Preseason Region 5-3A

Guest catfish-hunter

Guest catfish-hunter

The end of the schoolyear is just around the corner and the final week of the high school basketball season is next week. For those fans that means a long wait unil November but for football fans that means Spring Practice is right around the corner. Region 5-3A saw three teams win 9+ games in 2005 and in 2006 the region as a whole should be even more competitive, especially from #2-#8.

David Lipscomb: The unanimous preseason favorite to win the region has to be David Lipscomb. The Mustangs return Matt Elrod to the offensive backfield (along with Kevin Davis and Jeremy Holt) and they'll have some experienced linemen to run behind up front. Lipscomb returns three of the starting five offensive linemen who started for last year's state runner up bunch. Defensively Lipscomb returns five of their front seven (Braden Binkley and Hayden Cook being the lone exceptions) that started in last year's title game. What will veteran coach Glen McCadams, who just resigned as the school's AD to focus more on football, have to replace this year????? Offensively the quarterback battle will get underway when spring drills open up next week. Clay Smith did an outstanding job this past year of replacing Burton Elrod (now playing at Samford). Despite early season struggles in the passing game Smith wound up having a solid season throwing and running the football on his way to leading Lipscomb to a state championship game appearance. Defensively Lipscomb will have to replace three of the starting four in the defensive secondary (Burton Wood being the lone returning starter). All in all the ingridients are there for this bunch of Mustangs to return back to Murfreesboro and win coach Glen McCadams a third state championsip (1994 & 2002 were the two years he won state titles).

Outside of David Lipscomb the region is a BIG QUESTION MARK. The preseason favorite to give Lipscomb a run in the region will likely be the Tigers of Marshall Co. William Johnson's bunch returns several key pieces to an offense that really scored at will in '05. Quarterback Kellen Gower threw for 1,841 yards and 16TD's one year ago and Dont'a Hightower also returns to the offensive backfield. After a slow start in Johnson's pass happy offense Hightower came on strong down the stretch rushing for 770 yards and 8TD's in the team's final four games a year ago. With this high powered offense what is Marshall Co.'s downfall????? The defense (which needs to improve for this team to make a run in 3A this year). Montgomery Central is a team that should be much improved this year. Rickey Ray's Indians return Benton Jackson to the offensive backfield next year and he'll be joined by a couple of players who should battle for the starting quarterback job in spring drills. Evan Harrison led this team to a playoff appearance in 2004 and had them off to a fast start last year before going down to a season ending injury in the Rossview game. After trying Jackson at quarterback the team found a solid performer in William Rittenhouse (who was named to the All-Region 5-3A team as a freshman a year ago). Giles Co. came on strong late last year under first year head coach Tim Johnson. The Bobcats have since seen their coach leave for BGA and they've found a replacement in David O'Connor (Lee HS in Huntsville, AL). O'Connor has a stud in the backfield returning this year in Sam Edgmon. Edgmon rushed for more than 1,000 yards and 11TD's last year and he should be expected once again to carry the load this year. The Bobcats will need to replace playmakers Brandon Myles and Deron Garrett to make a playoff push in this difficult region. Coach Travis McKnight is expected to return from Iraq and be back on the sidelines for Spring Hill this fall. The Raiders have plenty of talent to work with and they could be the suprise of the region this upcoming season. Quarterback Magwan Smith is a very good athlete who can beat teams by both throwing the football as well as running it. Jonathan Walker also returns to the Raiders backfield this year. Walker had a great game in the season opener against Marshall Co. last year rushing for 250+ yards and 4TD's but his season was unfortunately cut short by injury.

Rounding out the region is Page, Creek Wood, and Cheatham Co. All three of these teams replace somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 seniors from last year's teams and all will have to play youngsters in 2006. Despite that fact all of these teams should be in the playoff mix once again. Creek Wood has a great group of young linemen and a star in the making in quarterback TJ Dollard. They will have to replace Darren Fizer's leadership in the trenches as well as Josh Vaughn and Ben Steverson in the offensive backfield. Page has the region's bext young quarterback in Blake Neel, who led the team to wins in two of the team's final three games one year ago. The Patriots will have to replace Josh McMurray and improve on the defensive side of the football to get back in the region title mix. Cheatham returns Joey Beach, who caught three TD's offensively and had three INT's defensively a year ago. Beach received all-state recognition for his services as the team's punter a year ago. The Cubs will have to replace starting backs Jones & Potts as well as tackling machine Clint Casteel defensively.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest catfish-hunter

1.) David Lipscomb

2.) Marshall Co.

3.) Creek Wood

4.) Cheatham Co.

5.) Montgomery Central

6.) Spring Hill

7.) Page

8.) Giles Co.

