franklin or brentwood part 2

valid_remarks

just wanted to know the opinions to see who you think will win this one. in my personal opionion. i pick brentwood to win. i think that brentwood's defense is pretty solid. i know that this season they appear to have some up and down nights with shooting but the defense is always there. i personally think they are underrated. they only lost to harpeth by what three the first time they played and they couldn't score and lost the second time. they only lost by eight or nine to smyrna because they had to foul at the end. i think that brentwood is going to suprise some people just as they did last year. but i think that brentwood's defense will be too much for franklin. then brentwood will still have an opportunity to be 1st in district 11-aaa by taking care of hilsboro on feb.13.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember Brentwood "surprising" anyone last year, or this year for that matter. Brentwood is an average team in a bad district. To there credit, they have won every game they were supposed to. They are always well coached and keep some games close that they shouldn't (at least on paper). That being said, when it comes to the region, don't be surprised to see Brentwood pull an upset if they draw someone other than Antioch and Hunters Lane.

As for Franklin, they are up and down. They could play well and win handily or they could play poorly and lose by 30.

One other thing about Brentwood, it is amazing how much everyone in the district wants to beat them. I don't really understand it. I think many teams have a mental block because they want to beat them so badly they can't perform. I think this is the case for Franklin.

Who did they surprise last year?

I think Brentwood surprised Franklin last year beating them twice during the regular season. Franklin returned 4 of their top 6 players from a region semi-finalist team in '03-'04 while Brentwood had graduated their top 5 off their state tournament team the same year and played a bunch of Freshmen & Sophomores, 2 returning seniors and a transfer senior point guard. Franklin got their revenge in the district tournament and went on to upset Hillsboro for the tournament championship.

Brentwood did make the regionals again which also surprised many '04-'05 preseason predictors.

As to why everyone dislikes Brentwood, It may have to do with the fact that they had won the district several years in a row prior to last year when Hillsboro won it, and they have been to regionals like 10 years in a row, sectional 4 times out of those 10 and made the state 1 time 9('04-'05). People tend to dislike teams that consistently beat them.

You were surprised they made the regions? Did you think Hillwoood was going to knock them out, lol.They play in a week 3a district, and the region is week as well. They never have to play teams like Lawrence County, Columbia, or Shebyville to get to state and they have only been there once since I can remember and they chocked in that game. They always have above average talent and should have more to show for it that one game in the Boro. That is what's surprising.

You were surprised they made the regions? Did you think Hillwoood was going to knock them out, lol.They play in a week 3a district, and the region is week as well. They never have to play teams like Lawrence County, Columbia, or Shebyville to get to state and they have only been there once since I can remember and they chocked in that game. They always have above average talent and should have more to show for it that one game in the Boro. That is what's surprising.

BHS plays where and who they are told to play and generally tries to play top competion in their out of district games. No doubt their schedule could be tougher but geography places them where they are and traditionally they are one of the top teams in the district & region.

And yes, last year, given the returning talent I was surprised they made it to the regional tourney.

Regarding how many time they have made it to state in their 10 year run to regionals, that answer was to the question about why the district opponents all disliked Brentwood. I suspect they would have preferred to get to state more often, but I'll stand by my answer in the context to which it was given.

Edited by hoopitup3

Just to set things straight, as far as district tournament championships go, Brentwood has won 2 in the last 6 years. (I think they did win the two previos to that, but I don't remember so I didn't want to state something wrong.) They have been at the top of the district during those years, but not always on top. (Franklin won once, Hillsboro once, Overton twice) I think that is probably why people want to beat them. The same reason everyone hates (or loves) Duke. We all want to beat the best.

Brentwood has made two tate tournaments in the last 8 years, losing in the first round both times. 11-AAA is weak this year, but has been pretty solid in previous years. Hillsboro is always good and has been for the last ten years. Overton had a run of good teams and Franklin was pretty good last year. Now 12-AAA has been down, but they are very good this year. Antioch, Hunters Lane, McGavock, Whites Creek, and Glencliff have all beaten or almost beaten some really good midstate teams this year. It will be tough for them to beat a team like Smyrna oWilson Central, Mt. Juliet, or Dickson County in a substate game, but so would just about everyone else in the state.

Edited by Metroman

I def. agree that both teams are playing in a WEAK district. If Franklin plays the way they are capable of, they can win. The last time they played, Franklin's defense inside was really bad and their starter, Harrison, wasn't allowed to start for some reason. Brentwood really doesn't have any strong talent & they ARE NOT UNDER-RATED... if anything possibly OVER RATED!!! Franklin is definately capable of winning the game tonight.. it just depends on if they show up ready to play.

As for Metroman's comment about B-wood's winning history- that is why Duke is hated, but that's not why everyone (hates) B-wood so much... i mean, everyone hates Ravenwood just as much. It's B-wood's attitude after winning. Like two years ago when Dougger claimed Coach Pantall had elbowed her so hard in the ribs while shaking hands that she had a bruise!!!

As for their winning history and all, those years the District 11 & 12 were down like District 11 is now. And if I remember correctly, whenever B-wood has gone to state they have been put out in the first round. Anyway the their past achievements have nothing to do with how well they do this year.

Edited by bballbabe24

I def. agree that both teams are playing in a WEAK district. If Franklin plays the way they are capable of, they can win. The last time they played, Franklin's defense inside was really bad and their starter, Harrison, wasn't allowed to start for some reason. Brentwood really doesn't have any strong talent & they ARE NOT UNDER-RATED... if anything possibly OVER RATED!!! Franklin is definately capable of winning the game tonight.. it just depends on if they show up ready to play.

As for Metroman's comment about B-wood's winning history- that is why Duke is hated, but that's not why everyone (hates) B-wood so much... i mean, everyone hates Ravenwood just as much. It's B-wood's attitude after winning. Like two years ago when Dougger claimed Coach Pantall had elbowed her so hard in the ribs while shaking hands that she had a bruise!!!

As for their winning history and all, those years the District 11 & 12 were down like District 11 is now. And if I remember correctly, whenever B-wood has gone to state they have been put out in the first round. Anyway the their past achievements have nothing to do with how well they do this year.

Sorry but I missed where Brentwood was rated at all much less over rated, unless it was in the district standing and those cannot be disputed. Now Franklin could very well win tonight, but that still won't change those standings.

I don't know that all the district 11 AAA teams hate Ravenwood as they do Brentwood. I suspect that is mainly a Franklin sentiment.

As for Pantall, are you sure that he didn't do it?