DII Regions

gvitallugot

What happened to Father Ryan Girls Basketball??

To answer this question in a fair and objective manner, you must consider all of the facts, over the entire season. Please consider and evaluate the following;

It is the rookie season for the new head coach. Although she had many, many, seasons as an assistant, being the head coach is a different animal.

The announcement of the new head coach in March of 2005 was generally received very well by the players and the parents.

After graduating so many seniors from last years team, expectations for this year’s team was low. This took a great deal of pressure off the coaches and the players. This was a re-building year, no-one expected much from the team.

Through off-season workouts and fall ball, the team attitude was good and getting better.

As the season started, the coach used fresh ideas, she constantly mixed up the combinations with different players. Some combinations worked better than others.

Then comes December! First signs of trouble. We have three wins under our belt. We start to get confident. Some players start to show up late for practice, and they don’t care. Some of these same players talk through drills, and they don’t care. Some players don’t learn or don’t want to learn the plays and strategies for each week’s games, and they don’t care. Some players don’t want to practice their free throws at the end of practice, and they don’t care!

The rotation of playing different combinations of players stops. The new and fresh ideas stop. Playing time increases drastically for some and diminishes for others.

Here comes more trouble. Some players make the same mistakes over and over again in the game and they don’t come out. Other players make one mistake in a game, when they are given very minimal playing time, and out they come. Again, sending the message of a double standard!

There are two particular guards that should not be on the floor at the same time.

They don’t listen and run the assigned plays.

They only pass to each other.

They only want to launch 3 point shots, while their percentage stinks!

They never try to drive and draw the fowl.

They never foul when told to do so.

They do not want to conform and follow directions.

They do not want to carry on the traditions at Father Ryan.

They do not attempt to play defense.

They never, never try to work the ball down low.

They are very critical and negative to their teammates, although they find it very hard to take constructive criticism from the coaches or their teammates.

They do not understand that there is no I in TEAM!

Some of these kids miss practice because they are “sick”, but they show up the next day, completely healthy, ready, and expecting to play in the game.

Now we are well into January. We are approx. 17 and 6 at the end of this month. The team has watched this double standard grow. There are now at least two sets of rules or standards to follow.

Coach went from mixing up the line up and working all of the players into the games when possible, to playing only a select few.

The other girls always come to practice and work just as hard for a chance to play. They know that they have to earn it, but when one of the “chosen few” has a bad game, bad attitude, or worse, coach does not take them out and give the others a chance. Remember, in tournament time, your team is only as strong as your weakest player.

Here comes Ensworth. The wheels come off of the wagon. A certain player is playing. When she is taken out because of a poor performance, she throws a tantrum and openly calls the coach a “######” and also questions why the coach took other players out also. Fortunately, the assistant coach heard these comments, and called a time out. The assistant conveyed this information to the head coach. The head coach did address these negative comments. Yes, the coach got in her face! But, she only benched this player for one period. Yes, only 8 minutes. This rocked the foundation. All of the other players thought that the coach would have and should have benched her for several games. No coach should put up with blatant display of disrespect from a student athlete. If this player had done this in a class room setting, she would have wound up in the office. Now we have the other players in disbelief, dismayed and discouraged. What do they have to do to get playing time? Now the foundation has many cracks in it and is breaking up.

Mid February, we travel to JP II, and due to the very poor weather, we arrive 6 minutes prior to the scheduled tip off time. The start of the game was delayed slightly. Our kids were never relaxed, and comfortable in that setting. We shot terrible. We played terrible.

Coach lived and died with certain players in a set line up. Coach did not use her depth on the bench. She did not try other combinations. When she did sub, it was just a token, so that she could talk to one of the other players briefly, and then put them back in the game.

At this point in the season, most of the non starters are getting less than two minutes total playing time. Normally, this is just how it is. But in our case, we, as a team, are not improving, we as individual players, are not improving. We have stopped trying to develop the sixth, seventh, and the eighth, players. Especially bad, when the starters are not working together and they are not getting the job done. This is one area where I have a problem. We lose to JP II and we get spanked by Brentwood Academy, but hey, we are 19 and 8 at the end of the season. Nobody thought that we would have this record.