There are my personal preseason predictions now that all of the coaching shakeups are over and we can enter spring drills.

Guest catfish-hunter

I completly agree cat. I wanna know what you think about 4-3a. :lol:

Region 4-3A:

1.) Pearl-Cohn: Brunetti will keep things the same thus PC's success will continue.

2.) White House: BDP returns many key pieces from last year's elite eight bunch.

3.) Sycamore: Halstead's players will be tougher this year thus more successful.

4.) Greenbrier: The Bobcats are simply too well coached to miss the playoffs.

5.) Station Camp: Wynn and Toney makeup the best backfield in the region.

6.) Macon Co.: Tigers were a suprise last year and replacing Dallas will be tough.

7.) DeKalb Co.: These Tigers have nowhere to go but up and they must take it one step at a time.

Region 4-3A:

1.) Pearl-Cohn: Brunetti will keep things the same thus PC's success will continue.

2.) White House: BDP returns many key pieces from last year's elite eight bunch.

3.) Sycamore: Halstead's players will be tougher this year thus more successful.

4.) Greenbrier: The Bobcats are simply too well coached to miss the playoffs.

5.) Station Camp: Wynn and Toney makeup the best backfield in the region.

6.) Macon Co.: Tigers were a suprise last year and replacing Dallas will be tough.

7.) DeKalb Co.: These Tigers have nowhere to go but up and they must take it one step at a time.

I like your predictions, however there is gonna be a team to shake things up, and make things interesting. Who do you think that will be.

Guest catfish-hunter

STATION CAMP

I'd have to agree with you DANTE :thumb:

The Bisons return the top running back duo in the entire region in Randall Toney and Edward Wynn and they could easily be a team that could contend for a region title. It's true Station Camp does need to replace quarterback Will Anderson but in their Wing-T attack all he really did was manage the game. If their linemen can step up then they could have two 1,000 yard backs and that could lead to a playoff bid for Station Camp in 2006.

With the exception of DeKalb Co. I say any of the teams in this region has a legit shot of winning the title.

Pearl-Cohn is the most talented team but their new coaches are unproven thus far. The Firebirds must find a back to replace Council. White House loses Mr. Everthing in Ladd but West is a very capable replacement and their line will be better this year. The Blue Devils need for Townsend or Parker to step up and provide something in the passing game. Sycamore has one of the region's most explosive players in Lohin and wherever he plays he'll be successful. The War Eagles need to find a back that can stay healthy and carry the load. Greenbrier will once again be the best coached team in the region and they'll be physical like always. Also like always the Bobcats will have to replace the starting backfield of Herndon, Pigg, and Dill. Macon Co. got much better once Kirby took over at quarterback last year and they should be solid there again under second year coach Daniel Cook. The Tigers need to find someone who can provide somewhat of a rushing attack now that Michael Dallas is gone. DeKalb Co. is still two years away from contending for postseason play in my opinion.

im curious do the teams in other regions such as 5 think they can even touch region 2 which has had almost all of the champions in what...the last decade?

No chance, I am so scared that I may leave the state and change my name. Maybe we should cancel 3A ball except for region 2. Yea that's it. All 3A for 06 is hereby officialy cancelled.

Guest catfish-hunter

No chance, I am so scared that I may leave the state and change my name. Maybe we should cancel 3A ball except for region 2. Yea that's it. All 3A for 06 is hereby officialy cancelled.

Obviously FlyingV46 stays up at night rubbing 'em out when it comes to talking about teams in Region 2-3A.

Hey FlyingV46 I like history. In fact that would be my favorite subject and judging by your post I can tell that you are a history guru as well. You did say "the last decade" correct????????? Since the "last decade" matters for teams in 2-3A then I'll assume that it matters for the rest of the 3A teams in the state :thumb:

THE LAST DECADE (1996-2005):

2-3A Champions over the past decade:

Austin East (2001 State Champs)

Fulton (2003 & 2004 State Champs)

Livingston Academy (2005 State Champs)

NOTE: there are no state championships in the past decade from 1-3A or 3-3A.

4-3A & 5-3A over the past decade Champions:

Pearl-Cohn (1996 & 1997 State Champs)

White House (1997 State Champs)

David Lipscomb (2002 State Champs): also won a state title in 1994 :lol:

IN OTHER WORDS, your mighty East-TN teams have won the exact same amount of State Championships in the last decade as have the 3A teams here in Middle-TN. That even includes me being very kind by giving you LA's State Title (Livingston Academy is really a Middle-TN team).

The numbers don't lie when you look at what all the teams in 3A (from each part of the state) have done over the course of the past decade B)

Edited by catfish-hunter