HERCULES?

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Like the title says: Who is the strongest wreslter pound for pound in TN? I personally think it is either Jeff Francis (MBA) he can do 75 military pullups in a row or Aaron Bateman (Ryan) who weighs about 170 and his bench is 340 squat is 474 and power clean is 275 (last time I heard). But Reviez, Coffey, and Hussein hve to be up there to.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread reminds me of something that kept popping into my head as I watched the tournament this past weekend - how many of these kids are on steroids?

I wonder if most of the fans out there are naive enough to think that this doesn't occur.

*Not to insinuate that any of the above named wrestlers have used steroids, because I have absolutely no clue.

Edited by FromFieldtoPitch

This thread reminds me of something that kept popping into my head as I watched the tournament this past weekend - how many of these kids are on steroids?

I wonder if most of the fans out there are naive enough to think that this doesn't occur.

*Not to insinuate that any of the above named wrestlers have used steroids, because I have absolutely no clue.

nooooo.... steroids bad! surely the wrestlers' parents would not fund it, and if not, how would they find the means? i know it is tough for many parents to pay for warmups and travel costs.... and an investment like steroids is a life threatening one

Boys, if you want holes in your heart go ahead.

And Hussein and Reveiz look pretty tough. If Justin Knox was still in hs, my vote would go to him hands down.

nooooo.... steroids bad! surely the wrestlers' parents would not fund it, and if not, how would they find the means? i know it is tough for many parents to pay for warmups and travel costs.... and an investment like steroids is a life threatening one

Boys, if you want holes in your heart go ahead.

And Hussein and Reveiz look pretty tough. If Justin Knox was still in hs, my vote would go to him hands down.

If parents funded the purchase of steroids, that would genuinely make me sick. But there are kids that walked away with medals this past weekend that have used steroids. I have no doubt about that. Again, I don't know anyone specifically that took steroids, but there is no question that it is happening. When a kid wants to win badly enough, he can find a way to try and give himself an edge, and with all of the stuff going on in MLB, the dangers probably don't impress the kids the most. 70 HRs probably do.

But more to the point of the topic of the thread - Danny Tolbert from Red Bank at 160 was absolutely powerful this past weekend. I don't think we have anything to worry ab with steroids there, I think the guy is naturally an absolute beast.

But there are kids that walked away with medals this past weekend that have used steroids. I have no doubt about that.

This is a strong statement and, I do not condone the usage of steroids or any performance enhancing drugs but, this is a strong accusation. Unless you have proof, then this was a post better not to have been made.

It is silly to assume anything. There are kids out there that are genetically gifted and will look more muscular and more thick simply because of this. To assume anything is not fair.

This would bring up the question of testing. Is it coming? I think it will eventually and most likely, sooner than later. But, I hate to see anyone assume anything, especially when it comes to kids.

I'd love to see this thread get back to strength as that is something I know a little about. It scares me to think anyone at this age is using and it frightens me even more that there would be adults and, even other kids, simply assuming anything without any proof.

Like the title says: Who is the strongest wreslter pound for pound in TN? I personally think it is either Jeff Francis (MBA) he can do 75 military pullups in a row or Aaron Bateman (Ryan) who weighs about 170 and his bench is 340 squat is 474 and power clean is 275 (last time I heard). But Reviez, Coffey, and Hussein hve to be up there to.

I don't know many of the wrestlers across the state but, I have had several kids lift in the meets, powerlifting, that I have ran since the 90's. Lots of really storng kids have come through and it would really be interesting to see how strong some of these athletes are in the weight room and otherwise.

In the mid-west, they have powerlifting and weightlifting in the schools. It's a shame that here in the south, we are so far behind.

This is a strong statement and, I do not condone the usage of steroids or any performance enhancing drugs but, this is a strong accusation. Unless you have proof, then this was a post better not to have been made.

It is silly to assume anything. There are kids out there that are genetically gifted and will look more muscular and more thick simply because of this. To assume anything is not fair.

This would bring up the question of testing. Is it coming? I think it will eventually and most likely, sooner than later. But, I hate to see anyone assume anything, especially when it comes to kids.