Meanwhile, the cracks in the foundation now explode. After the Brentwood Academy game on Tuesday evening 2/14, just prior to starting the Regional Tournament, it is announced that a certain player, aka “Miss Thing”, according to the other players, will miss the practices scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, of that coming weekend. It is also said that she will miss the opening round of the Division II Middle Region Tournament on Monday February 20th. The reason given to her team is that she is going away to play in an impact volleyball tournament. Tough crap basketball team! The players are confused, disappointed, and mad. Several capable players sit the bench and wait their turn, a turn that never comes, playing behind “Miss Thing”. Many parents are very upset. What message does this send? It happens that “Miss Thing” is sick on Wednesday, and Thursday, and not in school. She was not at any of those practices, nor was she at practice on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. She was not at the shoot around at Father Ryan on Monday, prior to the game. She does not know any of the plays put in for the BGA game.

It does get worse. On Monday February 20th. The girls are at JP II to play BGA in their opening round of the regional tournament. This team has beaten BGA twice, 55 to 21 and then 58 to 34. Father Ryan is the number 2 seed and BGA is the number 7 seed.

Here it comes…

“Miss Thing” arrives just prior to the half of the tournament game. Father Ryan is leading by a score of 28 to 22. The team is very late coming out of the locker room to start the second half. BGA has taken the court, the officials are ready to start, and Father Ryan comes out less that one minute prior to the buzzer. No coaches in sight, the Father Ryan players are trying to decide which players take the court. Then out of the locker room comes “Miss Thing”. She takes her seat on the bench and waits. In less than three minutes, “Miss Thing” is put into the game. She has not been with the team and practiced since Tuesday the 14th, six days ago. This is just WRONG!!!

You can see the disappointment on the faces of the Father Ryan girls. You can easily hear the disappointment and concern from the Father Ryan parents. I must say that I was also disappointed. What message did this send to the players? What message did this send to the parents? And what message did this send to “Miss Thing”? By the way, “Miss Thing” scores 4 stinking points in the second half. If you evaluate the facts, if you look at the damage done, if you remember that Father Ryan was ahead at the start of the second half, what positives can possible be taken from this? What a bunch of crap! “Miss Thing” brought nothing to the game, and in fact, I believe by playing her, the overall effect was that it cost us the game.

With “Miss Thing” on the floor, we became a different type of team. We became three players instead of five players on the court. Two guards and a post. And to make it worse, these particular three do not play good defense. We were out prepared, and out coached. They were better prepared for us than we were for them. I am confident in the fact that we overlooked them. We got beat, but I don’t think we got out played. Our coach went brain dead, thinking that she could only win with a part-time “Miss Thing”! What is worse is the damage to the team, the girls now see how things really are. They are no longer puppies, they have had their eyes opened. How hard is it going to be to get the future dedication and respect of both the players and the parents when you put your “dumb goggles” on?

I am very upset and disappointed. My hat is off to a great effort by the BGA girls, and I hope that they beat JP II. I have always donated financial support to the school in the past, but no longer. I’m out. I strongly feel that the coach needs to publicly address this situation with the team as well as the parents. After all, we are the ones driving them to and from practice. We are the ones buying the candles. We are the ones cutting short holiday visits to be back for basketball. We are the ones paying for the camps. I for one, feel wronged, and feel we deserve an apology. I don’t care if the kid wants to play six sports, if you make a commitment to the team in a sport in season, then that should take priority. I feel that the coach, “Miss Thing”, and Miss Things” parents need to wake up. We can be a better team with out her. We might not win as many games but we will sure be better off with out her. This disease spreads like a cancer through the team.

The Tennessean reports the box scores as follows;

1st 2nd. 3rd. 4th.

BGA 6 12 4 18

FRHS 7 13 8 7

Final score BGA 40, Father Ryan 35.

