Clarksville-Host of the State Duals

sly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article published Feb 1, 2006

PREP WRESTLING

TSSAA director: CHS outstanding site for state duals

By JAMES D. HORNE

The Leaf-Chronicle

As far as the Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association is concerned, the city of Clarksville and Clarksville High will be the home of the state wrestling duals for as long as it's wanted here.

"I think the answer is you can never say it will be (in Clarksville) forever," TSSAA Executive Director Ronnie Carter said. "But it's been a great situation mainly because of the combination of things we look for in a sight: the facilities, (state duals tournament director) Artie Manning, (CHS assistant principal) John Miller, all the people at Clarksville High including Jeff Jordan, the hotels, the people in the city, the restaurants and all the hospitality."

"Plus the coverage (from The Leaf-Chronicle), with all that, Clarksville has just been the thing you look for when you look for a sight."

The state duals, which start Friday and end Saturday, have been held in Clarksville since 2000, and is bid upon every year. The tournament began in 1989.

"When it started (in Clarksville), it felt good and it has just gotten better and better," Carter said. "We make our decision year-to-year. After the event is finished, every year we tell Clarksville High how we understand what a tough task it is to host the duals and how hard it is, but they do a great job with it."

Since coming to Clarksville, the state duals have grown by leaps and bounds.

The first five years the duals were held at Clarksville High, only the top eight teams from Division I and II competed.

Then last year, the TSSAA added a four-team championship for schools in Class A-AA, which was won by Franklin Road Academy.

The TSSAA upped the ante this year by adding eight more teams to the Class AAA portion, bringing the total number of teams coming to Clarksville on Friday to 30.

"The one great thing about the state duals is that it's been a great tournament every year," Carter said. "The negative has been the fact it's been the same teams over and over with Clarksville High, Soddy Daisy, Bradley, Father Ryan, etc. ..."

"It almost became an invitational, which is not good for the sport. With the new blood coming in, it won't take away from the successful programs. But it will add excitement for the new schools, like Ravenwood, coming in."

Franklin won the Class AAA title last year, breaking Bradley Central's two-year reign, while Baylor won its third Division II crown

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Article published Feb 1, 2006

PREP WRESTLING

TSSAA director: CHS outstanding site for state duals

By JAMES D. HORNE

The Leaf-Chronicle

As far as the Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Association is concerned, the city of Clarksville and Clarksville High will be the home of the state wrestling duals for as long as it's wanted here.

"I think the answer is you can never say it will be (in Clarksville) forever," TSSAA Executive Director Ronnie Carter said. "But it's been a great situation mainly because of the combination of things we look for in a sight: the facilities, (state duals tournament director) Artie Manning, (CHS assistant principal) John Miller, all the people at Clarksville High including Jeff Jordan, the hotels, the people in the city, the restaurants and all the hospitality."

"Plus the coverage (from The Leaf-Chronicle), with all that, Clarksville has just been the thing you look for when you look for a sight."

The state duals, which start Friday and end Saturday, have been held in Clarksville since 2000, and is bid upon every year. The tournament began in 1989.

"When it started (in Clarksville), it felt good and it has just gotten better and better," Carter said. "We make our decision year-to-year. After the event is finished, every year we tell Clarksville High how we understand what a tough task it is to host the duals and how hard it is, but they do a great job with it."

Since coming to Clarksville, the state duals have grown by leaps and bounds.

The first five years the duals were held at Clarksville High, only the top eight teams from Division I and II competed.

Then last year, the TSSAA added a four-team championship for schools in Class A-AA, which was won by Franklin Road Academy.

The TSSAA upped the ante this year by adding eight more teams to the Class AAA portion, bringing the total number of teams coming to Clarksville on Friday to 30.

"The one great thing about the state duals is that it's been a great tournament every year," Carter said. "The negative has been the fact it's been the same teams over and over with Clarksville High, Soddy Daisy, Bradley, Father Ryan, etc. ..."

"It almost became an invitational, which is not good for the sport. With the new blood coming in, it won't take away from the successful programs. But it will add excitement for the new schools, like Ravenwood, coming in."

Franklin won the Class AAA title last year, breaking Bradley Central's two-year reign, while Baylor won its third Division II crown

Great article. Glad to see Josh Peck's hard work recognized @ Ravenwood.

Hey, Science Hill and MBA may add a little new blood as far as bring home some hardware,,, who knows what may happen when it's all said and done (on that given day...)

Ronnie Carter said. "But it's been a great situation mainly because of the combination of things we look for in a sight: the facilities???????????????, (state duals tournament director) Artie Manning, (CHS assistant principal) John Miller, all the people at Clarksville High including Jeff Jordan, the hotels, the people in the city, the restaurants and all the hospitality."

I'll second the kudos on everything except the facilities. The folks in charge do a fantastic job, but surely there is a larger venue with seating on both sides of the mats so that the fans can literally "get behind" their team - maybe APU or the Clarksville convention center?

Edited by walkenvol

I'll second the kudos on everything except the facilities. The folks in charge do a fantastic job, but surely there is a larger venue with seating on both sides of the mats so that the fans can literally "get behind" their team - maybe APU or the Clarksville convention center?

They have one bathroom for fans upstairs and it is never cleaned. There must be a better / bigger place than Clarksville.

The people that have been involved with running the duals have been nothing but hospitable - my pet peeve - the D2 which sometimes can have some pretty exciting matches, even in the semi-finals, has always been on the far side(no seating) of the gym. If they must have certain matches in a harder to view area , why not rotate

that situation. - JT

Edited by deaddux

Guys We will try to do better on the bathrooms, first I've heard of it. I know the past two years we have put one DI match up front and one in the back while we do the same for DII. As far as moving the tournament to APSU no can do, as with everwhere else basketball is king and they want too much money. But keep the sugestions coming we want to make it the best we can.

Edited by CHSCOACH

As far as moving the tournament to APSU no can do, as with everwhere else basketball is king and they want too much money. But keep the sugestions coming we want to make it the best we can.

I've never been to APU, so I don't know how much of an improvement it would be. But if the mats could be placed so that the fans were seated closer and on both sides, I for one would gladly pay a couple of dollars more for the improvement. If I was marketing a college, I would embrace any event that brought a number of high school students and their parents to my campus as they are the prospective customers? Pretty short sighted view by APU IMHO. Again, kudos on everything else.

If I read the article correctly the TSSAA said that the bid is open yearly. If there is a group interested in moving the event to the Williamson County Center they need to get a bid package ready now in preparation for next year. The only thing that I don't like about the Clarksville gym is the mats on the far side of the gym. There is really nothing they can do to remedy it. Everything else that the Clarksville coaches, boosters and local businesses has done has been excellent.