Halls vs. Bearden & Powell vs. William-Blount

hallsroundball06

Powell[/url'>Fan' post='825959763' date='Feb 25 2006 - 10:35 PM']

Funny you mention the 28 by sharp, game they are talking about on tv right now, mention how halls left sharp in when they are down by 30 about 15 of sharps came from the last q. when there 3's where in, not very hard to score, Announcers where question halls's coach on why they leave him in there when powell had noone in.

Your right Powell fan but who else could run the team.Segers was in foul trouble and was having an off night. Halls doesn't have the depth most teams do in the guard department. The coach was trying to get the confidence back up to prep for Monday nights game. This game you have to admit was over in the first half. Who else on the Halls bench could have run the team who lacked confidence?

Edited by ZCAR

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that Powell still had their starters in the game in the 4th quarter when they were up by 30 points, and they didnt take them out until a few minutes into the 4th. I agree, who is going to run the team if its not Sharp? ZCAR, I hope you are right, but I just don't see it happening. It may be closer than expected but I think Bearden wins by double digits.

ZCAR, I hope you are right, but I just don't see it happening. It may be closer than expected but I think Bearden wins by double digits.

Come on this is High School basketball anything can happen? You know that.

Wasn't it just last week we lost to #4 Red Bank just by 9 in their house.

Lets just hope everyone had there bad game friday nite and have now moved on and got it out of their system.

Edited by ZCAR

Powell[/url]Fan' post='825959651' date='Feb 25 2006 - 09:34 PM']

when you get beat by 30 plus, that does go back to your point guard since they are supposed to run your team, I still say as of right now hargis is playing much much better than sharp did this year. Hargis didnt start off as strong but he is doing it when it when it counts.

Players that win in the post seasons are the ones people remember

Cameron played hurt through almost 3 quarters of the game. He was cold in the first half but still scored 28 of halls 39. Check their season stats, They speak for themselves. www.knoxnews.com/prepxtra

I agree with you crown. Powell just simply beat Halls last night. There are no excuses here. Hargis is a good player, but Cameron runs the team better than Hargis runs his team. If Halls had a big man inside, not only would the team be better, but Cameron would be better because he would have more options.

Here's what so funny about this. I've said ALL ALONG that "some" have been jealous of the basketball "brotherhood" at Powell. Want proof, read above.

Hargis is the best pg in Knox County and he proved that by leading his team through a 4 game winning streak in the tournament (when it really counts) beating all the teams who had beat them during season play. That record speaks far louder than any prepxtra stats. It's unfortunate that at the beginning of the season, Hargis let certain people who claim to be his friends get in his head and influence the way he played ball, but that's a maturity issue and one that he is obviously working through as his current level of play certainly exceeds any other point guards in Knox County's. I think everyone will agree that it's good to see this kid grow up and rise to his potential.

Powell's players have certainly dealt with their fair share of "growing pains" this year and their season record certainly reflects it. But if they continue playing ball like they are, they should be heading to the state. I think the situation at Powell can be a good lesson to everyone when it comes to team ball. That lesson is stop selfishly glorifying yourself and trying to take the credit for what the whole team must do to win: Not just one player. When it comes to winning, it's all about the whole team and the team desire to win; not the individuals, not about who starts, and certainly not the seniority. Has anyone seen the movie "Miracle?"

Congratulations to Lee Smith for being name tournament MVP and to the Panthers for winning their second consecutive district tourney crown. And good luck to their continued success. EVERYONE is supporting your WINNING! <_<

Edited by Ntheknow2

Hargis is the best pg in Knox County and he proved that by leading his team through a 4 game winning streak in the tournament (when it really counts) beating all the teams who had beat them during season play. That record speaks far louder than any prepxtra stats. It's unfortunate that at the beginning of the season, Hargis let certain people who claim to be his friends get in his head and influence the way he played ball, but that's a maturity issue and one that he is obviously working through as his current level of play certainly exceeds any other point guards in Knox County's. I think everyone will agree that it's good to see this kid grow up and rise to his potential.