From the earlier games against BGA, Father Ryan went from scoring 55 points, then 58 points, down to scoring 35 points. BGA, on the other hand, went from scoring 21 points in their first game, to 34 points in the second game, to 40 points in the tournament game. This makes it very apparent that BGA played pretty much within their skin on offense. On defense, BGA went from allowing us 55 points in our 1st meeting to holding us to 35 points in our final meeting. Two things jump out here, first is good coaching and second is good defense on the part of BGA. Maybe Father Ryan also overlooked BGA, only to focus on the potential game with JP II. Maybe so, maybe not. But, BGA’s offensive and defensive play aside, we imploded. Our team shut down, our bench shut down, and our parents shut down. In reality, it was our very own “Miss Thing” that beat us! Putting her in was wrong. But now the damage has been done. I have an underclassmen that I am having a difficult time offering the correct types of encouragement. I truly feel sorry for the three Father Ryan seniors. It was not supposed to end like this. This was not a game where we got beat, we beat ourselves!

You asked what happened, and I have answered. I have tried to remain fair and objective. Thank you.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes very good sense CPG! I was asking questions to get other thoughts or views. My remark on the player being a direct reflection of the coach was meant to say that the player would not have done any of this if the coach didn't allow it. Sure parents are 100% responsible for their children but this player would not have been able to miss half the game, show up at half time, play the rest of the game and disrupt the team had the coach not allowed this to happen.

My point is when an athlete makes two commitments, one to a school team and one to a AAU or club team, which commitment do they honor first and how do they decide who they should let down. I DO think a player should give all they got to the TEAM, but which team gets priority?

You are correct that the coach allowed it, but what I am saying is that the question should have never been asked. I am not going to tell you or anyone else that I have all the answers, but I can tell you that it would not take me a split second to tell my child “No, you cannot serve two masters.” My child would never have to make the request of the coach.

My hat is off to Taylor Parrish of Harpeth Hall and her parents. They knew that Taylor would go big time volleyball, and she did. She got a full ride to Virginia Tech. She could have most definitely helped Harpeth Hall this year, but the Parrish’s decided that they could not commit 100% to the basketball team. Net result, other players picked up their game from the start. Lacy had a great season and became a much better player not having to play behind Taylor.

Instructor50, that was an excellent post! My children don't go to FRA, but I can relate to everything you said by substituting my children's school for those you posted about. If it makes you feel any better, this, unfortunately, happens more frequently than it ever should. Yes, I've watched coaches have double standards and favorite players and it's just not fair to the other players or the parents. It shouldn't be allowed to happen. I, too, have had a very difficult time explaining to my children how to deal with it. It makes me furious to sit and watch it go on. I don't have a good answer other than I've tried to explain to mine that it is just a part of life and it goes on even in the workplace. The lesson that I hope they gain from it---and believe me we talk about this a lot at our house----is that it is important to always be fair and to treat everyone with respect--no double standards. If you do that you can always hold your head up high and know that you did the right thing. I don't know if this helps you any. I've had a very hard time dealing with it myself. It's hard to find anything positive in that type of situation.

Instructor50:

First of all, your efforts to remain "fair" and "objective" were completely unattained. It is obvious that you are a disgruntled parent that is blaming the coach, other players, and a few mishaps in the season on the fact that your daughter is not playing. Your response to Father Ryan's unfortunate loss to BGA is very immature and very juvenile.

Granted, there were several mistakes made by the coach. As you said, she is a first-year coach, and yes, she made some rookie mistakes not only against BGA, but throughout the year. Rotating the line-up for the first part of the season was wise on her part; however, you simply cannot change the line-up for the first game of the region tournament. Fact of the matter is, every team has a starting five, the same five players (unless injury or illness comes into play) that start every game. Based on the big wins by the Irish throughout the season, it was blatantly obvious who the best five were. Much to the surprise of both the players and the parents, there were a couple of girls that started against BGA that have barely seen the court all year. As a coach, you simply should not do that, regardless of the results. If you noticed, one of the starters was pulled in the first few minutes of the game and barely saw the court again. Based on previous games and performances, it is clear to all that she should have never started.

In response to the "two particular guards that should not be on the floor at the same time", it is clear that your disgruntled parent attitude is shining once again. As a big fan of the Lady Irish, I cannot even imagine which two players this senseless comment is directed at. Were you referring to Longhurst or the Smileys? If so, you are mistaken. According to the stats that were made available prior to the region tournament, Longhurst and the Smiley twins (along with Teegarden and Weisman) led the team in scoring. In addition, these three guards also led the team in assists and steals. I do not know about you, but this does not say to me: “They only pass to each other. They do not attempt to play defense. They never, never try to work the ball down low.” If the guards never worked the ball down low, then why is Teegarden the leading scorer? Does she steal it from the guards? I highly doubt it. Why do the guards lead the team in assists? What team are you watching? Maybe it would be in your best interest to request a stat sheet rather than relying on your own personal opinion, which is clearly influenced by your discontented attitude.

