Cumberland County High School

lovethegame12

Is it fact or rumor about Tim Smith leaving CCHS for Stone Memorial?

Coach Smith has said he wants to go to Stone Memorial. There haven't been any formal announcements of the basketball coaches.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And you forgot to mention that there are also WV loyalists that teach and coach at Ocoee (which for the record used to be called Bradley Jr. High) and their influence is also quite obvious.

I hope so! Ocoee is the feeder school for Walker Valley. Ocoee students have a bus zone to Walker Valley. The key word is used to. Since they did not build a new middle school to strictly feed WV, they changed the name and the zone to give WV a feeder school. Most people would hope that the coaches and teachers at your feeder school are loyal to you. Unfortunately for WV, that is not the case at Ocoee. I am not blaming those teachers and coaches because most were there before the change took place and were former Bradley students themselves. I am friends with most of them. However, it is still a disadvantage to an up and coming school to have a split in loyalties at their feeder school. Maybe I explained myself better this time.

I hope so! Ocoee is the feeder school for Walker Valley. Ocoee students have a bus zone to Walker Valley. The key word is used to. Since they did not build a new middle school to strictly feed WV, they changed the name and the zone to give WV a feeder school. Most people would hope that the coaches and teachers at your feeder school are loyal to you. Unfortunately for WV, that is not the case at Ocoee. I am not blaming those teachers and coaches because most were there before the change took place and were former Bradley students themselves. I am friends with most of them. However, it is still a disadvantage to an up and coming school to have a split in loyalties at their feeder school. Maybe I explained myself better this time.

How did this turn into a Walker Valley and Bradley post???? I thought we were talking about Cumberland County.

As previously mentioned, to combat recruiting, and hopefully make things as fair as possible, the school board has stated that a strict zoning policy will be enforced.

This will be done by using the zoning for the elementary schools as the factor to determine which high school the students will be eligible to attend.

Currently, four schools will feed CCHS, and five will feed SMHS, but the numbers of students will be comparable. There are talks of building a new elemtary school in the near future, so my guess is that the number of schools will be balanced at that time.

Also, as mentioned, the talent should be fairly balanced coming from the various elementary schools with the two traditionally strongest elementary schools in girls bball each feeding one of the high schools.

However, there will be a glaring discrepancy the first year or two after the split, because it is my understanding that the majority of the returning players on the current CCHS team are zoned for the new school.

Add to the fact that SMHS will get to play in AA next year, while CCHS will have to remain in 5AAA, then CCHS will be at a disadvantage until they can move down to AA the following year.

I've heard from my sister(who plays for Coach Smith) that Coach Smith will be going to Stone Memorial. I can also tell you a lot of the girls still want to play for him and next years seniors have the option to pick the school they want will probably go to Stone to play for him. Quiet a few of the underclassman are zoned for Stone but in a couple of years the competition should even out and be pretty fair again.

I've heard from my sister(who plays for Coach Smith) that Coach Smith will be going to Stone Memorial. I can also tell you a lot of the girls still want to play for him and next years seniors have the option to pick the school they want will probably go to Stone to play for him. Quiet a few of the underclassman are zoned for Stone but in a couple of years the competition should even out and be pretty fair again.

Where in Cumberland Co. is the new school being built ??

As previously mentioned, to combat recruiting, and hopefully make things as fair as possible, the school board has stated that a strict zoning policy will be enforced.

This will be done by using the zoning for the elementary schools as the factor to determine which high school the students will be eligible to attend.

Currently, four schools will feed CCHS, and five will feed SMHS, but the numbers of students will be comparable. There are talks of building a new elemtary school in the near future, so my guess is that the number of schools will be balanced at that time.

Also, as mentioned, the talent should be fairly balanced coming from the various elementary schools with the two traditionally strongest elementary schools in girls bball each feeding one of the high schools.

However, there will be a glaring discrepancy the first year or two after the split, because it is my understanding that the majority of the returning players on the current CCHS team are zoned for the new school.

Add to the fact that SMHS will get to play in AA next year, while CCHS will have to remain in 5AAA, then CCHS will be at a disadvantage until they can move down to AA the following year.

A number of the returning players for the girls team has the option of attending either school. Simply because they are either seniors (which I understand can choose where they finish) or they have a parent that lives in each school zone. It should be very interesting how this all comes out.

A number of the returning players for the girls team has the option of attending either school. Simply because they are either seniors (which I understand can choose where they finish) or they have a parent that lives in each school zone. It should be very interesting how this all comes out.

The Seniors can only choose where they finish if they are zoned for Stone. If they are zoned for CCHS they have to finish there.

does the T$$AA transfer rules apply to this situation or does the new school zone laws take precedence?

I'm assuming that school board policy takes precedence.

As JetFan stated, those Seniors-to-be who would be zoned for SMHS have the option to have their senior year at CCHS, if they desire. However, if a Senior-to-be were zoned for CCHS, they could not move to SMHS for their senior year.