Funniest things seen in a ball game - or at half time.

hedgehog

I saw this stunt used on two occasions by the same coach. Late in the game in a loosing effort when his team was down far too much to catch up and feeling that the game had been poorly officiated, he called time out following a made basket. When the teams returned to the floor he had two defensive players in the forecourt who immediately double teamed the official as the ball was entered into play. With arms raised the two defenders managed to box the official in to the corner. As eight players and one official raced to the other end of the court the flabbergasted official still boxed in at the end line blew his whistle and turned to the coach and demanded to know what was going on. The coach calmly replied that his old coach told him “when you are getting beat you should double team the one who is hurting you the most”. Needless to say he was hit with a technical but he did make his point. :P

Now that is really hilarious :D

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a retired 30+ year referee and I've certainly seen a lot of funny things in the 800 or so games I've been a part of. I'll share just one. It was a middle school game and on the opening tip Team A player got the ball in Team As backcourt and headed toward Team Bs basket with the obvious attempt to make a layup for the wrong team. Just before the player released the ball, I blew my whistle and gave a ten second backcourt violation and nullified the made basket. Team Bs coach yelled out," That was a very fast 10 seconds wasn't it??!!! I yelled back," It depends on whether you are counting by 1's or 5's" and the whole gym broke up laughing.