I'd love to see this thread get back to strength as that is something I know a little about. It scares me to think anyone at this age is using and it frightens me even more that there would be adults and, even other kids, simply assuming anything without any proof.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you that there are kids that are extremely strong due both to being naturally gifted, and also because they train their butts off in the weightroom. But, whether you want to believe it or not, there are also those that are using illegal drugs to help increase their strength.

I hope testing does come into use. It would be for the benefit of the sport and for the benefit of the wrestlers and their families.

I strongly disagree with your statement that "Unless you have proof, then this was a post better not to have been made." If it makes any wrestler, parent, or coach think about the issue, it could be a very positive thing. You say that I am making an accusation, and that is absolutely not true. You say that I am assuming, and you can say that I am assuming that there were kids who walked away with a medal that were using steroids this particular year, but things don't change that much over a few years. The wrestlers may change, but the sociocultural ideals have not changed that much, and the pressures and demands have not changed that much.

It is better to assume that there are kids that are putting themselves at risk than to assume that they're all making the right decision when it comes to using steroids.

Let's not assume anything and get this thread back on track

By the responses that I'm getting, it's obvious that this topic makes many people uncomfortable. Rightly so. I won't say anymore, but I just want to make it very clear that ignoring issues did not help solve anything in MLB, and it won't in this sport either. It's totally the wrong attitude to take. It's clear that a lot of people in the wrestling community still need to open their eyes. And not that this is only a worry in HS wrestling, but also in other HS sports.

I've said what needs to be said, and I won't say anymore.

But, whether you want to believe it or not, there are also those that are using illegal drugs to help increase their strength.

It's not an issue of me believing or being naive, not even close. You find this issue about anywhere. Not just in athletics but, even the typical gym rat. But, that's not my issue here. My concern is a general statement that some of them have to be using and I'm just sure aobut it. That is not an accurate statement. How do you know? Where is the proof? That is my concern. I don't doubt that at some point, somewhere, that there are athletes of all ages using but, unless I have proof, and that would be a test result, then I have no basis, nor do you, to make any general statement.

I hope testing does come into use. It would be for the benefit of the sport and for the benefit of the wrestlers and their families.

I agree but, then we have the whoel issue of parents aloowing the kids to be tested. Is it legal? And so forth.

I strongly disagree with your statement that "Unless you have proof, then this was a post better not to have been made." If it makes any wrestler, parent, or coach think about the issue, it could be a very positive thing.

If you think that anyone using is concerned or will be disuaded from using because of an accusation, then you are way off. Could it be a deterrent to those considering using? Perhaps.

You say that I am making an accusation, and that is absolutely not true. You say that I am assuming, and you can say that I am assuming that there were kids who walked away with a medal that were using steroids this particular year, but things don't change that much over a few years. The wrestlers may change, but the sociocultural ideals have not changed that much, and the pressures and demands have not changed that much.

Then produce the proof, simple enough.

It is better to assume that there are kids that are putting themselves at risk than to assume that they're all making the right decision when it comes to using steroids.

isn't that more like guilty until proven innocent? I'm not ok at all with that.

By the responses that I'm getting, it's obvious that this topic makes many people uncomfortable. Rightly so. I won't say anymore, but I just want to make it very clear that ignoring issues did not help solve anything in MLB, and it won't in this sport either. It's totally the wrong attitude to take. It's clear that a lot of people in the wrestling community still need to open their eyes. And not that this is only a worry in HS wrestling, but also in other HS sports.

I've said what needs to be said, and I won't say anymore.

No one is ignoring the issues, certaily not me. My credibility in the strength world relies on my drug free status. What I don't like to see is a general blanket statement that some athletes have to be using and you know that they are. Does that make me sensitive? Please. MLB? If anyone thinks that the steroid issue and otherwise is a new issue, then that's where we all need to open our eyes. HOw baseball became the leading drug sport is beyond me. All sports have had issues with performance enhancing drugs long before now. In the strength world, we are so behind on testing that is literally a joke. That being said, it's still something we need to stay on top of. My entire debate here is that unless you know 100%, then making any type of accusation is simply unfair. Does that mean no one is using? Certainly not.