Loretto at Giles Co. - How will Loretto do?

PageMan

Loretto travels to Pulaski for a district game against Giles Co. on Friday. Jana Cross suffered a sprained ankle against Lewis Co. on Tuesday and probably will miss the game Friday. How will Loretto adjust their game to account for her absence? Traditionally, Loretto has had some trouble at Giles so maybe this upcoming game will be closer than most think. What's your opinion of the situation?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Other food for thought - who starts in place of Jana Cross? Does Coach Christy Green go with Mandy Cross or does she go with a taller lineup by using Dava Dickson or is there some other player that has been playing well recently? Here is the Loretto roster with the starters I would go with in bold:

Mandy Cross

Jessica Green

Beth Brown

Tia Moore

Leah Stone

Heather Duncan

Nikki Reed

Jana Cross - injured

Dava Dickson

Sara Brewer

The next thing to ponder: What will Giles Co Coach Scott Hannah do?

He has a roster of 16 players so he has more options.

Here is the Giles Co. roster with anticipated starters in bold:

Omega Garrett

Monique Wong

Jenny Brewer

Aljanise Ewing

Akoya Nelson

Marquessia Davidson

Nikki Lewellyn

Chasity Strong

Vee Young

Kayla Gowan

Lauren Jenkins

Tiffany Wall

Hope Garrett

Monika Coleman

Gabby Garner

Nikita Hightower

I look for either Dava or Mandy (most likely Mandy) to start in her place. The one thing that Loretto has going for them is that they are not a one star team. Everynight each player on the team plays a big part in the win (even the bench). Yes, Jana being out will hurt a little, but they will not crumble because of it.

Go Lady Mustang's

I agree with the above - Loretto should win by at least 15. Variables will be what kind of game Giles' Vee Young will have - will she be up or down? Three point shooting - Giles' Nikki Lewellyn vs Loretto's Leah Stone. Guard play - Giles' Aljanise Ewing vs Loretto's Jessica Green. I not sure how the other starters will matchup, but it should be a pretty good game.

Glad to see you post, tiredbbmom - I thought maybe you had left after that other topic about Lawrence Co. and Columbia got out of hand.

Looking forward to being there early for a good seat.

Who do think will have a better post game - Loretto's Sarah Brewer or Giles' Vee Young? I have seen Young have off nights, but there was one game where she had 8 or 10 pts in the 1st qtr. Brewer may be the more consistent, however, and I believe she can get postion better. What's your opinion? And don't forget Loretto's Dava Dickson and Giles' Marquessia Davidson. These secondary post players could also be a factor in the game.

Glad to see you post, tiredbbmom - I thought maybe you had left after that other topic about Lawrence Co. and Columbia got out of hand.

Thanks Pageman, it would take a lot more than that. I've got pretty thick skin. I look forward to your stats and comments from this game. Hope to see you soon.

Best of luck to the Lady Mustangs. Bring home a victory.

Loretto wins without Cross but after seeing the Lady Mustangs first hand

last week I can't say I came away overly impressed.

I've seen a lot better Lady Mustang teams in years past, coming to mind quickly

are the last two.

They are the best in the district by far but this is the weakest girls

basketball I've seen in many many years.

Loretto wins without Cross but after seeing the Lady Mustangs first hand

last week I can't say I came away overly impressed.

I've seen a lot better Lady Mustang teams in years past, coming to mind quickly

are the last two.

They are the best in the district by far but this is the weakest girls

basketball I've seen in many many years.

Wow, they must be up and down. They lost earlier to a team they should have not lost too and when I saw them at the Christmas tourney, they looked unbeatable. And I do not want to hear about the weak Alabama teams they played. They played some teams that would give any team up hear a run for their money. At that Tourney, they looked like a well-oiled machine. Wonder what the problem is? If they are an up and down team, as it appears from your comments, they WILL NOT win state. Hope they get it together. Good luck Mustangs. :thumb: