New Helmet Rules and Removing Batter's Box Lines

mccuistionm

January 1, 2006 - the helmet rules went in to affect.

Has anyone had an umpire check helmets for NOCSAE stamp on facemask or warning label on back of helmet?

SITUATION 2: While checking the equipment in the visiting team’s dugout, the umpires find that although all the helmets have face guards on them, three do not have

the permanently-affixed NOCSAE approval. RULING: The umpires will have the three helmets that do not have the proper NOCSAE approval removed from the dugout. The visiting team will only be able to use those helmets that have the proper NOCSAE approval. (1-6-6)

SITUATION 3: During the pregame inspection of equipment, the umpires notice that the home team has brand new helmets with the NOCSAE-approval embossed stamp on them and equipped with NOCSAE approved face guards, but none of the helmets have a “warning” label on them. RULING: None of the helmets may be used. In order to be legal and used in the game, helmets must have the following, visible and legible: 1) a permanently affixed NOCSAE stamp, 2) the text, “Meets NOCSAE Standard” permanently affixed to the face guard, and 3) a legible “warning” label. (1-6-1; 1-6-6)

OR

Had this rule called yet....

PENALTY ESTABLISHED FOR INTENTIONALLY REMOVING BOUNDARY LINES (3-6-17): Players and coaches are intentionally removing the lines of the batter’s box to gain an advantage, primarily for their “slap hitters.” Removal of any boundary line makes enforcement of the rules much more difficult for the umpires. A strike will be called on the batter if a member of the offense intentionally removes the line, and a ball will be awarded to the batter if a member of the defense intentionally erases a line. A team warning will be issued, with the next offense resulting in the head coach being restricted to the dugout. Players are being coached to remove these lines; therefore, the most severe penalty is assessed to the head coach.

Just wondering?

An opposing player was warned about wiping out the batter box during a scrimmage but nothing was really done since it was just a scrimmage. I have seen several players do it so far (in scrimmages, play days, and games) and nothing has been said. Don't think that when we get against a team with slappers or heavy hitters up in the box that I won't watch for it and argue my butt off for the call.

I have a question...

Is their a rule that says the batter's box must been drawn? AND if not, does the dimensions of the box still exist even without lines?

An opposing player was warned about wiping out the batter box during a scrimmage but nothing was really done since it was just a scrimmage. I have seen several players do it so far (in scrimmages, play days, and games) and nothing has been said. Don't think that when we get against a team with slappers or heavy hitters up in the box that I won't watch for it and argue my butt off for the call.

I have a question...

Is their a rule that says the batter's box must been drawn? AND if not, does the dimensions of the box still exist even without lines?

First home game very first batter who has habit of digging dirt, not wiping the batter box lines, but the dirt kick landed on the lines. called strike and first warning. This batter is a senior and playing for UT next year no intention to wipe the lines. She comes up again later, there are no lines left due to wear and tear of plying softball. She again wipes dirt wih her cleats to establish footing, of course umpire has the eagle eye on her feet, called strike again sends coach to the dugout. Coaches argue that she had to have intent, but umpire stuck to his guns.

Dumb rule, due to what one umpire told me during nationals was that the lines are more or less cosmetic and helps the umpire to a point, but due to some parks not marking the boxes correctly or the line disappearing after several innings it is up to the umpire to decide where the batters box is or is not.

If they are going to enforce this rule, umpires please have common sense on what is intentional and what is not.

First home game very first batter who has habit of digging dirt, not wiping the batter box lines, but the dirt kick landed on the lines. called strike and first warning. This batter is a senior and playing for UT next year no intention to wipe the lines. She comes up again later, there are no lines left due to wear and tear of plying softball. She again wipes dirt wih her cleats to establish footing, of course umpire has the eagle eye on her feet, called strike again sends coach to the dugout. Coaches argue that she had to have intent, but umpire stuck to his guns.

Dumb rule, due to what one umpire told me during nationals was that the lines are more or less cosmetic and helps the umpire to a point, but due to some parks not marking the boxes correctly or the line disappearing after several innings it is up to the umpire to decide where the batters box is or is not.

If they are going to enforce this rule, umpires please have common sense on what is intentional and what is not.

We played yesterday, and the umps told our grils of the new rules, the frist 9 batters all he was worred about was the lines, there was no rules broken so he could not make the call. But he was sure watching !!! I think the ASA rules say as long a left handed batter is in the box when the ball leaves the pitchers hand it dose not matter were they hit the ball, coreact me if i am wrong. In other words as long as a left handed slapper is in the box when the ball leaves the pitchers hand they do not have to be in the box when they hit the ball???? Edited by fishunt

A slapper can't have a foot on the ground outside the box when she makes contact. It is basically left up to the umpire's discretion.

