hog signo vinces

ut18vols

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Latin. It means "In This Sign You Will Conquer."

"In Hoc Signo Vinces"

"in hoc signo vinces": In this sign thou shalt conquer. (The motto is said to have been adopted by Constantine after his vision of a cross in the heavens just before his decisive battle with Maxentius, A.D. 312.)

"In Hoc Signo Vinces"

"in hoc signo vinces": In this sign thou shalt conquer. (The motto is said to have been adopted by Constantine after his vision of a cross in the heavens just before his decisive battle with Maxentius, A.D. 312.)

Thank you, matfan, for correcting my grammar and for providing more historical detail. I am also familiar with the story of Constantine as is Coach Henry, I'm sure. We are both Sigma Chi's. The motto and Constantine play a large part in our fraternity.

Edited by CoachBlair

Thank you, matfan, for correcting my grammar and for providing more historical detail. I am also familiar with the story of Constantine as is Coach Henry, I'm sure. We are both Sigma Chi's. The motto and Constantine play a large part in our fraternity.

I am a Sigma Chi too.

Yes it does in fact mean "In this sign you will conquer" The motto was given to Constantine by an angel before the battle. He was also instructed to have his soldiers (or "militi" if we keep with the Latin) to paint the holy cross onto their battle shields and standards. While I am longed on I would like to express my sincerest congratulations to the McCallie wrestling team and coaches for their sate dual tournament win. This win shows that upsets can happen so lets all just "Cave Canem" (Fear the Dawg).

I've always been under the impression that it was not a cross that was revealed in the vision, but the Chi and Rho in a symbolic form. The Chi and Rho translate into the first three letters of Christ's name...Chi is the 'Ch' and Rho is the 'R' I believe. It is also seen throughout Catholic/Lutheran churches and even in the YMCA's official logo. It looks like a 'P' with a 'X' across it. This was the symbol that I've always thought was on all of Constantine's soldiers shields and helmets...at least that's what I read in an art history book while in college. I'm probably wrong, so be gentle.