doubt he has been in more basketball games than probably any coach still around..