As for Teegarden. “Miss Thing”? Talk about setting a bad example for the players and the team. I do not think that a person who resorts to calling names is in any position to talk about setting good examples. You have no right to label a player about something you know little-to-nothing about. You don’t know the circumstances surrounding her decision, if it was even her decision at all. None of us do. Do the kids run the family at your home? Do you know for a fact that it was Teegarden that made this decision? I doubt you do. Maybe her parents or Teegarden do need to re-evaluate their decision, but how juvenile of you to attack a player and call her names. Would the team be better off without the leading scorer, the leading rebounder, and the third best in steals on the court? If your answer is “yes”, then that just goes to show why you are in the stands and not on the floor coaching.

I can understand the frustration behind “double standards”. The fact of the matter is, we are only seeing the outside of this team. We are not in the practices, the meetings, or the huddles. It is very possible that these double standards may exist, but attacking players is not the solution.

Throughout your response, you take the liberty of speaking for the players and the parents. The credibility of your response is nonexistent. While you can refer to your daughter’s opinions and feelings, you are in NO position to report the feelings and opinions of the other parents and players. Your comments are dramatic and out-of-line (especially when saying that you will no longer contribute to the school). I only hope that the players are mature enough to avoid the accusations and drama you are throwing at them. If they can avoid this, next season will be a powerful team with strong senior leadership that will exceed expectations and the number of wins from this season. GO IRISH! :thumb:

Edited by hsfan11

WOW! I wasn't even there, but that must have been one stressful game . . . for everyone it seems! I agree with Instructor 50 that the solution here is not to blame and call names. The problem will be seen clearer in time, and clearer heads will surely determine how the situation can be improved. Anger seems to prevail right now. I also feel that this is one of life's learning opportunities. First of all it is a game, and not everyone can be the star. Everyone involved with the team has a role to play--be it in the starting line-up, on the bench, or in the stands. It is how we handle that role that really counts. The team star today will not necessarily be the star in the next chapter of life, and the bench player today will have their star shine at another time. We can't all expect to be on top all of the time, just be ready when our star does shine and know that we will ultimately be judged on how we handle our "role."

God bless everyone involved here . . . may you all look at this as an opportunity to grow and learn some valuable life lessons.

hsfan11,

Perhaps you are correct on your statements to Instructor50, but dropping names is not a good thing. These kids did nothing and their names should not be mentioned for any reason.

All,

let us please remember that the kids do get on here and read this stuff.

Thanks ...........

Unfortunately, if and when the kids read this, they will know EXACTLY who is being talked about. Names or no names. I refused to refer to the player in question as "Miss Thing". In a situation like this, I am sure she and anyone who reads this would prefer her real name over the name rudely given to her anyday.

Unfortunately, if and when the kids read this, they will know EXACTLY who is being talked about. Names or no names. I refused to refer to the player in question as "Miss Thing". In a situation like this, I am sure she and anyone who reads this would prefer her real name over the name rudely given to her anyday.

Out there:

Were you agreeing with Instructor 50? Or my response to Instructor 50?

Instructor50:

First of all, your efforts to remain "fair" and "objective" were completely unattained. It is obvious that you are a disgruntled parent that is blaming the coach, other players, and a few mishaps in the season on the fact that your daughter is not playing. Your response to Father Ryan's unfortunate loss to BGA is very immature and very juvenile.

Granted, there were several mistakes made by the coach. As you said, she is a first-year coach, and yes, she made some rookie mistakes not only against BGA, but throughout the year. Rotating the line-up for the first part of the season was wise on her part; however, you simply cannot change the line-up for the first game of the region tournament. Fact of the matter is, every team has a starting five, the same five players (unless injury or illness comes into play) that start every game. Based on the big wins by the Irish throughout the season, it was blatantly obvious who the best five were. Much to the surprise of both the players and the parents, there were a couple of girls that started against BGA that have barely seen the court all year. As a coach, you simply should not do that, regardless of the results. If you noticed, one of the starters was pulled in the first few minutes of the game and barely saw the court again. Based on previous games and performances, it is clear to all that she should have never started.