If Hargis led his team to all four of those victories by himself, then I would say that yes, Hargis is a better point guard than Sharp, but Smith, Conner, those are some great basketball players, Hargis didn't lead his team to all those victories he is surrounded by talent, and talent wins. Who does Sharp have? Powell had a four game winning streak, not Matt Hargis.

If Hargis led his team to all four of those victories by himself, then I would say that yes, Hargis is a better point guard than Sharp, but Smith, Conner, those are some great basketball players, Hargis didn't lead his team to all those victories he is surrounded by talent, and talent wins. Who does Sharp have? Powell had a four game winning streak, not Matt Hargis.

See what you don't realize is that nobody said that Hargis did all that by himself. But because he is the point guard, a position that operates much like the pitcher in baseball, or the quarterback in football, he is the player who orchestrates the execution of the game. Hargis worked to make his fellow team mates perform by making good passes, protecting the ball with good ball handling, and contributing his support in points, rebounds, steals, assists, etc. When players realize the way to play any ball is to play unselfishly, then the rewards and pay off will come. Players in those positions should work to make the whole team execute rather than taking on all that responsibility alone. Yes, Hargis is playing with a lot of talent, but he is also talented and has had to learn that he is just as responsible for his role in the wins as the rest of those players. Consider also that Powell's wins weren't just because of three players. TC Dinkins and Jason Seymore are two players who performed to boost Powells wins against West, Oak Ridge and Halls. Lee Smith was held to two points during one game. When a point guard plays his role unselfishly, then the others will too.

Edited by Ntheknow2

Look, I hope Halls beats Bearden. It's always been my belief that 3 is a stronger district than 4 anyway. There's no doubt in my mind that between Sharp and Segars, they can out score Bearden from the outside. What it comes down to though is this.....is your team ready for the season to be over or not? Now is certainly not the time to blaming each other for anything other than a lack of desire to not win. I think when each player on the team just worries about overcoming his own attitude and play rather than his teammate's short comings, then that's a sign of real maturity. You certainly don't have to make a player feel worse if he has a bad game because he is certainly dealing with that himself. It doesn't help if everyone else is giving him grief too.

Halls needs to put it behind them and move on. Remember, Powell had to do that too when you guys beat them.

Good Luck against Bearden. Anything can happen. And I certainly hope that Powell gets to see Maryville again <_<

Edited by Ntheknow2

Look, I hope Halls beats Bearden. It's always been my belief that 3 is a stronger district than 4 anyway. There's no doubt in my mind that between Sharp and Segars, they can out score Bearden from the outside. What it comes down to though is this.....is your team ready for the season to be over or not? Now is certainly not the time to blaming each other for anything other than a lack of desire to not win. I think when each player on the team just worries about overcoming his own attitude and play rather than his teammate's short comings, then that's a sign of real maturity. You certainly don't have to make a player feel worse if he has a bad game because he is certainly dealing with that himself. It doesn't help if everyone else is giving him grief too.

Halls needs to put it behind them and move on. Remember, Powell had to do that too when you guys beat them.

Good Luck against Bearden. Anything can happen. And I certainly hope that Powell gets to see Maryville again :thumb:

Agree with you 3AAA may be stronger than 4AAA and may expect a sweep of the region except for Bearden and Tony White.

Last year, the 3rd and 4th place team out of 3-AAA played for the region championship. This year, the same two teams won the regular season 3-AAA and ended up 3rd and 4th in 3-AAA again. Of course, you know I am talking about the teams from Anderson County: Clinton and Oak Ridge. This year in the regular season, Clinton (4th-3-AAA) defeated the 4-AAA 2nd-place team Farragut twice and Halls (2nd-3-AAA) twice. So, in a nutshell, anybody can beat anybody in 3-AAA and the same goes for 4-AAA. I am a Clinton fan as the name implies, but I think Powell is the team to beat this year. They are very strong across the board. The last time they beat Clinton, it was due to their 3-point shot, not the strong post play, which is their primary strength (obvious). As far as guard play, Clinton can match up or exceed any team in Region 2 in that category. So, let's just get ready for an exciting tourney in Region 2. Has anyone seen the schedule ?