To respond to the idea that umpires will ever common sense, most of them do but it's the ones that don't that give them all a bad name. I agree, intention must be a prerequisite to making the call about wiping out the lines.

We played yesterday, and the umps told our grils of the new rules, the frist 9 batters all he was worred about was the lines, there was no rules broken so he could not make the call. But he was sure watching !!! I think the ASA rules say as long a left handed batter is in the box when the ball leaves the pitchers hand it dose not matter were they hit the ball, coreact me if i am wrong. In other words as long as a left handed slapper is in the box when the ball leaves the pitchers hand they do not have to be in the box when they hit the ball????

I have a question...

Our team had a scrimmage a week or so ago and the umpire told the girls that anyone that messed the lines up it would be a strike. No one on either team got called for this. I have seen girls in the past intentionally wipe the line on the front of the box so an umpire should be able to tell if its intentional or not. I think its one of those rules that have alot of the interpretation falling on whatever umpire is there. This rule can also depending on the umpire make or break a game.

Our team had a scrimmage a week or so ago and the umpire told the girls that anyone that messed the lines up it would be a strike. No one on either team got called for this. I have seen girls in the past intentionally wipe the line on the front of the box so an umpire should be able to tell if its intentional or not. I think its one of those rules that have alot of the interpretation falling on whatever umpire is there. This rule can also depending on the umpire make or break a game.

Saw a team from Texas at Nationals getting front foot completely out of the box to get on top of the rise ball. Line had been removed from the "dirt kick". Ump called about 3 or 4 of there batters out for being out of the box.

Saw a team from Texas at Nationals getting front foot completely out of the box to get on top of the rise ball. Line had been removed from the "dirt kick". Ump called about 3 or 4 of there batters out for being out of the box.

You know, I am glad the umpires are enforcing the rules. I just wish 1/2 of the umpires I see at high school games knew all the rules. It baffles me how many dont, and quite honestly how many do not EVER spend the time to learn them.

You know, I am glad the umpires are enforcing the rules. I just wish 1/2 of the umpires I see at high school games knew all the rules. It baffles me how many dont, and quite honestly how many do not EVER spend the time to learn them.

I agree, I want the umpires to enforce the rules but that is where the trouble starts they either don't know all the rules or only enforce them half the time.

A slapper can't have a foot on the ground outside the box when she makes contact. It is basically left up to the umpire's discretion.

To respond to the idea that umpires will ever common sense, most of them do but it's the ones that don't that give them all a bad name. I agree, intention must be a prerequisite to making the call about wiping out the lines.

ASA

RULE#7 BATTING

SECTION 3. BATTING POSITION

A.Prior to the pictch, the batter must have both completely within the lines of the box. The batter may touch the line but no part of the foot may be out side the lines prior to the pitch. (This says after to the pitch, she can leave the box just like a base runner when the ball leaves the pitcher hand, IT IS THEN A LIVE BALL, ALL PLAY CAN TAKE PLACE,the key words here is prior to the pitch,)

SECTION 3. C

After entering the batter's box, the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot between pitches and while taking signals and pracitice swings.

EXCEPTIONS: the batter can leave the box:

1. if the ball is hit foul or fair.

2. on the swing, A SLAP or check swing.

3> if froce outof the box by a pitch.

4.on a wild pitch or pass ball.

5. if there is attempted play.

6. if time out has been called.

7. if the pitcher leaves the 8 ft circle or the chtcher leaves the catchers box.

It looks like to me thar a left handed slapper can leave the box once the ball has left the pitchers hand

Edited by fishunt

Thanks!! I was not sure of how the rule read. I was just going off of what I was told.

ASA

RULE#7 BATTING

SECTION 3. BATTING POSITION

A.Prior to the pictch, the batter must have both completely within the lines of the box. The batter may touch the line but no part of the foot may be out side the lines prior to the pitch. (This says after to the pitch, she can leave the box just like a base runner when the ball leaves the pitcher hand, IT IS THEN A LIVE BALL, ALL PLAY CAN TAKE PLACE,the key words here is prior to the pitch,)

SECTION 3. C

After entering the batter's box, the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot between pitches and while taking signals and pracitice swings.

EXCEPTIONS: the batter can leave the box:

1. if the ball is hit foul or fair.

2. on the swing, A SLAP or check swing.

3> if froce outof the box by a pitch.

4.on a wild pitch or pass ball.

5. if there is attempted play.

6. if time out has been called.

7. if the pitcher leaves the 8 ft circle or the chtcher leaves the catchers box.

It looks like to me thar a left handed slapper can leave the box once the ball has left the pitchers hand