Mocco loses in national dual finals

Hamm

He has been beaten but has not yet been dethroned. All we can do is hope that he wins the nationals. Hamm you would know this question?

I do not remember Mocco ever getting pin before in his career do you?

It has been a good 8 years (so i heard his teammates and crowd discussing). it didnt take long for the pin though.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has been beaten but has not yet been dethroned. All we can do is hope that he wins the nationals. Hamm you would know this question?

I do not remember Mocco ever getting pin before in his career do you?

He may not have been pinned recently in his folkstyle career but it was during the most recent World Team Trials that Tolly Thompson pinned him.

I knew that. Tolly Thompson is a real good wrestler. He was dominating every wrestler there at the trial.

Tolly did have a good year this year, he seems to be finally coming into his own. He definitely shut the door on Mocco and then goes on to bring home a shared bronze medal in the World Championships. It was nice to see Tolly bring it home given how long he has been competing... definitely a case of someone who paid their dues behind a few other world class U.S. Heavyweights.

Tolly did have a good year this year, he seems to be finally coming into his own. He definitely shut the door on Mocco and then goes on to bring home a shared bronze medal in the World Championships. It was nice to see Tolly bring it home given how long he has been competing... definitely a case of someone who paid their dues behind a few other world class U.S. Heavyweights.

you are right about that. He had to stay behind Kerry McCoy for the last two Olympics, he said he was going to try to go to the 2008 Olympics for the United States hopefully this will be his time to go.

I've followed Mocco for a few years and it doesn't appear that he has developed anymore physically. He appears to be complacent and unconditioned in comparison. Still an outstanding wrestler by the highest standards.

In contrast, you can see the off season work in Konrad. A little more beef and conditioning and Mocco might not have gotten locked up and thrown.

yea I watched that match

RealBossHog, Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance. adsom@bellsouth.net

Schlatter, a TRUE freshman who competes at 149 pounds, is now 28-1, I believe, where his older brother has 4 losses so far. Hasn't this kid made an impact Nationally so far?

He won all of his matches during the 2006 NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals, held in Cedar Falls, Iowa, Jan. 14-15. Schlatter’s victories helped lead the Gophers, ranked No. 2 going into the event, to the team title with a thrilling victory over No. 1 Oklahoma State.

Along the way, Schlatter, who had a No. 8 national ranking in his weight class prior to the weekend, beat three athletes who were seeded higher than him nationally, including the defending NCAA champion.

In the first round dual meet, Schlatter defeated No. 3 John Masa of Hofstra, 6-0. Minnesota won the dual meet over Hofstra, 28-7.

In the quarterfinal round dual meet, Schlatter scored an 11-1 major decision over Jason Knipp of Iowa State. Minnesota won the match over Iowa State, 32-6.

In the semfinal match, Schlatter stopped No. 4 Mark DiSalvo of Central Michigan, 4-1. Schlatter avenged his only loss of the season, a 1-0 loss to DiSalvo in a dual meet against CMU held during the Northeast Duals held in Albany, N.Y. on November 26. Minnesota won their National Duals semifinal match 20-15 over Central Michigan.

In the championship finals dual meet, Schlatter upset defending NCAA champion and No. 2 ranked Zack Esposito of Oklahoma State in a wide open 8-7 battle. His victory, along with heavyweight Cole Konrad’s pin over OSU’s NCAA champion Steve Mocco, were among the highlights of Minnesota’s 21-14 win over Oklahoma State.

Based upon his success at the National Duals, Schlatter jumped to a No. 2 national ranking in his weight class in the NWCA/Intermat Div. I Individual Rankings released January 17. In addition, Minnesota took over the No. 1 team ranking in the national poll, moving ahead of Oklahoma State for the top spot. What an impact!!!

It pays to be good on your feet!!

Edited by Sommers