In response to the "two particular guards that should not be on the floor at the same time", it is clear that your disgruntled parent attitude is shining once again. As a big fan of the Lady Irish, I cannot even imagine which two players this senseless comment is directed at. Were you referring to Longhurst or the Smileys? If so, you are mistaken. According to the stats that were made available prior to the region tournament, Longhurst and the Smiley twins (along with Teegarden and Weisman) led the team in scoring. In addition, these three guards also led the team in assists and steals. I do not know about you, but this does not say to me: “They only pass to each other. They do not attempt to play defense. They never, never try to work the ball down low.” If the guards never worked the ball down low, then why is Teegarden the leading scorer? Does she steal it from the guards? I highly doubt it. Why do the guards lead the team in assists? What team are you watching? Maybe it would be in your best interest to request a stat sheet rather than relying on your own personal opinion, which is clearly influenced by your discontented attitude.

As for Teegarden. “Miss Thing”? Talk about setting a bad example for the players and the team. I do not think that a person who resorts to calling names is in any position to talk about setting good examples. You have no right to label a player about something you know little-to-nothing about. You don’t know the circumstances surrounding her decision, if it was even her decision at all. None of us do. Do the kids run the family at your home? Do you know for a fact that it was Teegarden that made this decision? I doubt you do. Maybe her parents or Teegarden do need to re-evaluate their decision, but how juvenile of you to attack a player and call her names. Would the team be better off without the leading scorer, the leading rebounder, and the third best in steals on the court? If your answer is “yes”, then that just goes to show why you are in the stands and not on the floor coaching.

I can understand the frustration behind “double standards”. The fact of the matter is, we are only seeing the outside of this team. We are not in the practices, the meetings, or the huddles. It is very possible that these double standards may exist, but attacking players is not the solution.

Throughout your response, you take the liberty of speaking for the players and the parents. The credibility of your response is nonexistent. While you can refer to your daughter’s opinions and feelings, you are in NO position to report the feelings and opinions of the other parents and players. Your comments are dramatic and out-of-line (especially when saying that you will no longer contribute to the school). I only hope that the players are mature enough to avoid the accusations and drama you are throwing at them. If they can avoid this, next season will be a powerful team with strong senior leadership that will exceed expectations and the number of wins from this season. GO IRISH! <_<

The Smileys, Longhurst, Teegarden and Wiseman are all due praise for their efforts this year. The thing this team has going against them is the coach. She doesn't play her bench and therefore they have no floor experience when the first string in not playing well. She started the year playing everyone, and when things got a little tough she stopped utilizing the rest of the team. Father Ryan will never have a good girls team unless the coach starts playing her bench and gives them some court time. What has happened this year, just like every other year, is that those players that come off the bench are pulled out of the game if they make one mistake on the floor. They are too afraid of making a mistake to play ball. The girls go out on the floor scared to death that they'll be pulled if they do anything wrong, that they don't play their game. Why keep them on the team if they get absolutely no floor time, even when the team is up 20-25 points. Of course, if she does substitute the people on the bench it's usually all of them together so they look horrible together. I have always admired Pat Summitt -- she runs them in and out to give all of them experience. This team has no depth whatsoever. We have the talent, but they are not given the opportunity. And, no, I don't have a daughter that plays.

This is Kinsley Longhurst

I would like to ask everyone that is talking bad about my team, and my coaches to please stop. This will not bring back the win, it will not bring back playing time, it will not do anything but make people mad.

PLEASE STOP and DELETE your messages.

I loved this team. I love each and every girl on the team. I love my coaches and I love Father Ryan. For whatever it is worth, I gave everything I had for this team. Maybe it wasn’t enough.

Coach Jackson is a great coach and you will see this next year. There will be a great team next year, so let’s not poison it now by putting all this hate on Coacht.

If you have a problem with anything that happened this year, blame it on me. I was suppose to be the senior leader and I will be happy to talk to anyone face to face.

I hope you can put this year behind you and look positively towards next year.

Kinsley