Funniest things seen in a ball game - or at half time.

hedgehog

I saw this stunt used on two occasions by the same coach. Late in the game in a loosing effort when his team was down far too much to catch up and feeling that the game had been poorly officiated, he called time out following a made basket. When the teams returned to the floor he had two defensive players in the forecourt who immediately double teamed the official as the ball was entered into play. With arms raised the two defenders managed to box the official in to the corner. As eight players and one official raced to the other end of the court the flabbergasted official still boxed in at the end line blew his whistle and turned to the coach and demanded to know what was going on. The coach calmly replied that his old coach told him “when you are getting beat you should double team the one who is hurting you the most”. Needless to say he was hit with a technical but he did make his point. :thumb:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dare_2_dream

Many a years ago when i was in elementary, we were playing against a horrible team and was blowing them out, so coach puts in the scrub players, myself included(never was a good basketball player) and we hadnt been in the game for a minute when one of our post players gets a defensive rebound and puts it back for 2 points for the opposing team and starts trying to get high fives(of course no one gave him one, we just stood there and looked at him)! Coach calls a timeout and ask him what he is doing and explained that we took the ball to the other end to score! I am telling you guys, not 3 or 4 minutes later he gets another defensive rebound and does the exact same thing and about the time he turned for a high five, you could see it on his face, he realized what he had done! Everyone couldnt help but laugh, including the kid! :lol:

ive got one that might beat this one ... here is the scene ... 8th grade year, I played at Buchanan Elementary School and we are awful ... we were actually down by 2 in a game one time, imagine that, buchanan in a basketball game ... anyways we ran an out of bounds play with 36 seconds left and i took the ball out ... i threw it in to our post, and my best friend (still to this day), and he got possession of it in the backcourt ... he dribbled a few times, heading to the opponents basket, everyone was screaming at him as he shot the lay up and made it ... he came down to see the whole team shaking their heads in shame, we lost by four ...

i got plenty more will post them later

this one sadly enough is of my own shame....this is an ancient story way back when i was in elementary school playing my last year for east coffee elemetary in coffee co....we were playing our hated rival hillsboro were on a fast break its a 3 on 1...im running down the side and the guy from the other side tries to pass it to our man running down the middle of the floor and it gets deflected as the ball almost goes out of bounds i dive to save it and i dive right into the hillsboro cheerleaders...the ball was recoverd by the other team and they ran back to the other side of the court...and as i was about to run back down to the other side i realized i was missing a shoe...i looked and couldnt find it then it hit me...its in the pile of pom pom's :lol: ...so play is still goin on and im throwin pom poms everywhere trying to find my shoe the cheerleaders are screaming mad because im throwing their stuff everywhere....by the time i find my shoe hillsboro had already scored and the ref finally called time....needless to say at 9 years old i was so embarassed...it was hilarious though looking back

this one sadly enough is of my own shame....this is an ancient story way back when i was in elementary school playing my last year for east coffee elemetary in coffee co....we were playing our hated rival hillsboro were on a fast break its a 3 on 1...im running down the side and the guy from the other side tries to pass it to our man running down the middle of the floor and it gets deflected as the ball almost goes out of bounds i dive to save it and i dive right into the hillsboro cheerleaders...the ball was recoverd by the other team and they ran back to the other side of the court...and as i was about to run back down to the other side i realized i was missing a shoe...i looked and couldnt find it then it hit me...its in the pile of pom pom's :lol: ...so play is still goin on and im throwin pom poms everywhere trying to find my shoe the cheerleaders are screaming mad because im throwing their stuff everywhere....by the time i find my shoe hillsboro had already scored and the ref finally called time....needless to say at 9 years old i was so embarassed...it was hilarious though looking back

Thats hilarious... :D:lol:

Guest dare_2_dream

haha. only you could manage do that friend.

i saw a girls game one time where the tip went up and team #1 got the ball and headed for their own goal, a girl from #2 fouled the girl as she tried to score on her own goal... very humerous to say the least ...

haha. only you could manage do that friend.

i saw a girls game one time where the tip went up and team #1 got the ball and headed for their own goal, a girl from #2 fouled the girl as she tried to score on her own goal... very humerous to say the least ...

haha yea noone knows how to tie their shoes very good when their young

haha i bet that was a long walk back to the foul line for the girl who made the foul :lol:

Guest dare_2_dream

haha yea noone knows how to tie their shoes very good when their young

haha i bet that was a long walk back to the foul line for the girl who made the foul :thumb:

yeah sad thing is ... it was high school basketball, not elementary or anything ha ... everyone laughed, even the coaches from both sides ...

earlier this week, in the Daniel Boone - Dobyns Bennett boys game, a Dobyns-Bennett player dove and tried to tie the ball up, and he and the Boone player got tangled up and hit the floor, sliding out of bounds. When the Dobyns-Bennett player got up, his shorts were at his ankles, and he was standing there in his compression shorts.

embarassing................................

:lol: I love watching high school basketball, because the kids on the court play (for the most part) for the pure love of the game. Sometimes all that intensity and effort creates some very funny things happening. Referees (even though this thread is not about referrees) do funny things too.

Probably the funniest things I've seen this year all happened in one game. In a boys game, a player on the wing made a pass to a teammate cutting through the lane. The cutting player turned his head as he cut away from the ball and got hit in the back of the head with the ball. The ball bounced off his head, hit the guy who was guarding him and almost went in the basket. In the same game, the referee called a technical foul on someone in the crowd and charged it to the home team. (This person was across the floor from the bench so it could not have come from the bench). The third and final thing was when a ref was trying to get in the right position on the floor and tripped the player with the ball coming across half court on a fast break. Even though these things were funny to me, I realize they may not have been so funny to the teams involved or their fans. :thumb:

In the same game, the referee called a technical foul on someone in the crowd and charged it to the home team. (This person was across the floor from the bench so it could not have come from the bench).

Believe it or not...this is legal. The referee has the right to do this as long as he KNOWS who to charge the technical to. It's in the TSSAA referee case book.